90% skill is just having a good internet connection

Discussion in 'General' started by -Mayama-, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Empty

Empty Member

cl_rubberband 1

2. communism

communism poof

dunno bout you guys but ping is obvious as shit for me
    cant stand playin on the g4tc server, even with a 200 ping everything feels slugish

3. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I don't notice any differences because my fps rate makes everything look like a sluggish slideshow anyways.

4. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

yeah same thing for me, if im playing on euro server full of ppl and emp_money at the same time then ill probably get like 15 to 30 fps max
    on VIPER i mostly get 45 to 120 depends on the map (also most large maps like duststorm or M valley i get 50 to 75)

5. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Fps lag and ping are distinct from each other...

6. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

40% Having less than 300 ping
    40% Having more than 15? fps
    20% Skill

7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Have the same issue. I try to prevent infantry battles with a high ping, because they will only cause frustration. Fortunately at Empires there are many other important things to do, where ping doesn't hurt that much.

I don't know, if this can solved somehow. But maybe we should concentrate to make infantry weapons also useable with a ping at 150+.
    For example BEcar can be used at nearly every ping but NFHR not. Aiming for headshots is much more easy with a low ping. And especially for melee you need a low ping.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Or we make more people play the mod, and make them play on the server closest to their destination? Hell, even Australia got some people that could make a server.

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

There is a fairly noticeable difference between sub 100 and 150-200. I find it way worse for infantry as well. Tanks lag is a meh factor your shooting something with splash usually against fairly big targets, it can be a bit choppy but it doesn't really fuck you over. Sure infantry feels smother because of prediction but its not, its every bit as choppy as being in a tank except your trying to hit a small target with a hitscan weapon.

10. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I've seen the exact opposite. Vehicles don't use prediction so a ping of 200 will essentially mean a .4 second delay between you doing something and the vehicle responding (.2 to the server, .2 back to you). Infantry prediction causes issues (see being shot around corners), but the effect is much less disconcerting.

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

200ms is round-trip time.

12. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Prediction just makes it seem smoother and harder to tell the difference between 50 ping and 150 ping. It is there and noticeable. Less so in the new patch but in 2.12 it was VERY noticeable at least for me. With NFAR and BEHR I would pretty much start swapping targets before kill messages/death animations were showing because I knew I had shot enough to kill a person. If I played on euro servers I couldn't do this and it would routinely fuck me over. Also afaik ping is total travel time not 1 way.

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

whatever. i'm not going to argue beyond saying that i'm the best tank driver in empires and latency issues are a bigger deal with vehicles than they are with infantry.

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I remember when I went from wireless to direct it was a huge difference. I'm gonna be back on wireless again soon tho :(..

15. Senor_Hybrido

Senor_Hybrido Member

I just find it difficult to handle vehicles with my 400ms ping on the main G4TC server. Just the time between hitting E and actually entering the tank is about half a second, and the vehicles respond horribly slowly. That's why I rarely drive on that server and even when I do, I have to drive slowly.

As for shooting, I suck at it bad ping or no, so I can't say for sure how much the lag affects my aim.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Pfft you wish. I know at least 3 guys who can run circles round you. Finding bioplasma =/= awesome driver

17. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

I have to agree, don't get those 20 kill streaks for no reason.

18. Empty

Empty Member

It's funny because pickled griefs teams by researching meds bio and plasma just for himself and then abandons the comm vehicle.

Best playar evar.

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I'm sure having hacked models/maps/scripts helps a lot too, :rolleyes:.

20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Name Them

And I Shall Crush Them