2 months sober of gaming, I have finally cracked

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lawliet, Oct 20, 2013.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

you should save the stimulants for when you actually need them. people's first semesters are usually all over the place since they are adjusting. luckily where i live, theres another level of school in between high school and uni so its easier to transition

also your reaction to two months without games is hilarious since i was unable to do anything on a computer for months multiple times and never had your problem

2. FN198

FN198 Member

Oh man that's hilarious. Good luck with the schoolwork Lawliet. It took me about 5 years but I got my degree.

Now for some unsolicited advice: start building a career now. It doesn't have to be something that you 'love' and it can even start with a retail position. Just make sure you're developing professional skills and have money to buy ice and alcohol.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You're too poor to buy a proper cooler?
    loli know what he meant

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yes, a better case for HD notebooks has never been made.

Stay away from Guild Wars 2 at all cost! It has already ruined me, no need for another victim!

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Guild wars had no affect on me, so I don't understand how you were poisoned.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

It's the epic WvW battles that sucked me in, same as in Empires.

7. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

See, that there is your problem. You bought a smartphone without the phone.

8. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I have no clue how you guys can possibly get a degree in this age of constant distractions. I've always been a vidiot. When I was your age, I played video games on those stand up machines - PacMan, Space Invaders, Asteroids. I came in second in a college wide Asteroids, Space Invaders contest, won a T-Shirt and case of beer. And if there wasn't some idiot talking to me about how amazing I was playing the whole time, I would have won. You had to count the number of ships, and there was a pattern, and you had to shoot with exact timing, and this idiot is blathering away - "How the hell are you able to get high score every single shot".

Anyway - I failed my first Computer test (Fortran), in college. I asked the professor - I read everything, how they hell is it that I failed. He said "If you need to spend 100 hours a week in the lab, DO IT !". So I lived in the lab, aced every test after that and got highest class score by 20 points on Assembler (Hardest class there was). Guys were pissed that I threw off the grading curve.

Everything has a speed bump - mostly you must learn how to learn. Programming is about putting in the time to completely own the language, then be creative enough to come up with something that blows people away. As I suspect many things are the same.

• Setup a schedule. I log off around 10pm every week night, fucking set an alarm. GET ENOUGH SLEEP. Give yourself an hour cooldown before sleep.
    • Setup a study schedule and do it away from temptation - like the library - EVERY DAY. GO ALONE unless you're in a study group. Bring a snack so you don't feel compelled to leave because your hungry, stick to the schedule.
    • Alot for play time - and stick to the schedule.
    • Your life is going to be defined by the grade you graduate with, then after you get that first job - it's all about your own initiative and how well you get along with others. And from what I've seen - many of you are fucked in this respect. ;) Only way those assholes who are smart but socially fucked will make it is to be self employed.
    • Finally EXERCISE. This will get you tired enough to sleep for eight hours. At your age you may need nine hours.
    • Watch this video: russell_foster_why_do_we_sleep.html

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Wise words from a master himself I assume? Thanks so much for the advice. Especially the segment about staying in the library and bringing a snack. I was going to walk a block to the campus center to snack on some nom noms but that's actually a better idea.

As for everything else, yesterday was the last day I had taken caffeine + theanine. As for melatonin, I'm trying to get off of it since the effects are really fucking me over in terms of sleep schedule management (I only get 4 hours of sleep and nap around 3-4 hours in the late afternoon). I'm also a bit worried of withdrawal symptoms which usually fuck my head over for 1-2 days and leave me shakey. As for anything else, hopefully my next exam goes good.

10. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

So far I've been putting in somewhat minimal effort in school and still smoke weed and play games all da time. Still getting A's in most classes unless the teacher is complete shit, then everyone gets a shit grade in that class. You really just need to go in with the attitude of knowing you are going to fuck shit up (in a good way) and everything will fall into place. Yes you still have to work but eventually it will become automatic when you start doing shit. Also being competitive helps, if you have friends in any classes, make it your goal to completely stomp them in terms of your academic success. And anxiety, that shit is there for a reason. When you feel like shit, it usually means you gotta get back to twerk.

11. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

#420 #rekt

12. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Liquid cooling ma nigga. That shit is cool. Only thing I'm worried about is refilling coolant and replacing pipes.

13. Fooshi

How's the H60i temps? I got an H100i about a month back and it's doing a brilliant job keeping my FX-8350 cool. I'd OC if it wasn't for my mobo though. D:

14. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Stimulants and sleep aids will screw you up. I know if I take a sleeping pill or muscle relaxant, I am toast until noon the next day, then lethargic the whole day. I don't know how people do sleeping pills every night, unless you're taking stimulants in the morning, then good luck with your health. It will catch up with you.

I used to exercise in the afternoon at college when my roommate wasn't there. I loved getting seriously pumped up then walking down the hall with the shirt off. The girls would gasp when they saw my hugeness. In college I was 210 lbs of "don't fuck with me". One of my college room mates was a 250 lb beast who could run faster than anyone I ever knew. If you fucked with him - he would chase you, wrap his arms around you and run into a wall. He never hit anyone. And everyone fucked with him ONCE. I would just yell at the skinny bullet who hit him in the chest and ran "DON'T RUN, YOU'LL JUST MAKE IT WORSE".

Anyway - get that shit out of your system and tire yourself out every day. Sitting on a computer is not going to do it.

Re: Library. When I studied in school, I would make every excuse there was to do something else. Then guys I hung with started going to the library. They would say - "Sunday - Library - 2-5, then dinner". You didn't have a choice, you were there until 5, so my grades all went way up. And it was just a lot less stress, so I slept better, no more cramming the night before.

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

High end CPU + midrange GPU makes Spartacus a sad, sad, little panda.

I hope you're expecting to upgrade that GPU in two or three years.

Welcome back you extremist fuck. :|ove:

[​IMG]

16. Fooshi

My 560ti still runs most games at max with a decent FPS.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I can still run pretty much everything on Ultra at 2560x1600 with my pair of GTX 480s.
    If Spartacus posts a reply to the below with anything more than 2 sentences, he gets a ban.
    It honestly feels like we've hit the point where the GPUs are just progressing a lot faster than the actual requirements are, at least for now anyway.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  18. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

[​IMG]

Have you tried running BF4 beta? It won't go smoothly, but mostly cause it's optimized like shit. I'm running dual 670's and getting an average of 45 fps on everything maxed on 1080. Really looks the same as BF3 besides some fancier water, so I dont see why it being "demanding". (I get 60+ on BF3 with same settings). I doesn't seem to have proper SLI support since my second card's usage is sits around 10%.

Anyways, there is not much reason to get a super high end GPU setup since games have the same graphics since 2008 and if the game is unoptimized, then no amount of power will make it decent. Besides, PS4 and Xbone will be 10x performance than and high end PC ever. :headshot: TROLL EX DEE EL OH ELLE DONT HAYTE.

19. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Sorry bro, I guess I should take pictures of girl's thighs or the other weird shit you do, because that's "manly".

Go fap to guro hentai you fucking freak.

20. Fooshi

BF4 performed better than BF3 in terms of FPS for me.