[2.3] The Big Picture

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Deiform, May 9, 2009.

1. Deiform

Deiform Member

Ok so what would be really helpful is what we should expect for the next release. What is planned to be done for 2.3, what might get done and any major changes we should be aware of.

Also anything testers can help with.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

3. Drag

Drag Member

No idea, haven't had time to talk about it yet.

4. Deiform

Deiform Member

Oki, but when you do, will you tell us? :P

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

A general view can be found in the dev blogs.

6. Deiform

Deiform Member

Yeah but I'm more looking for specifics.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Is Gui for 2.3 or 2.4 do ya think? Megel & Kyle's evac means slowing down a little bit again? (i'm just asking...not trying to offend anyone. Just recognising with less people, things may take longer.)

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Coffee burito seems to be going full steam ahead with this, and he's had the chance to be slowing put up front in the coding department. I think that with how he works, things will move faster, if anything, than before.

From previous comments, I would gather that the GUI and commander HUD will be revamped next. Infantry combat and tank combat have both been revamped, and now there are a shitload of scripts to run changes off of, which, btw, don't require a recompile of the game code to test changes. This takes a huge load off of the coding area, allowing burrito to get more done that needs to be done, instead of tweaking coding for infantry and buildings forever.

So from an art front: i would love to see new GUI's and commander HUDs. Maybe a more fluid tank HUD setup. Also we have the new tank chassis coming out.

On the coding side: Possibly some commander support. Hot keys for building drops, better pop up tabs, like maybe an infantry tab and tank tab instead of the sorted entity list thing we have goin right now.

The next update should make commander much more streamlined, and much more of what you would expect from an RTS. Right now it feels like I'm searching through files in win 3.2.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Don't forget that I'm also a coder. I can do simple tasks, but my knowledge grows each day :) But currently I'm very busy with school tasks :(