2.3 Initial GUI; wizard style setup?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by zynaps, Dec 16, 2008.

1. zynaps

zynaps Member

Since we know a new GUI is in development, here's a suggestion regarding the selection screens you have to go though after you join a server. As it is now you bring up the various screens (team selection, class selection, squad selection, commander vote, spawn selection) manually. I propose a wizard like system instead:

Team Selection Screen -> [Next button] -> Class Selection Screen -> [Next button] -> Squad Selection Screen -> [Next button] -> Commander Vote Screen -> [Next Button] -> Spawn Selection Screen -> [Close/Done Button]

If the game has already begun the 'Commander Vote Screen' is skipped. Individual screens can be brought up with binds if still needed, but then the 'Next' button will then be relabeled as 'Accept' / 'Done'

Pros:
    + Makes the game more friendly towards new players.

Cons:
    - Requires recoding the GUI, which is happening anyways (moot point?)

Of course it is entirely possible, and even likely, that the developers thought about this already. However my quick and dirty search did not turn up any information about it.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

There was a thread about it, a year ago... :P

But yeah it would make it alot newbie friendlier

3. Riot

Riot Member

there should be one window with tabs for each option page, not 4 seperate windows as there is now. Also squads dont automatically come up at start of game, still!! it's annoying cause now that you get the free skill at start anyway less people are going to (are) joining squads. this is going to cause a similar problem to the scout issue before...newbies are going to go with defualt settings and not bother with squads (more so now becuase it's of less benefit to people to join squads because the skill is already there).

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Even better if it was all just on one window :)

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

tabs are not user friendly and especially in Source

6. zynaps

zynaps Member

I saw that someone in another thread suggested putting everything on one window (even had a mock up). However it would really clutter the interface, especially when brought up automatically on join. New players would most likely find it a bit overwhelming. Also tabs are not as intuitive as a wizard when you see it for the first time.

A tabbed interface could however work if brought up with a bind after the 'initial setup' wizard has been performed. In this case it would help reduce the amount of binds. (I always forget mine and keep pressing the buttons till I hit the right one, granted I changed them a bit between 2.12 and 2.2 :) )

7. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I'd be for the tabs, but only if it doesn't glitch and be gay. Right now I think its kind of annoy to open a team select class select squad select spawn select each time a new games starts.