[2.3] Engine Stalling

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Metal Smith, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Alright, this is referin to the engine stalling when taking damage. Engines do it, but they either restart right away or you just keep going anyhow.

So, I think we should change this. Make stalling due to damage do what it should be doing, that being make it so that if the engine "Stalls", you receive some sort of negative effect.

Like, not being able to shoot your cannon while stalled. Stalling your engine until you slow down to 1st gear and it restarts.

something like that.

Stalling is supposed to be the largest downside of 3 phase engine, but it doesn't do anything, thus making 3 phase possibly the best engine in the game overall.

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Doesn't do anything?
    Maybe I'm missing something, have they changed it? Because in old emp they make you a sitting duck..

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

I spoke to Drag about this coincidentally yesterday. He'll prolly want to speak more on it, I mentioned to him that 3phase is a bit stupid that it outperforms fission in every way with no drawback.

Therefore, we'll prolly see stalling being revised for the next version.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

1/* ( * = number from 10 to 1 depending on engine) second non inter ruptable hand break per hit damage or something

if you keep hitting it it will slow down massively?

i dunno BACK TO WORK WITH ME

5. Drag

Drag Member

I'll have to check back with some coder on what exactly is working and what exactly is taken out. As far as I know stalling from damage has been taken out and stalling from heat, read: When the engine starts to get slower due to heat, should work.

I'll probably try setting the stall on heat for 3phase to 0.7 (is 0.8) this means the engine starts getting slower at 70% heat instead of 80%. Not sure if the effect is profound enough.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

50%.

>........>

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Stalling and overheating are 2 different things. Sometimes, if you get hit while pressing forwards, you'll stop accelerating. you need simply to let go and press forwards again and it'll start back up.

I think that a more drastic change should be made, making the engine for 3 phase start slowing at 30% or 40%. That would effectively eliminate hitting enemy tanks at point blank, because once you start shooting and getting hit by your own missiles, your heat will stack up quickly, making you slower than the enemy.

8. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Make stalling more obvious. Some red text saying "-=STALLED=- tap W to restart -=STALLED=-" so that people don't get confused.

But yeah, I support this idea.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i suggest something like "stall" in aero planes simulators when you run out of speed while flying upwards

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I barely register stalling.

11. Deiform

Deiform Member

but we don't have planes...

12. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

stalling actually can be quite brutal with 3 phase if you do get hit repeatedly, however making stalling too effective can ruin gameplay, not in the balance effect but the fun effect. I mean it would honestly just be like perma stun sticky if your not careful, in bad situations(specially against some NF missile spam) its already like this.

mmm, think of it as when you revive someone and get stuck in their body in the middle of the open, and they are too dumb to unprone. It would be annoying like that but constantly, and with an expensive tank that took a bunch of your teams res.

I just foresee people getting very frustrated with an aspect of the game they have absolutely no control over.

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

well, stalling only happens when you take damage and only at a percentage of the time. I think the highest stall percentage for taking damage (it may also be hull damage at that) is like 30% chance.

Maybe I'm reading the scripts wrong though

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Stalling has been changed in the code. Slight change in stalling time changes the effect dramatically. It has been enabled 2 times and disabled right after. Seriously why the fuck does anyone bring that again?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Because currently the main difference between several engines and the main draw backs to the, arguably, most powerful engine, are non existent.

16. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Well...there needs to be some drawbacks...currently the only drawback any engine has is BIODIES with it's low heat..

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No engine except bio and coolant can use HE cannons properly.

No engine except GT and 3 phase works for light tanks.

Those are pretty major limitation for both sides, seeing as NF needs lights and BE seems to need HE.

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

BE can survive with ranged if they work together. But the HE cannon is a solo cannon in most respects, as it is highly effective against everything you will encounter, due to it's shorter range, blast radius, and damage.

NF light tanks are the back bone of the NF army, and need a fast engine for them to work effectively due to the armor limits on the MK II's and light tanks.

Medium tanks are the back bone of the BE army, as it's the lowest set chassis and can equip HE cannon and a 2 slot anti armor MG or ML. but with that comes the high heat cost for those high damage weapons, and requires the tank to either be able to move while overheated or dissipate that heat quickly.

However, this is a different issue all together. It belongs in with tank weapons or infantry resist balancing threads.

Engines simply need to have some way of making them different besides one cools faster than the other. Bio is the only really unique engine, and it's cooling abilities as well as lack of speed really make it less than mediocre.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

- engines that influence the enemies heat(heat projection engine or something like that)
    like normal engine but +1 heat to enemy per 20 damage you do

- very cheap and lightweight (like, ridiculously cheap and weighing very low) standard engine (cheap materials engines)

- extremely high cooling (total cool in for example 2 seconds) but veeery slow and not that powerful (inject coolant pump engine)

- averagely low speed but the more heat the faster it goes until almost as fast as 3phase, on max heat weapons shut down and stall (Steam pressure engine)

i can come up with more variations and all of these should be semi possible with the current variables (heat determining speed for example)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

you missed the point of the thread I think. Stalling and overheating are 2 separate things.