[2.24] Scout Sabotage

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Avneet, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Avneet

Avneet Member

I just played 3 games right now where the scout caused the other team to lose every single time. It doesn't cost much for a scout to rush into every one of your bases with a jeep sabbing everything in sight. With how fast ALL buildings degrade, there is never enough time to save them. Now that costs you thousands to replace. Than he gets another jeep and does it again.

I understand the idea of scouts destroying buildings faster, but not ALL buildings. A barracks goes down in a couple minutes. Now add every building to that and the few engineers actually willing to try and save things. The whole game all I did was stand around our bases repairing because no one else did. By the end of the game we coudln't afford tanks because we kept replacing vf's and raxes(and twice a radar). This needs to be fixed and balanced better.

2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Yupp. I hate repairing things.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It was primarily a test, if the HP of structures is not raised with 2.24, this will be reverted.

4. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

don't increase the HP of buildings but add damage reduction to them. I don't want to spend 30 mins building up a vf

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The time it costs to build up structures will eventually be raised, whether it's linked 1:1 to the HP depends on how much we increase the HP. I wouldn't want to spend 30 minutes building up a vf either, no need to be worried about that.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Originally, I was pretty "wtf" about the barracks cost, but I was reminded pretty quickly by Neb, of what I originally thought about the concept for barracks.

They're a tough, expensive building that can be constructed over a fairly long time, but once they're up, they will pretty much signify supremacy over that area.

Is that what you were going for? - or will be, eventually?

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hmm. I think the sab degrading rate is good, but I think the time it takes for the scout to actually sab is too quick. That needs tripling for buildings, keep as is for a turret.

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

It doesn't matter how long it takes, lol. No matter what, the scout can just camp the enemy base for eons.

And contrary to popular belief, IT DOES take a genius to get enhanced senses to find the rat.

9. Drag

Drag Member

We talked about the problem a bit, came up with this possibility: What if radars would be able to mark even hidden scouts as targets for turrets.

Main base with expensive radar = scout gets torn to pieces by turret.

Single ref or small forward base (closer to the action, no engineer has to spawn "backwards" to repair) = scout can be useful.

10. Avneet

Avneet Member

But now what about all your forward bases and refs? He can easily drive a jeep to every single ref atleast and sab it. An engy can't move as fast tracking down every single ref he sabbed because it goes down within minutes. Now while the engy is looking for every ref, he makes his way to the forward bases. Again it's same story because it will cost too much to put a radar at every single base and ref.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It will allow the losing team to attack an unguarded and unmonitored outpost, while forcing the enemy team to move up slowly. Sounds ok tbh. I think we also have resistances for scout sabotage, so we could make certain buildings very susceptible to sabotage while others would take less damage

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Also if you want to secure a forward base you could simply build a radar there, boom, base and probably an outlying ref secured.

13. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Well 600 res on an otherwise useless building? I'd think if I'd rather take the risk of a scout sneaking in.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

In that case scouts need nothing changing and are fine the way they are.

Anyway I build radars currently just for the tank spotting ability.

15. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Either way, one person should not be able to single-handedly destroy structures without warning, even if it takes time.

16. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Only if it showed the scout with a orange diamond rather than on the minimap. Enhanced senses is difficult to use since enemy scouts show only on the minimap, which requires you to zoom in and run around until you figure out the exact spot the scout is hiding.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I'd say this whole degrading stuff is encoraging the lonewolf style of scouting, where the scout does damage to stuff on his own, and doesn't help at all a scout that is working with a team.

because a scout that is working with a team has the structure killed quickly after it's sabbed by the team, so no time for the degrading to take effect.

I'd decrease the degrade loads, and increase the initial damage.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would rather the damn DOT go away or be reduced to a quarter of what it is now.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'd still like for something to make bases entirely lonewolf proof.

It's annoying that no matter what I do, there's still a way for someone to get, without warning, into the base and damage it, no matter how many turrets or buildings I place.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

The only way for that to happen is a team force shield... and we know thats not gana happen except on the vehicle training map.

I agree with what your saying in theory tho Chris but, its just unfeasible short of shields or some other way which will make the game overbalanced to turting. Its not like the com can drop nearly indestructible walls and then make a door that opens for your team(hint to devs) short of things that are already on the maps from mappers.

I suppose the mappers could make micro bases all over the map for ppl to capture. Altho that makes the game rather static in that you HAVE to build bases there or your griefing your team.