[2.23] [Feedback] General Research

Discussion in 'Archive' started by dizzyone, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It does have the advantage of if you pick the opposite tree, then your team won't be losing, because you'll still be able to research wepons to beat their tree, because they'll be in your tree.

A surprisingly good idea actually, it solves the major problem with research which is that if you research the wrong tree, the enemy has an advantage, whereas this would give both teams more destructiveness with polar trees but neither an advantage.

2. Porthos

Porthos Member

I didn't invent the Pentagram/Pentagon combat system, but I think it could be well applied in this environment.

3. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

well we desperately need something coherent and intuitive, this may well be the right approach.

it could also be aided in allowing the scout to grab enemy armor/tech intel by presseing 'e' if next to an unmanned vehicle OR enemy radar. They would have to pick between like "weapon, armor, engine" and it would report the last researched item of that category"

servers with hijack plugin may have to change some shit, but who really cares about 3rd party plugins that are kinda lame anyways.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

All research should have some place where it is useful, and that's being forgotten here. I never see plasma and stuff, and improved detonators doesn't actually do anything, so this needs fixing.

A good thing would be to be able to see the entire tree from the start like VESS's tree, it'd make things a lot more newbie friendly.

5. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Improved Det, should be removed till it does something,

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I thought it was removed during 1.08 -.-

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

improved det compounds? doesn't that give you upgraded grenades or smthn..... its funny how I don't actually know what research is called anymore because i don't even look at what it says its just click click click through the menu

8. dizzyone

I've removed it for 2.23 (revision 885)

9. Porthos

Porthos Member

It'd be nice to get some dev input on the research model I suggested.

10. Trickster

Yay, I made Improved det go, yay :D
    I think that people should submit ideas for a new research tree, the pros and cons of it, what it fixes and how, and see what people think, maybe someone will come up with an idea we all agree on.

11. Lithium

Lithium Member

This is a brilliant idea that should be implemented, like porthos said,more people would be willing to give comanding a shot if the system was obvious and give matches a higher degree of dynamic gameplay.

12. Porthos

Porthos Member

Ideas for a new research tree.

Infantry - Weapon damage upgrades, armor increases, other infantry bonuses
    Building/Infrastructure - Refinery upgrade increases output, better building armor/health, put turret upgrades here, upgrade for dropping buildings at 33-50% health instead of base.
    Vehicle Upgrades - strip all vehicle upgrades out of mechanical and put them in here then rebalance remaining 5 trees

My research idea would still work as long as there are only 5 weapons research trees. If there were others added that didn't affect vehicle weapons then we'd be set.

I'm really hoping the DEV team overhauls something in the game.

13. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Ability to research enemy mechanics? Would allow team to hijack enemy tanks

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Main change I would make is simplifying the tree as much as possible, put as many researches into one as possible, get more things researched faster.

15. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I understand that Regenerative and bio diseal should be a bit longer to research, but I think you went a bit too far.
    BioEngine at 90 and Regenerative at 120 is just enough to stop making the research so attractive.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Imo the only reason for better infantry weapons against infantry would
    be if theres an armor research too cause rifles kill fast enough :)

17. Trickster

I agree with Cyber-kun, this is way overboard, 180 and 120 is ridiculous, adding on bio research time, over 6 minutes just for engine and armour is going too far.

120 and 90 would be far better.

18. dizzyone

I LIVE ON THE EDGE

I don't know, I got sick of people saying there's no point in researching anything else.

19. Trickster

Yeh but rather than just nerfing it to shit, buff some other stuff.

Make the base HP of absorbant and reflective a little bit higher, I think they're 50 currently, make it 55 or 60.

Make reactive weigh 18 instead of 20 OR keep it at 20 and make the HP 75 rather than 70.

Make gas turbine research faster to compensate for the long time for composite.

What armour is often balanced by is the time it takes to get an engine with it.

Say you didn't want to change any of the above things I listed, just make it a little easier to get the other engines.

Gas turbine takes too long.
    Advanced Coolant is an end-game engine, but it still takes too long to make abs useful sometimes, its like 4 minutes in total. Just shave a minute off it.
    Fission...I think you already made this quicker.
    3phase again takes a little long, make it only take 30 seconds once you're in advanced magnetics.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

3 phase is actually balanced, at least for NF, if anything it's slightly too fast, superlights are a brilliant strategy for NF and they can get them fast enough.