2.2 - What happened

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Dec 29, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

To the devs

I am stating my opinion and I am not in any way trying to tell you how to do your job.

I know that certain things had to change when Empires moved to the ep2 engine.

Game Play

2.2 has slowed down game play to the point where matches take at least three times longer than in 2.12 and at the end, it just isn't fun like it used to be.

What happened to slow the game play down? Infantry combat is so slow because of the new "weapons AKA compressed air guns", and vehicles handle so poorly that it's hard to drive from one map location to another.

If you ask any Empires player, do you want us to make the game play slower, none of them will say yes.

Weapons

When 2.2 was in testing, the testers complained that the weapons "sucked".

Now, why did the testers not like them The weapons in 2.2 seem to operate like semi-automatic compressed air guns.

No other FPS game in the world has weapons that operate like this. Why? It makes no sense. No sub-machine gun has a ROF as low as the weapons in Empires.

When you point an assault rifle at someone and pull the trigger, it shouldn't take more that 1 second for them to die. With a sub-machine, maybe 1.2 seconds.

In Empires, it takes about 5 seconds to kill anything, during which time the person you are shooting at jumps backwards as if they are being hit with compressed air that doesn't damage them.

It makes no sense.

Vehicles

Vehicles in Empires used to be a lot of fun to drive. The NF LT used to be fast and maneuverable. Now it handles like van with a underpowered engine.

IMHO the new vehicles make much more sense, but they also slow down the game play, which I am against.

End Result

I used to play at least an hour or so of Empires a day before 2.2. Now, I play other games. Why? Empires just isn't fun anymore.

Many other players have left or aren't playing as much as they used to, probably for the same reason.

I think it's great that the devs wanted to get 2.2 released, but I don't think it was ready.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i said yes, because apc rushes are fun the first time, the second, and the third but after that you kinda start forgetting how it was to drive a tank with a proper fit...

no further comment

3. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

lol, were fixing many of the weapons

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

1. Weapons aren't final. You'll also be glad to hear that the rate of fire for SMGs has been upped in 2.2.1.
    2. The vehicle change wasn't our idea. Blame the Orange Box imposing required vehicle variables down our throat. We're working on it.

5. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

IMO if you didnt bother attending tests and posting in the test feedback thread you don't have a right to complain about the weapons.

If you bothered to load up the test client you are signed up for, you would see the weapon scripts are already changing. It would be more useful posting in the tester forum with feedback on the scripts that are running rather than copy pasting another "what makes me whine about 2.2" thread.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Thanks recon for pointing out stuff i was bitching about since 2.2 release

Too bad you will be eaten by mayama now , with his awesome finding fake gold in pure shit skills -.-(:D)

7. Sketch

Sketch Member

Go play some counterstrike then, Recon GTFO.

Empires is a game of wits, not 1 shot super realistic kills. If you want that go play Insurgency; I however, prefer my Empires to be different from all the generic shooters out there.

Don't listen to whiners that only care about realistic weaponry, this game is about so much more, don't loose sight of that from the minority of players that don't pertain to strategic gameplay.

8. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

My biggest problem with 2.2 is that the focus was on weapon changes when there were still major gameplay issues in Empires.

9. Demented

Demented Member

It's ready if it don't crash when you look at it.

Otherwise they shouldn't release another version of Empires until we have aircraft and blimbs.

10. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Holy shit, a forum n00b with a good brain!

100% agree with lines 2 and 3 of Sketches post.

11. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

everybody needs to get a blimp cus blimps are pretty pimp, you can fill them up with air but that wont egt you anywhwere

nah theres gonna put out a few updates, before aircraft, remember its a coding issue, and the scout shotgun needs to be added along with the new HUd and comm stuff first, along with infantry ressearch building animations and a nade launcher :D

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Empires is the only game i can play if I come home at 3 o clock at night drunk as hell and still be awesome.

13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I know that you guys didn't have control over certain vehicle stuff.

Good to hear that the weapons are getting fixed :)

I agree with you, Empires is nothing like INS, and personally, I don't like INS.

It used to be much more fun to play as an infantry unit in Empires. Maybe if a person hasn't played 2.12, 2.2 might seem fun since they wouldn't know how much more fun 2.12 was.

Empires is all about strategic game play, and if you ask anyone who knows me, they'll tell you how much I put into teamwork and strategy every time I play.

Being on GMT - 8, almost every single playtest is at 12pm when I am busy with RL.

If there was a playtest at 6pm my time, I would be at it.

It's not a copy and paste. It's how I feel about it. Unlike some threads, I did NOT just say "2.2 sucks k thx bye". I addressed each item I thought could be better in detail.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  14. Seven

Seven Member

I guess I'm weird but I like the 2.2 guns a lot better, especially smg1. That thing is practically a sniper rifle now.

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Do you like that you have to put like 10 rounds into the enemy infantry units before they die? I just don't see how that's fun...

16. Seven

Seven Member

I don't really know what you're talking about. SMG1 is practically a peashooter and doesn't take 10 rounds. Maybe you should try aiming.

17. Sketch

Sketch Member

Perhaps if you can't aim.

And yes, I've been playing Empires for years, STFU, you might not have noticed as I have a life alongside my gaming.
    That and well, you might have be too busy posting nonsencicalities on this forum.

18. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

yay, another troll on my ignore list.

19. Sketch

Sketch Member

By posting this you infact are trolling, I at least had some input on this topic.

20. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

you don't even know what trolling is?

2.2.1 is fucked