[2.2] To Do list / Changelog

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kylegar, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Heres a todo list and a changelog.

If we find a bug during testing, post it here so I can add it to the list.

Major:

• Fix BE VF's collision model
    • Tone down the HDR on Duststorm
    • Fix BE RPG's HDR bug
    • Particles:
      • Vehicle tread kickup dust
      • Map dust/smoke
      • blood
      • water splashes/ripples
      • Grenade explosions
    • Bring OP weapons inline, Buff weapons that are too weak
    • Tone down Motion Blur
    • Fix loading screen
    • [BUG] Fix exploit: Farming squad points (Make it so no points are given if they kill themselves, or, unable to be revived)
    • Balance nukes.
    • Trees are using some weird model trees (Make them use the good trees)
    • Canyon minimap needs correcting
    • Maps to be compiled:
      • none yet
      (Get me a list)
    Minor
    • Reproduce the Invisible person bug. I have no clue where to start looking
    • try to create and reproduce any type of crash
    • Package the installer
    • [BUG] Vehicles can drive through boxes at building
    • Fix so that the commander can build Light tanks as they atm have another weight requirement than when built from the VF.
    • Fix the maximum weight shown for NF Heavy tanks (Try full comp armor + weapons).
    • Fix NF Light Tank hitbox to include the wheels?

Changelog

Major Changes:

Moved to the Source2007 engine, featuring many changes and a new particle system.
    APC Spawnpoints must now be researched. This is located in Mechanical Engineering.
    Commanders are locked for 60 seconds after the game starts. Once those 60 seconds are up, the commander may move as normal

Added: Vehicle Handbrake
    Added: Different Modifiers to spread and kick while in Ironsight mode
    Added: Scriptable Weapon damge falloff

Modified: APC spawn points are now Researchable
    Modified: The number of players on a team is now visible on the Team Selection Menu
    Modified: RShift, RCtrl, and RAlt are now treated seperate from their left counterparts, and can be used in binds.
    Modified: Commander Vehicles are now frozen for 60 seconds after commander vote.

Fixed: Commander and Infantry commands could not be bound to spacebar
    Fixed: If a player dies by the bio effect, he no longer spawns instantly
    Fixed: Crash relating to switching teams with the vehicle menu open and then building a vehicle
    Fixed: Crosshair turning green when looking at engineer buildings
    Fixed: Double animation for grenade throws
    Fixed: Engineer Radar no longer spins while dead.
    Fixed: Scout training has improved, and they no longer think that they can sabatoge Walls, Engy Radars, and Cameras. Silly Scouts....
    Fixed: Scoreboard no longer shows spectators and unconnected people as dead
    Fixed: Server no longer uses the Standing collision boxes for prone players
    Fixed: You can now use Voice Chat with the Vehicle Customization Menu open.

Removed: 1st mine exploding after 9th mine is dropped

---------

If you post bugs in this thread, I will go through and color them

Green means they are fixed
    Red means they arent fixed
    Orange means "What? More info please"
    Blue is a feature, not a bug

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Bugs / Features in Trac:
    [BUG] Not able to start using voice chat while in vehicle customization menu

[BUG] Vehicles can drive through boxes at buildings
    [BUG] Fix exploit: Farming squad points ~More info please. Love, Kylegar
    [FEAT] Remote Recycling Addition

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Balance nukes.
    Fix so that the commander can build Light tanks as they atm have another weight requirement than when built from the VF.
    Fix the maximum weight shown for NF Heavy tanks (Try full comp armor + weapons).
    Fix NF Light Tank hitbox to include the wheels?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

BE AR is bugged as well, either need to remove burst fire or fix it.

5. Drag

Drag Member

- most tanks fail at driving backwards up a slope. The med tank's can't even stop on a slope properly (test in mvalley) There is a relatively minor fix for it. When its done and tested I'll add it to the scripts and commit the most recent ones properly for next testing.

About the invisible person bug, just a minor addition: It happened for me when I used third person view in a BE APC. There was a smg 1 floating a bit above the turret.

6. Deiform

Deiform Member

Turning circle on vehicles shocking (are these just left out of our version?)
    Trees are using some weird model trees
    Canyon minimap needs correcting

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

When I played this game yesterday, the voice chat didn't work in commander view.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

IMO infantry weapons and tank weapons need to balanced and viable or the release will fail.

OR get them decent and promise to release script updates for balance after the first month or something.

Empires already has a lot of good features but at the end of the day gameplay isn't that good. I think a complete overhaul is needed in that department but that is kinda outside the scope of 2.2. However, if you want to maintain a decent player base I think at the very least weapons need to be decently balanced.

Personally I think barracks could use an overhaul for 2.2. Yesterday on dust storm I walked around the back of BEs base and had the commander drop me a barracks literally closer to the BE VF than the BE rax was and bam full calc later it was up. I mean you can say "omfg other team is noob they fail" but I don't really think that is legitimate. You can't expect everyone to be awesome at the game and newer people are just going to look at that and be "oh what the fuck that is retarded". People should win games because they work well as a team fighting the enemy. Not because 1 person snuck around the back of the enemies base and build a barracks in 20 seconds.

For 2.2 I think double the barracks HP and reduce its damage modifier by 1/2. and increase cost to 400. The barracks will have the same life but be 2x harder to repair and build. Or maybe reduce damage modifier by 1/3. Its hard to say. The problem is empires maps are so big you don't want people having to walk all the time to fight the enemy but at the same time you don't want barracks springing up in 20 seconds(guess) for 200 resources. A team with 4 res nodes can afford over 1 barracks per minute. That is without resource scaling.

I think part of the problem is games are so big now as well and with resource scaling in a 20v20 game the cost of a barracks almost amounts to nothing. They are so cheap a lot of the time when my team is attacking the enemy base I'll just spam down 3-4 and tell them to build the one in the back.

9. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

If you hold down Tab while the Select Team menu is still open (e.g. right after you've joined), the Scoreboard stays after you release Tab. It only goes away when you press Tab again, and then the Select Team window is gone as well.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

Like half the maps still need recompiled.

11. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I would put user interface very high on that list. Improving it would have the greatest effect on Empires out of all changes so far.

~not in the scope of 2.2, thats for 2.3

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  12. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

I assume that means the background during the main menu, where it shows the Lost Coast image, is that correct? If no, then I'd like to report thatr I still have the LC background (1680 by 1050).

I ment the map loading screen, but, I'll look into this, I don't get this issue myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  13. communism

communism poof

Driving vehicles is not fun. They are unresponsive and handle like bricks, I think they need to have a lot of work done on them before release

14. Reef

Reef Member

Chat window is not hidden after mapchange.

15. Drag

Drag Member

Actually I wish the BE med wouldn't be so prone to flipouts :/

The svn vehicles are still vanilla, haven't commited changes.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Chat flickers open when you spawn.

The title of the map you are playing can sometimes be visible behind your minimap in white writing. You just see emp_duststorm for your example, poking out of the corner of your minimap.

If you fire both shots on your shotty pistol (haven't tried other pistols) and try to melee, unless your right clicking as the last shot is fired, it won't melee. And its pretty bugged even if you do, you sorta have to repeat melee 3 times or something. I propose making reloading manual on all melee-able weapons.

HDR. lets just not even go there.

Motion-fail has already been mentioned I believe but theres my thread up about it.

Finally, revive code, MOOtant told me he'd look at it, not sure if he has. If I go gren and the other person is a rev engy, I can pretty much blow myself through any seam in a displacement, which is less than ideal for a map like canyon.

17. zimm

zimm Member

I agree with Jephir, at the moment you have to push to much buttons to go through all the screens ...

18. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

I think some of you are forgetting what 2.2 is all about (or what I though it was all about): The move to OB engine. Any major gameplay/interface changes should come later as patches.

At least that's what I think.. and vehicles shouldn't handle like bricks :(

19. Lithium

Lithium Member

I also agree with this statement.

I would suggest delaying your [Kylegar] target of Halloween to Christmas in order to implement this and other stuff mentioned in this thread. Halloween is too optimistic in my opinion.

20. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

The scope of 2.2 is to move to the OB engine.

The engine move did ALOT in changing the way things work underneeth, and, there were a fuck ton of bugs that the testers didn't even see, because we needed to get them done before even starting testing. Now we have a stable, good feeling game right now, we can clean this up, and release. If we start adding new features, we will introduce new bugs, new problems, and other problems, and a christmas release with new features just wont happen, and, simply, There should not be a year in between releases.

I also want to begin phasing in the Scaling and, I dare say, Aircraft in 2.3 and beyond, and we need to spend some time cleaning up 2.2 with a public release, becuase, we all know, there will be bugs on release.

Is Halloween to early? I say No, I think 2.2 is WAAAAY overdue, and, we have a solid game. There are no gamebreaking bugs, there are very few crashes, and 3 weeks is enough time to get it done. Also, giving a deadline will give us motivation and a want to finish what we are working on.

All in all, We need to set a date, otherwise 2.2 will take forever to release. To be honest, Empires will never be done, we can only set some goals and push it out.