[2.2] The Linux empires servers (and stuff)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by eth0, Aug 30, 2008.

1. eth0

eth0 Member

[2.2] The Linux empires servers

Hi All,
    A few people have enquired about the trio of Linux server i've put up and what the deal with them is. Here's a quick Q and A:

Q. Are they "official" servers?
    A. Official in the sense that mootant ask me if i could provide a Linux server for test build for various test builds of the server_i468.so files.

Q. Will you be keeping your server up after the beta testing?
    A. Maybe. TBH this really depends on what sort of game 2.2 ends up being. If i don't feel i'm getting my once full empires fun load any more and given the fact that Admin'ing a server it's the antithesis of "fun" 'cos of all the griefers and "admin chagne map 2 emp_spunkbomb" then i'd have to say "fuck you/it/this".

If the things on my wishlist where fulfilled then this would be a cert', which are:
    Blimps (either as skybox scenery or really usable, not picky)
    Amphibious vehicles (You'd only need "rust-up" the exisiting HL2 airboat and make a overly-complex-but-same BE model, swip the existing HL2 airboat code and your done!)
    Scout rifle upgrade: where just placing the crosshair in the vague direction of a enemy earns you a kill (Yes, that would be a zer0-shot kill fuckers)
    Penis cannon (preferable not one designed by beerdude that would be an actual penis he'd grabbed from google images and pixelated [ask him for the backstory;)])
    emp_volcano Basically it's emp_sinking/atoll but a freckin' volcano. Every so often the volcano would awaken with a lovely shower of OrangeBox(tm) particle effects accompanied with tidal waves, earth quakes and titties. I'm told all of which is possible and the mapper guys i where chatting to with the night seemed pumped about this idea, so go badger them to do it!

Q. Why do you have three servers/what does the stuff in the server name mean?
    A. There are 3 server due to the mootant creating 3 builds of the same code but with different compile options. For debug reporting purposes the server name basically contains that information needed for the devs to determine what happened with what software.

Linux: Denotes the server's OS.
    Rev.444: The SVN revision that's running.
    opt_valve-stripped: The moniker of the server_i486.so that's running, in this case a valve optimisation version of the .so with debugging symbols stripped.
    Q. You appear to be running all 3 server from one IP/server?
    A. Yes. And this makes sense as only one server will actually be utilised at a time and each game server instance takes relatively little RAM.

Q. Doesn't 3 servers take up a huge amount of disk space given that EmpiresTest currently stands at 5GB?
    A. Nope ;) This is Linux and there are some lovely little filesystem tricks you can pull off to make potentially +15GB reduced to practically nothing if you mean to clone a directory with it's subdirs and file, but then only change a few files. A clone will thus only consume around 1.4 Megabytes

I've basically have one dir called:
    And then three more directories called:
    We then run the command (which can be grabbed from yum et.al.) "lndir".

Those not familiar with symbolic links go get wiki'ed up, when you have you'll realise that lndir is:

You make your various clones with the command line e.g:
    Now here's the trick, if you change any file in the following dir:
    The contents will also change for:
    But naturally there are a few file you *do* want to change, such as the server.cfg to change the server's name. All you do is delete the symlink for that file:
    And then do a regular file copy of:
    And finally modify that newly copied file and fire up the server.

PS: The only thing to watch out for is when doing an "svn up" if any files are created you'll need to re-run the lndir command too to update your clones with new symlinks.

/end of giantipost

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Nice descriptive post.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

That's headshot you nub :p

Good to see you're back up and running servers for Empires (testing now even! :o)

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Is it so hard to tag your threads?

5. eth0

eth0 Member

By tag, you mean add the "[2.2]" prefix? And what with prefixing the thread anywho.. surely it's better to either make a subforum called "2.2" or just assume all content in the "Empires Forums > Closed Forum Test > Release Candidates " is 2.2 content?

That aside, if you require people to post here in a certain way then really there should be a forum README sticking outline such stuff. Help us to help you ;)

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The readme is one of the first tagged threads, they're tagged so that they can be archived easily later on. We don't need a forum for every release aslong as everyone tags their threads. Recycling a forum is good for the environment.

7. Deiform

Deiform Member

I'm confused. Making a blimp will be a dead cert of closing the servers, or a dead cert of staying?

8. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I'm the one who made that :(

[​IMG]

and a link to the thread.

<3

edit:

And yes, that is an actual pixelated image from google images. Fuck you guys, and your insecure sexuality.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008