[2.2] So what hell the point of squads now?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by eth0, Aug 25, 2008.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I like the drop down idea.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I just remembered about 1.071...didn't you have to call members individually to your squad? You actively had to look at them and f-menu them, didn't you? Well...it was a quite cumbersome and our system is better now, but i'm just wondering if more teamworking got done, simply because you actively had to join up with people.

Or something...just reminded me of that.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It was like that from 1.0 until 1.07.

4. thaile

thaile Member

I think that system is still kinda in, just not many use it anymore.

5. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I fucking love you. <3

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think few people, including testers, know what being in a squad is like. how many of you change squads in the middle of the game to be in one squad with the people around you? It seems like most people only join a squad for the skill and this means that squads are filled with people not actually planning on working as a squad.

The squad aura isn't much to fuss about, but the squad points and powers ARE useful. squad artilliary, revive, cloak, sprint, all very useful for breaking an enemy base. working together with just one person on a 40 minute game, we'd aquired 25 squad points.

---------------------

to get people really wanting to be with a squad, let the squad leader revive squad members with E (takes 10 seconds), and allow no joining squads when you're dead. I still think that's by far the best way to get players to want to be with their squad.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Hotel FTW.

8. Chahk

Chahk Member

I agree completely. You have to remember though that until quite recently the Coding team was exactly one person in size. With all the other priorities, Krenzo just didn't have the resources to code a better IU. Nowadays with more coders I'm sure someone can be assigned to this task, seeing how it affects so little of the core game, and yet is so important.

Just type those commands into the console and the new binds will persist.

This should be a new thread in the Suggestions forum.

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I guess that we should code every single thing that you guys want because we have 3 people coding for Empires?

10. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

90% of suggestions and ideas are shit. the problem is sifting through the shit to find the brick of gold.

11. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I never found any gold.

12. petemyster

petemyster Member

not to blow my own horn, but my suggestion i posted ages ago is pretty good (would save alot of fustration), just go to the "organise stuff" and it should be the last suggestion ^^

13. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Nice idea but would be greifed/explotied to the point of extinction. The commander would just say "Move Here" and the squad gets a point. See where im going...:p

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Unless you hardcode the points for each objective, and only give points for non-exploitable actions (destroy a building, kill enemies, etc).

15. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

I know that but then u have the problem of people whineing "COMM WHY DIDNT U MARK THAT ENEMY! I COULD OF GOT MORE POINTS!!". Its a good idea of haveing custom settible objectives but I can see a lot of tension being caused in the team.

Yes u may say "mark the targets" but the comm has more to do than just marking targets. And thats just an example. The point im makeing is that there is enough tension between the comm and the team already. Some people are wonderful comms but collapse under pressure from there own team and panic.

I think if we are going to do this then it is going to take A LOT of time and thinking of how we can make this work without tension being made on the team OR explotation. ^^

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

That's why you could have the squad leader mark enemies and give points for it, but give more points if the comm marks them.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the reward for following the squad leader is victory. this points system will only benefit a commander which gives loads of orders, whether or not his orders were as useful as the commander that gave only a couple useful ones.

18. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I have to add that seeing where your teammebers' corpses lay without having to look at the minimap has been useful for me so far. I also almost always give orders to my squad whenever I am the squadleader. Another thing is the squad-powers that your squadmembers benefit from, like armor or squad-revive. You don't know how fucking much a squad-rev can add to the victory of one team.

19. eth0

eth0 Member

Speaking from a seasoned SysAdmin (15 or so years) the quantity of programmers doesn't necessarily improve the overall product.

I've seen, for example, many websites that either had (too much|not enough) (pretty graphics|programming).

The key thing missing was somebody (or bodies) to actually *design* the thing with experienced insight in to the disciplines involved and communicate that to the team that actually going to produce the graphic, sounds, code etc.

The point being is that sometimes a <insert discipline here> may try to only solve there apparent woes with the skills they posses without considering a different solution outside there skill set. This tends to lead the peon gamer with the impression that <insert discipline here> is a cock-wit when the simple reality is: Discussion is where the great ideas come from not necessarily the individual.