[2.2] Sigscanning and you

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Theowningone, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

For those of you who havent heard, SourceMod is largely incompatible with 2.2. This is due to how it gets and sets game information. It finds and sets data through virtual offsets, blah blah blah the rest is irrelevant. Many of the broken parts of sourcemod are trivial such as ForcePlayerSuicide and SlapPlayer, yet not all are. The most important ones are things such as Getting entity classnames and Dispatching entity spawns, etc. Plugins such as the Vehicle Hijack plugin Nachos uses use these functions as well as the BuildTrace Plugin to name a few empires related ones. Parachute plugin would also cease to function.

Now here is where you come in. To sigscan for these offsets, the easisest way is to download a linux tf2 server, install 2.2 on it, and scan the server binary. I was going to do this but my primary hard drive failed and i had to format my linux drive and put windows on it. If anyone wants to try and sigscan post in this thread and i can give details and help walk you through it in IRC.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This needs doing before the release of 2.2. I recommend speaking to eth0, I think he used a linux server for empires at one point.

3. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The release should wait on this. Or I swear server owners / managers will be after the development team with pitchforks and torches (me included).

There are two guides, here and here.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  4. Theowningone

Me and recon are currently working together to try and get this done in windows.

5. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

ive got ubuntu on this pc but theres not much space left on the drive ive got it on (like 400mb :s), would it be helpful if i did it in that (even though i dont have a clue so youd have to give me a detailed walkthrough), and find me when i have time

---about the space issue--could i install it on my windows drive from ubuntu and run it from there? (probably not), or could i download the required files from napalms server? (also probably not)

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

When 2.2 is released (e.g. it's final), if there is a Linux version of the server, we should just wait for that and use the automated tools to get the offsets.

Why not use sigmasks? It takes a LOT of time to make them and since getting offsets is automated, why bother (if we have a Linux server ofc)? I know offsets can change, but it doesn't really matter since we can always make new ones whenever a new version is released.

7. Theowningone

i think i may have the process of making searchable signatures down. Will be testing shortly and posting details later.

8. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Cool. If you want me to compile those C / C++ files, post em here.

9. Theowningone

let me see if it worked first. I don't want to jump the gun.

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Don't u need the sig scanner and the mask maker to do anything?

11. Theowningone

i have it.

12. Theowningone

Today i found a bunch of offsets for SM like commitsuicide, ignite, teleport, accept input, etc... I'll release them once i get all/near all of them.

13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Remember the offsets can change from now till the release.

14. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

If you're going to flame players of the community because they have complaints about something related to you, don't expect to get their support in here.
    I'm locking this thread, it has nothing to do with playtesting, nor does it seem to be in the interest of the players.
    Don't bring this here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.