[2.2] Playtest 29.11.08

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Brutos, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

2. kill3rtomato

kill3rtomato Member

For the CTRL+TAB, I only have to press CTRL to crash. (Already added a note on Mantis)

Also, the res counter was there on the first map, but later we noticed that it wasn't there anymore.. ?

3. Brutos

Kylegar said its a known bug, he tried to fix it but their doesn't seem to be a fix without a way to reproduce it.

Developing sadly doesn't work with, here something disappeared and now do some magic and fix it. They need a way to reproduce it or they will just waist their time looking at code and not seeing any problems.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

My memory does fail me occasionally, but did I ever mention how Bio MG doing double damage vs a CV is bad?

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It's like that in 2.12 aswell.

6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

CV armor. Go test if it does 2x damage to hull but I don't think it does.

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Hull inherits the armor attributes, NF CV hull takes 2x bio damage because the armor does.

CV armor is on the list of things that will be changed, not for 2.2 though.

8. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Only thing that sounds logical to me is that it does not delete the variable used for the rescounter or somehow puts another one on top. I dunno about this, but it could be that the problem lays somewhere close to there.

9. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I have an idea what the problem is, but, 2.2 is locked, we are finishing up a few last things, and then get it out. This will probably be fixed in a patch

I'll look into this, since now we have some concrete reproducible steps.

I said that because everyone was coming up to me and saying "2.2 is crashing!" then would send me dumps that had stuff like "Illegal Reference to 0xFFFFFFF" which helps nothing. Now I have some reproduceable steps, I'll just load up 2.2 in the debugger, try it, and watch the thing crash. That will give me a stacktrace, which will show me exactly where the game is crashing. If it's just a simple fact that it's doing something without checking to see if it's NULL, then, well, simple solution, add an if statement.

The thing is, there is absolutly no way for us to attempt to fix things if we just get reports like "The comm is crashing" or "Some people were crashing when we played yesterday". The crashdumps help, but, alot of the time, they show nothing useful for whatever reason. I was hoping that if the public was crashing the same way, we could find a pattern emerge, and nail it there, but, since you guys figured it out, I'll take a look.

EDIT: Also, I believe my note for the res counter bug is "What the fuck?!?". It seems to drop out at random times, with no apparent reason. It's not when map is reloaded, it just pops out of existence in the middle of a game, or when you have a random panel open, or even when you are just sitting around with your thumb up your ass. There is nothing that says that it should be dissapereing (It's a VGUI label with the text being the difference between the res and the last checked res.) I did some debug things, and they have no effect, so...I'm lost. It's a minor bug, so, I'm not all too worried, know how much res you are getting is nice, but, not necessary. I'll keep trying to fix it, but it's not high on the priority list.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  10. Brutos

You need some players to reproduce the bugs, it doesn't work if their are only 1 or 2 players on the server.

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

also in the description for the ranged canon theres a typo ;) : it says somethign along the lines of longmer ranges instead of longer ranges. can someone with svn access change that please since it should only take about 10 seconds?

12. Drag

Drag Member

Yeh, done.

Nice finding brutos btw.

13. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i seem to recall the res counter disappearing when i changed classes or got into a vehicle.

you could also check over the squad skills portion, its very possible 'something else' in the hud is affecting it.

14. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I've had that happen to me several times in 2.12. It's a hard bug to reproduce, since it happens intermittently. It usually happens while a lot of stuff is going on in the game, e.g. people are talking, vehicles are going, etc.

15. Trickster

Told you I was right dumbasses.

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

OooooOOooo an extra 4 damage a second! Its like taking an extra mortar worth of damage every 25 seconds. You were just making excuses for getting rushed and happened to be right.

17. Trickster

Face it. You, the "oh so great" simon were wrong, live with it. And its easier to dodge a mortar than damage thats unavoidable.

18. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

So true. But I also think that this is a thing that shouldn't be fixed in 2.2 since it might take some time. But once 2.2 is out, get a hotfix out asap.

19. Brutos

I'd say make it rock solid before releasing it, no hotfixes, they look stupid.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Hotfixes will be necessary wether you want them or not, because of all the bugs that will pop up when a lot more people spend a lot more time in it.

But i'm all for fixing problems that are already known before the release, before the release.