[2.2]emp_canyon displacement errors

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Empty, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Empty

Empty Member

I played emp_canyon with the client, and everything seemed well, but upon hitting the craters, I sunk.

My tanks, literally, sunk underground and got stuck, now I noclipped and found out why they were stuck underneath [there's a displacement on a displacement at each crater, because they're more detailed], but no idea why they sunk through the upper displacement in the first place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neither could escape.

EDIT:
    My bad, I didn't see anything related to it anywhere, and then just as I read tomorrows playtest thread...
    /facepalm.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. Omneh

Omneh Member

Thats terrifying.

3. pixelized

pixelized Member

Yeah it's already been reported in the tracker. Ark or whoever maintains canyon needs to clip the craters or something, I can't remember exactly what the issue was.

4. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It could be the displacements having their clipping disabled, it should be a really simple thing to fix, unless it's something else.

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

That's not it, I'm not sure what it is.

6. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

maybe we should just remove the displacements

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

It must be the secret quicksand traps I researched as the BE comm!!!!

8. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

SO how these craters are made, there is a large displacement with a big rough dip in it and the smaller, high powered displacement sits inside it and makes the crater - but the edge of the big displacement is the same place as the edge of the small one. So when a vehicle meets that edge i think it gets confused about which surface it is on, so perhaps lowering the edge of the displacement so it is actually intersecting the larger displacement will fix it.

I tired doing a test compile to try this theory out but something is fucked with my setup after messing about with models, so I cant compile atm, but maybe someone could give this a try.

9. Empty

Empty Member

It fucking ruined my nice shiny medium.

10. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

still happens, infantry wont sink it but vehicles will (needs a vehicle clip brush maybe?)

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

This seems to be a code issue, I did a bsp compile with -novirtualmesh and the vehicles would drive over the craters properly, but if the vehicle was going downward at a certain angle then it would drive right in.

12. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Not all of the crater displacements are effected, some of them work fine, perhaps you could just copy pasta the working ones and delete the broken ones?