[2.2] 4th Class

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Silk, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I agree: the engineer does too much.

I disagree: the engineer is currently the support unit for squads, right? well, that's fine. keep engineer as support. just remove the offensive ability of the engineer so that he is ONLY support instead of support and assault. so remove the engineer's grenades. that way he can keep supporting the team, and a team needing support only needs an engineer to turn up.

if you move healing/ammo to the scout then for a good squad you need an engineer AND a scout, instead of just always needing an engineer. I don't think we should have two support units, one for infantry and one for vehicles/buildings, with this idea.

moving healing and ammo to the scout isn't a bad idea at all, I just think that it's not the best solution.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Making turrets easy destroyable til they are fully build would reduce the
    engineers offensive abilitys too. Like 20 health til the turret is builded.

3. Caelo

Caelo Member

That will probably send most of the tactics to the bin :)

4. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I really dont like the idea of taking healing from egineers and giving it to scout.

It is hard enough to get engies to heal you at the best of times, a good move I like to do on engies ignoring me is stand on him / jump in front of whatever he is building so he heals me without realising it. A scout with healing abilities is just going to ignore you when you call for medic, to everyones frustration. I mean really, do you think that guy using hide to sneak towards the enemy base is going to turn around and come back to give you a few more HP? How are you going to feel when you have spent ten minutes stealthily sneaking past enemies to sab their base, when a roflman runs over to the bush you are hiding in, stands on you and goes "HAI GUY HEALINPLZZ!?" When space is limited behind the one unit of wall that your entire team is hiding behind, you probably dont need yet more players on top of the squad engies to clusterfuck in there healing people while your team is resupplying ammo and building turrets.

I think it is a nice idea to give the scout skills which directly benefit the team and makes it very useful/indispensible to have a scout in your squad, but I think giving healing is going about it the wrong way.

I much prefer the idea of giving scout the engineers surveillence equipment - engineers often forget to place cameras or radar anyway, they tend to have their hands full with turrets/base/healing/revving/tank repairing to worry about placing their cameras or radar. Either this or have the scout himself act as a radar for his team mates, especially if commander mass targetting gets nerfed, would make scouts indispensible to your team and make it useful for teammates to stay with them and benefit from the radar targetting, and also make it beneficial for the scout to stay with his team, as he will soon see that his squad can kick ass with their radar advantage and everyone will live a lot longer and get more kills.

This also fits in with the scouts role as scout/intelligence without encouraging lonewolfing, which in reality is the only 4th class solution that will be acceptable.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Can we speed up healing as well? At the moment it's faster to just die.

6. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I agree with that, it also fixes the 1-engineer-taking-out-an-entire-base-issue.

7. Empty

Empty Member

I like the idea of cutting engy nades rather than disabling engy box grenades. Maybe replace the missing grenade with something?

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Ye, I don't want the scout to take them from the engineer. The scout should be a frontline/in the enemy base kind of unit.

But just a thinking: Would health boxes for the Engineer be too overpowered?

9. Empty

Empty Member

I don't think health boxes are a good idea. We already have healing, and that works fine.

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

I strongly believe we should leave the engineer as he is. I don't think we want less of them on the field, they often are sparse enough already.

Instead i think we need something else for the scout, that's not stolen from another class. Since the binoculars are still worthless it would be nice if this already existing 'gadget' could be turned into something very usefull to the team. imo it needs to be improved anyway, so it would be nice if we could kill two birds with one stone.

11. Empty

Empty Member

Binocs that spawn an invisible camera for 15 seconds. That's what I want.

12. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

That would be a bit silly tho.

"Hey Scouty, were getting cut to shreds here!! Stop firing back and whip out those binoculars FFS!"

I think having scout as a walking camera would be a much better solution, what do people think about this?

13. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah, no. Being able to spot targets ahead is much more useful more often, and it's much more related to scouting.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I get what you're saying, but you have to understand, we're gonna get screwed if fewer people opt for engy - because they're the only class that can really build and so much relies on building in Empires. That's the only reason the engy has to stay important and has to stay as a big ratio of the team. In fact, 1/4 of the team being engy is far too low, unless you're into the 'stalemate' phase of a game.

You have to be really really careful when messing with the engineer class...because you need them like you need no other class in Empires.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the biggest problem with healing is that you have to be right next to the guy and he has to be stationary. if the heal ability had some "range", like it fired a lightning bolt about 1 meter or something, gameplay would be smoother and funner and there would be no more chasing people across the map to heal them.

16. Empty

Empty Member

And if the engineers were german. What if we had special taunts and achievements too?

17. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yes, it's ripped directly from TF2 because you don't have to clusterfuck to heal.

18. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Haha, I would gladly do the taunts. :D
    But increasing the healing-range just very slightly would be a good addition. So many people call for a medic, then they run away.

19. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

The reason why people never get healed is because they keep moving. I always try to heal people, but they fail to realize that you can't be healed while moving. So if I'm going to heal someone, and they start moving, I'm going to say "fuck it, I'm not healing you".

Also, requesting a medic should put icons towards nearby engineers.

Also, we need a way to tell people that the calculator is a healing tool. Because I didn't know for a month. Seriously. And don't say read the manual, because when's the last time you had to read a manual to play a game.

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Oh my, I'm never putting you next to a large machine filled with gears (and its manual lying next to it), you'll be crushed in minutes lol