Discussion in 'General' started by Krenzo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. PJB

PJB Member

i dont really like gaunlet as a commander or tank driver, and the lookout spots that would be awsome for a sniper are rendered useless as we dont actially have any.... but for infintary it rocks (if it didn't crash).

the thing i really like about it is how it looks, it just makes me want to buy an apartment in one of the buildings so i could live (and die, repeatedly) there.

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Doobie did say he finished optimising it or something along those lines so might see it in 1.065... Hopefully =o

3. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

i think its a good map, but i just hope it doesn't become too repetitive like crossroads

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The whole reason 1.065 hasn't been released yet is because Gauntlet still crashes. I've even gotten Valve involved, and they thankfully pointed out the source.

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

AH awesome, that means that we are 1 step away from getting another update! Pretty soon too, I remember the long wait for 1.06...

6. Doobie

Doobie Ancient Tester

i found a few little graphical and gameplay isssues with the latest gauntlet, but in an hour of testing i had no crashes. Im compiling it right now, and ill shoot it off to krenzo.

One little bit of advise, dont crouch and shoot a rocket from the sniper nests... bad things happen ;)

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

lol :D

I couldnt actually kill any one in those bunkers tho from the center :(

8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Ha. I wonder just which things happen :)

If this Gauntlet is ok, can we head towards an early release of 1.065? (That is, pre-weekend).

9. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I found this out real fast :p

10. ^Dee^

Aye, it is a little annoying not being able to hit the enemy in the bunkers :(

11. Ganks

Ganks Banned

Its amazing how helpful Valve is sometimes...

...Not that I like Valve, sometimes..!

12. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

So now it doesn't crash, but Doobie's vis leaves went to high. Now, it thinks you can see the whole level no matter where you are. 7th time is the charm right?

13. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

..what's a v-i-s leeveS? Ugh, I will never be able to make a Source game. Back to the DarkBasics!

14. ^Dee^

from what I can tell, it determines how much is rendered on your pc at one time.

They make sure that only what you see is rendered.

15. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Oh, so that means.... LOL. I can imagine the map saying "Boom Headshot!" as it killed your graphics card.

16. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

so on the NF rifle damng i did the math and improved health still dies in 3 shots, but but what about a rifleman with increased health, 3 or4 shots?

either way all the updates are nice.

17. Slasher

Slasher Member

A good Mapper should know what vis leaves are and what they do.

what are they? They are a volume/3d-area that are made at the VVIS stage of compiling a map

what they do? While compiling, after making the vis leaves, they check what other vis leaves can and can't be seen while inside 1 vis leave (they do this for every one) so when in game, when you move into a vis leave, it will not draw anything inside any vis leaves that can't be seen.

If you want more info, you can take a look at valve's wiki here and here

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

They're also notoriously inefficient in large outdoor spaces; hence the challenge. Source simply wasn't designed to do large outdoor spaces. Thanks to flexibility, it can (and does it rather well at that) but the usual VIS methods aren't really much use. Things like draw distance (fog) and LOD's are much more effective.

19. Darg

Darg Member

Basically the only objects that should affect VIS leafs are walls or other objects that would block a large area from the players view. Having every little object effect them means that a new vis leaf will be created for that small little spot that you won't see behind each plant pot. These should be set to prop_detail so that they won't be taken into account in the VIS compiling.

20. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Yes, but that's what I hate about all source games. I can always 'feel' those vis leaves. I know each room is seperate from the next, and it never feels like a big world. And I hate knowing what a Skybox is and seeing it 24/7. It's like seeing my world in code. Or base hex. Either one.