1.064 demo recording

Discussion in 'Support' started by MOOtant, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It probably wasn't working at all earlier. I recorded a demo (on district btw) using "record test1". Here's what I get in console after typing "playdemo test1"

] playdemo test1
    Playing demo from test1.dem.

Empires v1.06 Beta
    Map: emp_district402
    Players: 1 / 32
    Build 2707
    Server Number 1
    Begin loading faces (loads materials)
    End loading faces (loads materials)
    Initializing renderer...
    DataTable warning: SetupClientSendTableHierarchy: missing SendTable 'm_iRequest_IMP' (referenced by 'DT_PlayerResource_IMP').
    Host_EndGame: CL_ParseClassInfo_EndClasses: CreateDecoders failed.

This bug will be quite important as BSID is going to have a clan match with GK.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

To record and play a demo, you need to run the game with the new Episode 1 version of the engine which is currently incompatible with commander mode due to a bug Valve introduced. If the demo never enters commander mode, you can record/play demos by doing the following:

Make sure Steam is not running.
    Open "gameinfo.txt" in your Empires directory.
    Find "SteamAppId".
    Change the "220" after it to "320".
    Record/play back the demo.
    DO NOT GO INTO COMMANDER MODE WITH "320" AS YOUR SteamAppId.

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Is this bug planned to be fixed in not-so-far-away future? (not sure if by Valve or you) (the thing that I need to use different steamappid not the commander mode incompatibility)

4. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

So, the Episode 1 engine changes affect ALL of us, even those without Ep 1?

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yeah, HL2DM uses the new Episode 1, and all mods are supposedly going to move to it soon when they release an sdk update.

I could probably fix the bug. I alerted Valve to it right away, but they probably won't fix it for soon since it doesn't affect any of their games.

OH YEAH, ONE MORE THING: If you want to use the "320" app id, turn off the Mini-Map. This will fix the commander crash and the other crashes related to the minimap.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well, now that 1.065/1.07 is getting delayed another day due to MValley needing a fix and R_yell already going to sleep, I'm getting demo recording/playback to work.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I tested 1.07 and recording demo. Everything was ok except commander mode (F2 of course). When I was playing demo while I the player was in that mode camera had very weird setup. Game didn't crash or anything yet. :P After player left the comm mode everything was OK.

Another question if demo recording is more or less working can we setup a SourceTV proxy for ie clan matches? I didn't see any server with tv_enable 1 yet

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I don't know if hltv works. I haven't tried it.

The problem with the commander mode is that demos only record network info. All of the commander stuff (rotating, mouse actions, menu selections) are all client-side and don't get sent to the server to be included in the demo.

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

About SourceTV: could you use tv_enable 1 for official server? It enables the built-in SourceTV. Even if it's not working properly it won't crash the server (tested but couldn't connect because of some network problems (internal network problems))

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

it would be very awesome if you got spectating the commandermode to work (altho clientside commandermode is a lot better to play), but if not, ns hltv didnt have the ability to spectate the commander either

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Yes, but you can record commander mode in demos. (somehow, maybe it'd be good to ask them even when it's HL1)

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

i was talking about spectating :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.