1.05 District402 exploit (Rooftops)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tokenekie, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tokenekie

Tokenekie Member

This is a common exploit found on the new District map in which members on both teams are able to access the rooftops of buildings.

Here's a list of pictures showing what happens and where to fix it.

On the Bernodi Side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the North Faction side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one was taken at the very top floor on the left side of the pucture before it.

I suggest just making the buildings slightly higher.

2. thaile

thaile Member

thx for showing us, I was wondering how to get to the roofs. As for fixing them I feel that if both teams are able to do it then it kind of balances out. Besides that there've been talks for being able to fight on the roofs anyway.

3. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Even if both teams can do it, it's an unintended gameplay mechanic that can be exploited to unbalance gameplay. This = bad.

I would think that slapping a giant playerclip brush across the tops of all the buildings would be an easy fix. It would also be more efficient than solely removing the known exploits.

4. TheGreatHegemon

TheGreatHegemon Member

Or perhaps make it intentional, make ladders to the roofs. Adds another dimension to battles.

5. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

heh very true dumpster , i just got out of a game that had at least 2 or 3 brenodi lv3 mgturrets and a rocketturret up infront of the nf buildings base so as soon as we spawned it was like total bloodshed.. couldnt really even leave the base start..

6. Tokenekie

Tokenekie Member

7. Artemas Ward

Artemas Ward Member

That thread has no evidence that the rooftop battle favors the Brenodi Empire. I would like to see some expanded rooftop carnage though....

8. Geogriffith

Geogriffith Master Debater and Conflict Resolutionist

If it was intentional, it'd be fine. In the meantime, however, I'm going to continue to consider an exploit.

But at least with these screenshots, you don't have to give up the game just because you're getting raped from above. IMHO, counter-exploitation is justified if there's a solid, 10-man plus game underway.

9. Tokenekie

Tokenekie Member

Artemis Ward. There are incredible vantage points for ther Bernodi at the end of their rooftop that I didnt want to spend pictures showing.

The reason the rooftops are so hard to defend is that you cant shoot bullets at the people there and when you try to throw nades, they hit the roof of the map and bounce back right to you; it takes a few tries to get the trajectory right and by that time, you've probably been killed.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You can basicly get on the roofs or in the balcony's everywhere, just have to find a good place to vlimb from.

11. jambo

jambo Member

i don't think the rooftop positions you've shown us is a real big glitch or error of any sort , what i mean is , i think its quite acceptable to get on to the ledges.
    but getting right onto the roof would be a problem.

like as shown below

he he , i'll let you all work out how to get up their
    for all u noobs , its on top of the nf base in district

nf on the roof.jpg

sorry , should have got a better pic , but the second time i went to the roof i got stuck inside an ammo crate which intself was stuck inside the ceiling
    still , its cool place to set up turrets

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

There is one more place where you can by building turret/radar/camera.

Building are too high to enable roof walking. Either make them smaller or finally end with that exploiting.

That hacking problem has something with linearity of district. This map is too simple. You can practically move just in one dimension don't even think about 3. City fight should be more complicated.

13. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Try to justify it all you want, guys, but the fact remains is that it is an exploit. If there were stairs, or functional ladders, it would be acceptable. But no, this is completely unintended, and is used to circumvent the path gameplay is supposed to take. No matter how you try to dress it up, this is cheating, and on my server, at least, will earn you a kick or a ban.

14. dizzyone

altho it is exploiting, going on the roofs does not give you any advantages, like cliff exploiting.

Its just a simple jump on turret and for some places on another player.
    tell me one halflife mod where you get banned for doing this, cs? ns?

If you ban people for something small like this, then ban me right away (not because I do it, just to make your banlist bigger :P) and I would hope a lot of people would get banned so they would play on a different servers where the admins actually have a life and only ban for being a assfuck and stuff that is really worth banning for. The map is in a beta and im sure even if people exploit youll have enough real battles going on in the map

No matter how much you are right, it doesnt do any harm and it would be nice if people could enjoy something innocent like this :P

Besides I have done it for short periods of times, not to get an advantage, infact we already basicly won ticket and flag wise, the map just takes very long, its fun to try and jump on roofs and stuff, and if you were really sportive you would actually not care and try to kill them (like a lot of people), next to that I have seen loads of people jump on roofs, so who the fuck cares dude

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  15. Jn.

Jn. Member

Wow I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. If I'm correct, the second ledge he posted is accessible by ummmmm walking up the stairs that lead to it.......That is in the NF spawn right? There is a doorway, it has stairs, you walk up, and you are in that window.

16. thaile

thaile Member

I remember when this map first came out people where complaining about how the map was to linear and that there wasn't enough paths. Well now there 3 paths, the main street, the back street, and the rooftop.

Complain about it all you want, but it's not going to stop people from using it. Personally I feel that the rooftop adds a whole new dimension to the district map and also makes the gameplay faster and more dynamic, instead of the farming battles that are currently is.

You can farm all you want but if you don't protect the roof then a couple of engineer can take them out easily from the roof. Or a couple of scouts and sneak around it and take the flag if you're not watching. etc etc the rooftops opens up a lot of other possiblility that wasn't there before.

Currently almost all of the building and rooftops are acessible so instead of complaining just make it a part of battle and accept it.

17. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Now, here's the problem with taking that stance: if an exploit like this is deemed acceptable, what are the boundaries for other exploits? Climbing on top of cliffs in other maps is definitely seen as poor sportsmanship, and falling under the map and shooting back up is seen as even more deplorable. But if one exploit is considered "okay," then why are the others not considered "okay?" Any player can get on top of the cliffs easily enough if he/she knows what to do, and it certainly does extend the gameplay possibilities, so why should this be seen as illicit, while the rooftops in District402 are not? Same with finding a way to get under the terrain. Hey, it's there, and it's not like it would be impossible for anybody, so what's the problem? Hell, it might even open up a new dimension of gameplay where players have to learn to go down there and counter them, and if some players have a hard time catching on that they need to exploit the map to stay in the game, that's their problem.

Can you see the problem here? If you have a rule, and you make an exception for some reason, then you open yourself up to a whole host of new issues. If it doesn't apply in some circumstances, why should it apply in any? The rooftops in District402 are an exploit, just like any of the other exploits in Empires. It carries the same penalty as any other case of exploitation on my server.

Perhaps I did come off as a bit harsh in my previous post, but that does not change the fact that those are the penalties for the infraction. However, I should probably clarify one thing: chances are, you're not going to get kicked or banned for it. I am incredibly lenient, and give players repeated, kindly worded warnings. You would be hard pressed to receive a kick for 'sploiting the rooftops, and you would have to be particularly determined to receive a ban. By "hard pressed," I mean you would not only have to be refusing to get down after repeated warnings, but you would have to be slinging foul language in defiance, as well. And by "determined," I mean you would have to re-join kick after kick until it becomes apparent that you won't just go away, and that you will continue to try to disrupt the game for as long as you are on the server.

There is only one thing that will result in an instant ban on my server: slurs. I will not tolerate them in any form (although I will give a very firm warning to people spouting the occasional homopobic slur; they have not exactly entered the American lexicon with as much gravity as ethnic slurs, and tend to be thrown around with much greater frequency than I would prefer. Most people don't even realize that they're using a slur when they say it. Even so, I'll probably only give you a warning if I like you). If you are to ever join my server, keep this in mind.

I'm just sayin' is all.

18. Carnifex

Carnifex Member

this can be resolved by a simple clip brush ^^

19. dizzyone

i never said it was okay, I just think banning people is even less okay

20. jambo

jambo Member

yeah , the nf base rooftop isn't realy an exploit , like someone said , theirs a door + stairs leading right to the roof , and anyway theirs not much you can do. and theirs no where to go , its not a short cut over the linear map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.