No classes, permanent ( round ) skill selection

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Paradox, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I wanna know how you guys think about a system where there are no classes anymore.

At the start of the game you only have your primary and secundary. These can be chosen and swapped during the entire round. ( everyone starts with SMG 1 and 2 ). At first you can select 1 pathway-> defensive / offensive. ( or what ever pathways you guys can come up with )

When you select defensive you can choose a grenade and choose a utilty item -> mine sweeper, calculator, what ever. When you choose defensive you unlock sniper rifles, assault rifles etc.

Every 10 points you can unlock another skill or change a skill. But its permanent so choose wisely.

->>> Going to a system where at the beginning of a round you are basicly nothing, you have to work your way up. I think this would be a super interesting concept and much more engaging for the players playing

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont think permanent would work out. being able to switch between offensive and defensive (read engi) classes is kinda crucial.

3. Paradox

You can switch, every 10 points you would be able to permanently reset, or just change something instead of adding a new item

but lets not talk about specifics, I wanna discuss the concept of such a system instead of the interchangable classes we have now

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

still ...

... i can see a flavor in the general concept. i doubt the semi-permanent thing would work out tho.

5. Paradox

I feel like as it is right now, you are way less engaged as a player to the game. You dont have a goal except to win. When you give people permanent selections it makes it more engaging and more purposeful. Well atleast thats how it sound to me

6. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

With the current system. It clearly defines roles that a player can play. This makes it easy for a commander to review their team structure, and act accordingly. "More grens, less scouts". With a custom system... Great, now wtf is my team composed of? Who can I give tank targets to?

Other FPS games have this feature. Cod, cs, halo, but they are only FPS games, they don't have the RTS angle.

In an RTS game, you need to know exactly what your units (and your opponent's) are capable of, so you can strategise and plan tactics. With this proposed system however, there is no easy way to do this. Making the commander's job exponentially harder.

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

That's still classes...

8. Paradox

you obviously dont get my point

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I am entirely for a classless system, but this isn't the way to do it. People need to be able to switch out equipment whenever they need to.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Whenever there's a "point" related discussion, I'd like to point out that it takes an average player 30-40 minutes to get 60 points.