Comms and Scouts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by vipervicki, Sep 9, 2016.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I don't know if this is doable, but comms should have the ability to change a teammates class from scout to something useful when needed.

2. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

This would take away from the players freedom to choose the class they want. It removes the freedom of the FPS part of the game for the FPS player.

Also, if you can do that when they are out in the field, wouldn't that negate the whole point of an armory or barracks for swapping classes?

Empires benefits from just the right amount of micromanaging for the commander, go anymore than that and I think a com could abuse it and people would get sick of it.

3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

it would only apply to scout class so newbies would be changed to something useful and only used when necessary like the first half of game, maybe it can be auto disabled last half of game.

4. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

This might be a large ask, but perhaps building in progression systems for empires... Perhaps locking certain classes(ahem. scout) until specific player criteria are met.

For example!
    Give a tutorial for each class, about its capabilities and how to use them. Force a player to complete the appropriate tutorial before they "unlock" the class.
    Hence forcing the player to learn how each class works (to prevent "total noob"), and perhaps make them understand the relevance of each class at each stage of the game.
    you could even force the tutorials to be done in a preferred order. As soon as the player has completed the tutorial, they "unlock" the class for use in multiplayer.
    Engineer.
    Rifleman/Grenadier.
    Scout.

An alternate example!
    lock the player to engineer until certain "achievements" are met (this could be actual play-time(would require playing on a server at > 1v1)). Then give access to all classes once done. E.g. revive 2 teammates in a single life, construct 5 refineries in total, repair 300 points of friendly buildings. Sort of passing an "entry exam".

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Newbies are never useful, if they're fucking retarded no matter what class they are they will be useless and shit.

Yeah let's punish the smart players because this game has a huge influx of retards...

6. VulcanStorm

It wouldn't be a long tutorial? 5-10 minutes or so... depending on the class.

7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Oh you meant just a tutorial? You said "specific player criteria", I thought you meant number of hours or something like that.

8. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I agree with that I have been suggesting before I made this post that the class scout shouldn't be available until a certain amount of hours are played. Your ideas are along those lines and good ones

9. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Why not just make a loadout system where we can equip any gun with no "classes" but all perks become available?

10. VulcanStorm

Mines/stickies and hide skill? Yes please :P

But in a serious note, that's a whole different discussion(new thread). And really wouldn't help the "why so many scouts" problem.

The bit you quoted was the tutorial example :)

Of course for actual in game play time based approach, we'd need to collect player stats first. It's just throwing ideas around. And re-enable achievements for the criteria based one.

11. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I only have one thing to say... What I always say... You can't fix people's stupidity, no matter how hard you try. Taking measures like that will just piss the smart people off.

12. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

not really X.. some games have a basic training you need to pass before allowed to play the game. But not having scout available until a certain amount of hours played would not piss off any newbies IMO. and many games offer more weapons available, leveling up etc the more time one has played. So its not really very different than those games.

13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

And people still suck balls at those games and act like retarded chickens.

It would piss me and anyone that thinks like me off.

And those games suck and this does not belong in Empires.

14. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

If a new player is smart he will not choose scout at the beginning of a round any way.
    Any suggestions on how to prevent newbies from choosing scout?

15. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

One option I saw discussed was not allowing scout as a choice until you reached a certain point level. One day server based rankings might be factored. ATM I just don't see a good option for all though.

Team vote based? "Should player X change to class Y?" A once per round only option and I'd have to give player X veto power.

16. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Just let them be scouts. People like sniper rifles.

17. Avatarix

why not give them also revolwers, people do love them cause they look cool
    and also give everyone BEAR because people do like it

18. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Why wouldn't he play scout? If he's smart then he communicates, then he's in a squad, and I don't see any reason not to have a scout in a squad. You don't have enough experience to make that claim Vicki.

19. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

then why do so many complain about have several scouts on their team?

20. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Because they're not in squads, not playing with other people, not communicating. It has nothing to do with the class. Them playing rifleman on their own would have the same result.