Empires 2.6.3 released

Discussion in 'News' started by Candles, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Spread is a better way of handling sniping than falloff, in my opinion. Due to rounding, falloff can cause major issues with damage calculations.

I'm not going to buff anti-tank MGs that much; I believe that they shouldn't be primary weapons in any case. I've been running a *lot* of numbers comparing all the weapons (except for Bio because it's a bitch) (I also learned how to use spreadsheets in the process), and I've reached the conclusion that their Damage/Heat is too low and their Heat per Second is too high, especially for their weight. DPH is lower than for almost every other weapon in the game, and HPS likewise is too high. If I lower the heat and weight so they're more in line with other weapons, then lower the damage to compensate, I'm wagering they'll get used more often without being main weapons. Annoyingly, due to rounding, you have to subtract 1 from all their damage, which is actually a 16% damage reduction to DU right off the bat.

Also, although I'm talking in fairly general terms, most of this applies only to DU. DUHMG is a different beast entirely as a main weapon, I don't want to touch Plasma yet and HEMG is actually fairly decent, but it could do to shed a few pounds.

Oh and if a weapon doesn't list a specific value, that doesn't mean it's not applied. For example, falloff has a default value of 1000 and falloffBase 0.85.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. complete_

complete_ lamer

increasing the lock time to compensate for the number of missles shot is good, or you can just remove salvo as its bad

and two complaints that are mutually exclusive:
    when dumg is researched, you get a 2 slot and 3 slot equivalent. why cant something like that be done for upgraded ml?

why is rail the only 3 slot weapon and homing/guided gets to be used on mediums and heavies?

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The thing about DU is that when you get it, you're getting a weapon that can be used by mediums and heavies, and a weapon that can be used by APCs. The issue I would have with doing that to UML is then you'd get a weapon that can be used with mediums and a weapon that can be used with heavies. Part of the issue I had with double/triple ML was that it gave you both a good end-game and mid-game weapon, which decreases diversity in research.

Also, that reminds me, I might put research costs for mediums/heavies/artillery back in.