CV death-cam

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Broccoli, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Sometimes it is unclear to new players why a game has ended so abruptly. The main cause of this is the death of the CV. To make it more obvious that the CV is important (as well as loading screen tips) I think that when a CV has been destroyed, all players should be given a spectator view of it, with a short delay before showing the score-board.

I'm not sure if it would be possible, but the next stage on from this would be to play a short replay of how it happened. I'm sure this would be both educational and entertaining, although I've no idea how it would be done.

Pros:
    - New players realise the importance of the CV.
    - The person responsible may get greater recognition (if they're visible on the closing screen).
    - Friendly players are reassured that the game ended properly.
    - Enemy players can see where the CV was.

Cons:
    - Players lose their original view at the end of a game.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

While throwing my turret around like mad is indeed very fun, I feel this feature would be very nice, useful and unique.

3. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Why not.

Just make it so that spectator view locks to the CV and you can freely move around it by using mouse and zoom in and out so you can see what was around it and stuff.

Yeah, why not.

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Why not a rotation around the CV? you look at the defeated team's CV while the camera is spinning around it :D

5. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Nice idea. I some times would like to know what happened to the com. And its more interesting than simply stairing in the last direction you where looking.

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Like when you win at BF2142, you watch the enemy titan expload? i really agree, this is good.

7. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

totally, instant replay of the comms death. Great idea. Then they might learn to watch their teams cv if any of the usual ninjas are oppoising...doubt it but maybe.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Ok, so now we've figured out something that everyone wants- any ideas on methods to help krenzo code it? this sounds like a massive massive coding task to me... imagine all the times that the camra will actually be pointing at a rock that is between the camra and the CV, or the camra will go through displacements.

anybody here got any ideas to help out?

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

How about rotating around the enemy who killed the cv or last infantry, one of the problems of rotating could be that most of the time the cv is in a corner of the map and the camera causing to clip against the boundaries of the map.

10. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Funny, I had this idea while reading the forums yesterday... someone said something about how people are all "WTF???" when the game ends abruptly, and so I though a CV death cam would be appropriate... and then I thought about the difficulty in deciding where the camera should be placed, and just tossed it aside. Probably the best way to do it would be how Unreal Tournament ends deathmatch games. Everyone got an endgame camera on the person who won, and they could move the camera around him like in 3rd person spectator.

11. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Yea, watching a Bob or Dubee ninja replay would be the best way to end a game.

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Easy solution: Have everyone record each game automatically.
    Problem: Demos get bloated after time, and an Empires match takes its time.
    Further solution: Intelligent recording: Game starts recording when an enemy is near the CV or it is damaged.

Other suggestshens?

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That's the difficulty in having a replay, you'd need some kind of demo buffer, which I have no idea if it's possible.

The far easier solution is just a live camera view. I picture it would slowly rotate around the CV, at a fixed inclination of ~45 degrees. Even if it does clip into displacements, the camera can see straight through them (from the inside). I can't remember, but how does the chase-cam spectator view handle surfaces? If it avoids them naturally (moving the camera closer to prevent clipping) then the task will be much simpler. I'd say for a first version, clipping would be acceptable though.

Either that, or give a top-down view that slowly zooms out. How many commander maps are there where the CV can be put inside a building?

15. Mr. Weedy

Did anyone read my suggestion properly?

I said that the camera wouldn't automatically rotate around the CV but it would just lock to the CV. This would be actually very simple thing to do, in my opinion, because you just need to take the third person view code when you spectate someone, that makes your view to lock to the same target and you can rotate the camera around him freely.

Then just change it so that when CV gets killed, lock the camera to killed CV.

Now you don't have to say: "OMG CV got blown in a corner I can't see what happend. OMG map changed I couldn't see how it got blown up."

And then take the zoom code from the commander's view code and then add it with the CV deathcamera code and there you go. You have third person view of death CV which you can freely rotate, zoom and it doesn't matter is the CV in a corner or tight place or under a bridge.

And the view would lock to the CV at the same time when it gets killed and everyone gets freezed PLUS you can move your view freely in commander's view and build things and other stuff when the map is over.

So I don't see big challenges there.

16. Align

Align Member

Yes to CV deathcam of any sort.

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

weedy, people dont follow suggestions to the letter. suggestions are about improving the game, and are enhanced.

18. Mr. Weedy

But because everybody was complaining about the automatically rotating camera and the corner issues and other things, I thought why make it so hard and difficult when we have simple solution on our hands already.

But if people want to do it in the hard way, go ahead. That was my suggestion.

19. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

your suggestion was to do it the hard way?

20. Caelo

Caelo Member

Wouldn't a "thirdperson spectator mode" work as well?
    I mean why would you want to add zoom?