Vehicle Armor suggestions.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chahk, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Chahk

Chahk Member

I thought I'd put all of the ideas I had in, regadrless how difficult they would be to implement.

1. Grenadier's Armor Detection skill should show the type of armor along with its health.
    2. It's always been bugging me that all armor icons look identical. Different icons would help not only during customization, but also for Grenadiers, should point #1 be implemented.
    3. How about allowing different types of armor on different sides of the vehicle? E.g. Reflective on the back, Absorbant on the front and Regenerative on the sides. Should definitely make Grenadier's Armor Detection skill more useful (see point #1 again), as well as tank battles more interesting.

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

#1 may become too powerful- this would show what research the enemy completed and thus what research you need to counter with. On the other hand, that might be just what the research tree needs to increase variations on research. Cpugeek pointed the issue out here. Also, this may become a moot issue if customized chassis are created for the actual tank models, as I heard that was the ideal. Perhaps some sort of compromise, such as the grenadier only knows the type of armor if your own team has that armor researched.
    #2 seems easy enough.
    #3 seems incredibly difficult to implement. I mean, the devs are still working on making the second armor slot not useless, let alone different armors on each side. I say work on the intended, combo armor plating that was what was wanted initially.

3. Chahk

Chahk Member

Good point. I didn't think from that perspective. You're right though about this being an incentive for more varied research. It would be like "Holy fcuk, they've got A, B and C armor!! Comm, quickly research X Y and Z weapons so that we can counter."

Btw, I haven't heard anything about customized tank chassis. Got link?

Oh, no question about the difficulty of implementing this one. But I'd bet it would be a lot easier than coding combined armor effects. However, I was under the impression that the 2nd armor slot thing was scrapped altogether. Can't find any forum posts on the subject right now, but for some reason I thought that it was abandoned. Any devs care to chime in?

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

Actually the second armor went away.

But I'll get to work on #2 in a little bit. :D And I'll do the engines while I'm at it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  5. Caelo

Caelo Member

there was some talk about this on IRC ;) Also there's a hidden developers forum around here somewhere, but I have had no luck locating it though.. :pathetic:

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Here's a suggestion, don't bother with three layers of armour on the front of an AFV, you'll never get hit there, no matter how hard you try.

Oh, and all those suggestions would be fun.

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

There's still a second armor slot?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  8. arklansman

arklansman Member

I think your quote got messed up. >_>

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

why not just make the armor 2 slots, easy enough.

I like the ideas, don't see much use to the last thought tbh, complicating something that doesn't give you any real advantage, I mean its nice you could be able to regen your front, to use it as primary armor, then put reflective on your sides while facing the enemy tank with your front side, and put reactive on your rear to be able to take lots of mls while trying to escape from ml turrets. Sounds nice in theory, and it would be kinda cool, except these points:

a) all the different kinds of armor should be researched, is there really any place in your research scheme to make a tank that requires 3 kinds of armor? Doesn't even remotely sound like a viable strategical decision to make, the time and money spent on this research just doesnt way down to its effectiveness. It doesnt make your armor 3 times as strong, basicly the same thing that cost you 3 times as long. The research tree isnt built on this as you would need to go into 3 tier1 trees just for the armor alone.

b) On most tanks all armor sides are pretty much equal in combat, one reason you would want to do this might be to reduce costs and cover your weakpoints (like the be heavy's rear), or some wacky tank tactic to approach enemies with, but 9 out of 10 times, even if you're the best tank driver in the world, you're not going to be able to predict the other players aim and where his weapons are going to hit your tank. Next to that, how would you be able to effectively counter enemy tanks, if even one of your sides is weak against whatever weapons the enemy has, that side is your weakest link and screw you up (you are as weak as your weakest link, anyone?), thus having multiple armor will only increase the chance of the opposite team having a proper counter against it.

Lets say for example the enemy has bio, bio has a splash damage, so if he was able to hit you at a place that made multiple sides get effected by the dot(or lets say he has the mg and sprays you all over), the side that had the weakest armor is gonna be torn to shreds, and the next bio hit is going to be eating your hull, whether or not the other sides were left practically untouched.

c) Complete overhaul of the vgui, and maybe even the current system. THeres a reason this point is the last, this was my main and only point against niarbeht's suggestion on the armor sides and turned out that krenzo had no issues implementing it, but its still a point to consider, is it really worth changing a system that already kind of works, is there any real benefit over the current system?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  10. Chahk

Chahk Member

Good points, Dizzy. I'll reply when I think of something to counter them with :)

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

12. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Oh yes, that forum. Lots of interesting things go on in there :D

13. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Funny, I have no trouble accessing it. Check settings?

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Yeah, I don't know what their problem is. :rolleyes:

15. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Yeah, it puzzles me why they can't get on it.

<_<

>_>

16. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I officially do not lol.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

[​IMG] (Plain)

[​IMG] (Absorbant)

[​IMG] (Regenerative)

[​IMG] (Composite)

[​IMG] (Reactive)

No idea for Reflective.

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Reflective could have reflections of light, or a lightbeam hitting it at an angle and bouncing off.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Nice. Make reflective look a a bit like a transistor symbol, with the bouncing arrow. Ignore the circle and everything else.

[​IMG]

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I was indeed thinking of something like that, but if there was only that to discern it from plain armour, it would be a bit poor. I'll have a look at it

EDIT:

I suck at making reflections lol :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007