[Turret - AI]: An investigation into its behavior

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Awpolt, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Turrets have always been a bit wonky in the world of Empires. They don't always fire at targets, even though they "aim" at them, they don't fire if you are too close, and so on. Now, let's examine these oddities in more detail:

1.) The Turret won't engage even though they've detected a target.

This is apparently caused by the Turret trying to aim for the target's center of mass, instead of any part of the model. This causes the Turret to "rapidly shake".

Could this rule be loosened and make it so they engage the edge of an entity? Or maybe relative to a player's point of view (where the camera is on the model)? The first option might be a bit too extreme, I don't know.

2.) The Turret won't engage even though a target is standing directly in front of it, at close proximity.
    This occurs when you essentially hug it.

3.) When a ML Turret is engaging a target, it will sometimes keep rotating, instead of maintaining a steady lock on the target.

I've learned that in the past, developers had mentioned that the Turret code would require a complete rewrite, or quite a few changes.

2. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

Turrets can shoot at your center of mass or at your head, in short, if you see them they should see you.

Turrets only fire when they're done aiming so if you're too close and keep walking it'll keep trying to catch up. If you're too close it's possible your head is too high for it to reach, making it ignore you.

I'm not sure how this would happen, could you capture a video of it?

We can probably fix it, even if we need to rewrite stuff so don't worry about that :)

3. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Thank you for clarifying this!

There seems to be an issue with this. You can clearly see that they want to attack you, but can't. The following illustration demonstrates this. The MG Turret is attempting to hit me, and is rapidly shaking, but cannot fire for some reason. If I remove the wall, the Turret will resume its engagement.

[​IMG]

Would it be possible to make it so it can always find a way to hit its target, providing it detects it?

This is a difficult one. I believe it happens when multiple targets are going in/out of the Turret's detection range, and sometimes briefly rotates and then begins to re-engage its target that it was originally locked onto. It's like it resets or something. I'm not sure. You can see the difference between a normal rotation and a locked-on rotation.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Neoony likes this.
  4. Neoony

Neoony Member

You can pretty much always find a spot where you can clearly see the turret, and the turret more or less clearly sees you...turret will keep attempting to aim at you but failing. (even if it would actually hit you, if it just fired)
    In fact you can keep it occupied like this.

But mostly if you dont show your whole body, the turret is quite confused. Just like on the picture above.
    You can often find this sweetspot and then just unload your rpgs at it with peace, looking face to face to the turret, while turret keeps aiming at you on and off not shooting.

It seems the turret sees you but it fails some kind of another "check" to shoot.

Not sure if good thing or a bad thing. I mean it can be the disadvantage of turrets :P

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

MG turrets fire only at the center of the player which leads to 1 and 2. I can't say i ever noticed 3.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

I guess the turret always aims at the closest target?

So im guessing if multiple targets keep closing at the turret, while switching their closest distances to the turret, might make it rotate oddly, not shooting much because of switching targets.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I am fairly sure that when turret locks on a target, it'll keep firing at the target unless the target loose the lock-on, doesn't matter if there's a closer target.

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Hugging the turret makes it nt shoot you.its great.just litterallystand against it and it will aimloock you but not fire.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i wonder if you really want turrets that can shoot at you if you reveal even the smalles part of your model. or even only when they can fire at the center of your head.
    dont forget, turrets hit you, there is no escape.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017