Keep track of a very minimalistic decency in commanding, show it during cv vote

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Forced tutorials are the simplest way ever to teach a comm how to comm.

I mean an aspect empires lacks that all other rts's have is a singleplayer mode, you know that mode you most likely play first and figure out how to play the game? Obviously we can't have that in empires for a multitude of reasons, but a simple tutorial that teaches the absolute basics of commanding, how to move camera/placing buildings/how research tree works/and just how important refineries are. It would take like 5 minutes to complete, and that's really all that's needed. Going too indepth, while possibly a nice idea, prevents people from learning the core values that's going to be used every single time they are in the seat.

Things like what to research should actually be in the research menu, when you open it up the first thing it should say beyond click a node to start researching is to get armor->engine->weapons->meds or heavies depending on map. Even better that's something that could be added in like 10 seconds right now. Attack orders would require other players, or in case of a tutorial bots, so that's just gonna prevent the tutorial from ever being made and that's no good. It's not even that important to be honest, it can be left to be figured out during an actual game.

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

It's not the only way, never has been, there are 2 guides on steam that people can read and there's more in the wiki. If you're looking for the information, you can find it.
    Just because most noobs are too stupid to find the information by themselves doesn't mean it's confusing or hard to find.
    Empires commanding in and of itself is not confusing, in fact it is overly simple compared to most RTS games.

You may teach them how to be in the commander seat but you can't teach them how to be a Commander...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I woudnt mind to changing the idea so that you can only get your first point from doing the tutorials...

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Of course not, to me the biggest problem is people who hop in the seat and then proceed to do nothing because they don't know how. Multiplayer games are not the place to learn basic things. If they know how to drop buildings and do research I don't really care how new they are because everyone has to start somewhere.

5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

"If you're looking for the information" being the key phrase there. I don't play many games where I have to look for the information, let alone from sources outside of the game. A game hooks me into it, not the other way around. The only reason I probably stayed around when I picked this game back up in 2011 was because I had already learned most of what you need in 2009.

My point is, no it is not the only place the information exists but it is most definitely the only way the information is actually acquired - leaving aside the inevitable cries of 'au contraire' that blanket statements like that one tend to invite.

As Lazy said, all I want in a commander is somebody who knows how to place buildings and the basics of research. I'm not looking for mastery, only competence.

Even simple things, like F2 to get in comm view? Legitimately how would I ever know that.

BlackRedDead and flasche like this.
  6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm not part of that philosophy.When I play a game I like to do research on its mechanics to understand how it works, be it with a strategy game like Age of Empires where there are hidden stats a complicated formulas or a hack-n-slash like Grim Dawn. Empires is no exception, if I don't know anything I will look for the information, as I know most people are completely ignorant.

Again, the very first thing one should do when playing ANY games is look into the controls and try and memorize as many of them as possible, and even change them to his likes.

I'm not denying that 99.99% of the players are ignorant and want to stay ignorant. And neither am I denying that we need a tutorial, just pointing out that yours is not the only approach.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

so conclusion... this is a good idea?

8. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Yes.
    However I think that you should only be able to upvote people, rather than down vote them. This keeps the atmosphere positive and doesn't make players feel like they are "not wanted".

As you said, points should drop every new patch, but also by 1 point every 2 weeks? So that it represents a decay of ability over time. So only the most recent commanders have high scores. You have to keep playing to keep your score up.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

This seems better, i agree... not sure about 2 weeks as the time, but open for trial and error

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

should, would, could ... but isnt. its cool you do all that stuff, like really, but you cannot expect people to be (like) you and sourcemods aint popular enough anymore to be picky.

and i dislike the idea. better communication like senor or lazy suggested is the better solution imo. empires, by "modern" standards, is quite obscure.

also its easy to try out comm mechanics by yourself already. just fire up a listening server and figure out the controls. thats how most of us did it i assume.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    BlackRedDead likes this.
  11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

lol what? Not everyone is mature like you are. I learned commanding by failing over and over and getting my ass flamed. Doubt the majority of empires players learned how to comm on empty servers.

12. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

what about a general rank visible ingame&outgame?
    that gets feed by rank progression, 1 rank pt for every rank progression step in a match
    the further you progress in rank the more rank points per match ;-)
    idk the rank system well enough to develop the idea further, but for every x rank pt's you get a permanent rank too that shows your experience and so can help in deciding com because he should reach rank x to haveat least basic knowledge of the game!
    can also be devided into class specific ranks, that also show only at that class!

13. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

well, asking experienced players helps!
    (as long you reach the right ones that actually help you instead insta downvote you because you dare to ask for help -.-)

building and research tree can be self learned tough!

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

That idea is rank, if not for the fact that its utter shit... we need less epeen, not more, you rank soab.

15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

The right ones helped me, by flaming my ass. You dont actually think that 14 year old me was going to listen to friendly people giving advice.

16. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

it's what is used in most fps games :P
    and just works fine, especially in rts/fps mix like battlefield 2&2142, natural selection, nuclear dawn, ...

17. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

well, that's an demographic problem -.-

eighter you learn from knowledged ppl the easy way listening, trying and prooving (right or wrong) or the hard way searching, trying and failing (or succeeding - but with no proove) xP
    tough try&error is a legit learning method wich i use too if there's eighter no better learn source available or the available source seems to be wrong! - wich reasonless arrogant behavior indicates btw

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yo wot?

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Thats exactly why we dont need it, empires will never attract people like battlefield players. its 2 different games.

Especially since epeen is already a massive issue in empires, and that would only make it worse.

20. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

think about that sentence with the low pop e-penis cs kiddies in mind - no wonder!
    noone likes to join a community with that kind of behavior! - empires as game isn't very attractive because it has some clear flaws over real rts/fps mixed games and some will remain because the effort would be to high or is just not possible at the source engine!
    i suprisingly like empires today for reasons i hate it years ago - the fast paced vehicle combat and instakill accuracy issued infantry combat are two examples, while they still have many heavy balancing issues they shouldn't changed to much in concept!
    (of fast pacing combat! - not a better and more challanging "divergent" balancing concept!)
    but thats offtopic!

i just trow the "ranking" tought in because it is simpler to implement and already prooven in many games! :)
    (no i'm not a c++ expert, atm learning it^^ - but have a bit experience and an idea of what is possible how at the source engine!)
    anyway, i don't see the need for it, at the end of the day you have 60s to chose a com, if the vet's stack at spec they shouldn't complain about joining a newbie or noob com!
    and there is a chat where ppl can be promoted! ;-)
    (just only promote ppl where you actually know they are good com's! - and otherwise just life with it, we won a match on emp_money with a horrible com that messed up research totally and was also not that good at building!* - against a decent enemy team with better research wich just haven't used theire superiority and prefered to hunt us rather than swarm our base!)
    *we had only 1 rax and 1 vf the entire game... - he prefered to build armory's at early stage and also defended only 1 (south) entrance -.-# - at least until we got heavy's, after that i concentrated to take enemy's out in team, wich was actually great! xD
    we traped 1 NF heavy with 3 BE heavy's :grinimp: - great teamwork over the rest of the match, love that<3

much offtopic, sry