emp_atomic, also chris0132's fabulous blog.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

it says blog. I don't go by sections I go by new posts.

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

It's very nice looking so far. Can't wait until you finish the details on some areas. Can't imagine the doors will remain simply cut out of the wall forever :P

You said this was a project for school? ^_^ it'll be nice to have something done to this degree of professionalism. When will you expect to start map tests?

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

He was joking about your thread. There is nothing non-map related in this thread from Chris. And you can read "Mapping" at the top of your screen. Ignorance is not an excuse. You do NOT shit up game-content threads. Ever.

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Dickster, stop shitting up this thread plz :/

5. Trickster

:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's a mapping blog, as in I post map updates as I do them. The subject is mapping, now keep your horrible face out of my thread, you are messing up the otherwise aesthetically pleasing theme.

University, although I wasn't actually taught how to do it, the only thing uni is doing is making it go faster.

The doors tha are cut out of the wall will be cut out of the wall, having to open doors kind of gets in the way of the flow. I've stuck shutters on a few of them for looks but otherwise I'm not planning on sticking doors everywhere.

Testing will start when it's done, which is going to by neccesity be within two weeks, I'll release a version and request that people write up small posts describing what they like and what they don't, and any particularly good or particularly problematic areas of the map they've noticed in testing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Todays content update features the northern admin room, same theme as the western room only a bit different.

[​IMG]

Again the cente of the room is set into the floor, only this time it's deeper into the floor and there is less cover from the areas around the edge, so in this room you will probably want to use the upper areas to shoot down into the lower ones, but once you're in the lower areas, you can take cover above the pipes and use the raised catwalks (with the yellow lights) to take cover from other players in the lower areas.

As always, needs more crates and stuff on the walls to break them up a bit, but the general idea is there, this room is basically a more open version of the western room, a bit different but not so different that it would be unbalanced.

[​IMG]

This is the western roof section of the admin building, it also needs more crates but you can see what it's going to be like, I'm using ventilation ducts to break it up and and a rooftop sort of feel to it, there is also a big room overlooking the basin here, which has a couple of benefits, either it will be a spawn room (but I am still at odds with whether I really want a spawn point in the middle) or it will be simply a good place to hide out, with ammo and health for both sides available, as well as the ability to observe the battle in the basin from a good vantage point, no shooting will be possible, but you will be able to relay information to people in the basin from here, so this might be a worthwhile consideration in organised matches.

[​IMG]

This is the interior of the roof structure, again this was designed as a spawn room so it doesn't have much in it, but I wouldn't expect much fighting in it anyway given that the only thing it connects is the two sides of the roof which are also connected by the central room and its two staircases, it's good as a secondary route, but I would expect most fighting to occur through the central building, not over the roof, but again it's something worth considering.

[​IMG]

This is a quick overview showing the roof with stuff on it now, so you can sort of see the layout a bit better.

Next up I'm going to have to start on the final building of the map, and it's also the biggest one, and it's also going to involve some vertical gameplay, and my entdata is already at about 130% full.

Won't that be fun.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

when I see those purple lights, I keep thinking that there should be some haziness around them :o

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I am currenty waiting to see the doctor about getting some badass painkillers so I can stop wanting to kill myself to get rid of the pain I'm currently in, so I won't be able to update this thread for a while.

10. Trickster

It's the UK. At best, you will get Ibuprofen or Cocodamol. Maybe Tramadol if it's really bad pain. Either way, you'll still be in pain.

11. FN198

FN198 Member

hopefully your corpse doesnt fall through the grated areas because it'd be a bitch to revive that

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Anything stronger than those is either addictive or will devastate your liver or have far too many side effects (NSAIDs already fuck up your stomach lining or whatever you call it so try not to go over 4 grams per day btw)

13. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

what? no vicodin?

It's not addictive if taken for very short periods of time. like, 1 week at the most.

14. Trickster

Except Tramadol isn't addictive, but if you have long term pain, you have to carry on taking it, even when not in pain, because the withdrawal is that bad. And as Metal Smith said, things like Vicodin aren't addictive in small quantities. It's mixed with paracetamol and a bit of hydrocodone in it. Enough to provide pain relief that works, but nothing close to taking morphine, pure hydro/oxy etc. Also, with ibuprofen, the biggest thing is to not take too much though. You could take 4 grams/day for a year and do a decent amount of damage. Bit overdo it just a few times in one go (say 4g at once) and it will really, really, really hurt. And I mean it seriously fucking hurts.

But yeah, in the regular dosage amounts, none of them will do your stomach in.

15. OuNin

OuNin Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Got tramadol and something else, as well as a regular max strength paracetamol and ibuprofen.

I'm having difficulty reading properly but it doesn't hurt so it's an improvemnt.

Now I just need sleep and food to make up for 48 hours without either, and for the tramadol to stop making me dizzy.

But yes they were reluctant to prescribe anything, had to see three doctors and two dentists to get the tramadol and the other thing.

They tried codiene but it didn't work, either I am immune to it or it was simply not effective.

In either case, probably going to be another couple of days before I can resume content updates.

Oh and if you want space, you'll enjoy the room I'm working on at the moment, it's about four storeys high.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I can take like 800 mgs of morphine and feel normal. 200 use to make me sick

18. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Any doctor that prescribes Tramadol for longer than two weeks is retarded anyway (and any pharmacist that doesn't notice it should be shot)

You'll definitely want a proton pump inhibitor if you're going to take NSAIDs for extended periods.

Odd, I thought weed negated morphine resistance, I'm probably thinking of one of the isomers though (I know you quit, just sayin)

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

its called ms-contin that's what I was selling for huge profits then my.. woah your sig scared me beer.. even though I knew about that for years.. but anyway... I gotta super taper of it.. I just went 2 days and felt like shit so i just took 600 mgs.. imma try to go 3 days this time and then take 2 or 1.. i dunno what to fucking do ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

20. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I love how a mapping thread became a drug thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.