emp_atomic, also chris0132's fabulous blog.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I meant more the first 10 minutes with both teams rushing apc's and tanks into the ridiculously horrid choke point with infantry trying to fight eachother off as well.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Slaughtered is a terrible map. Looks like ass and all the fighting takes place in one narrow corridor.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I never said it was good, I just meant that the description of being suppressed by MG fire in a ditch sounded like slaughterd :P

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It wasn't really in agreement or disagreement, I just hate slaughtered.

5. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

^ yep

are you gonna put any way to get to the middle on foot, like dry spots to hop on?

I don't follow the part about infantry spawning in the middle of the radioactive pool, are they just going to have to eat the damage when they leave?

looks sick

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You only take damage if you step in the green stuff.

The bits that aren't covered in green goo are safe.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Slaughtered has no ditches or built-in cover at choke points:)

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the S bend is a huge ditch, usually spammed with walls :)

9. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Slaughtered is a completely lost cause in map design. The only thing that could possibly make it better is aircraft. :D :headshot:

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Small update:

[​IMG]

This is just a spawn room, but it's notable because those consoles and server boxes are probably going to be used in other parts of the game. I also partiucularly like how the servers look with a couple of lights placed in them. Should be nice to have all the weird light colours in the admin building for example.

[​IMG]

Stuck some heaps of crap in the basin for infantry to cower behind. Probably going to stick some sparse vegitation in there as well, shrubs, reeds, that sort of thing. Plants don't give much of a crap about radiation so they usually do fine in irradiated areas. Also need to add some decals. I'm reluctant to add too much in the way of props though because it will mess up the driving aspect, the basin is not that big so tanks are going to need to be able to use the walls, so I can't add pipes sticking out of them and stuff.

Spent most of the time making the interior of the tower and wiring up the second floor access elevator, unfortunately I forgot to parent the wheels to the elevator so it doesn't work properly at the moment, also the wheels turn backwards, can fix with simple alterations.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

goddammit chris you are one really detailed artist!!! O.o

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I am?

Honestly I am not really happy with the look of most of the map, source is kinda limited, and the props don't really exist to do most of the things I want.

I could do much more if I had more freedom with brushes and models, as it stands I need to save some for the rest of the map.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

if you tell me what you need im gonna see what i can do concerning props
    (although texturing them might be a bit more difficult)

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The cover looks nice but too big to cower:p

15. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

looks awesome, but dark, putting off doing more lights until the end?

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Need to add a couple more streetlights to backlight the cover, I just forgot, also the spawn room needs an actual light in it rather than just the glow off the props.

It is dark yes, and I'll add lights to make it less dark where neccesary.

17. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Of course, standing an inch away from radioactive sludge never hurt anyone.

Seriously though, that map is impressive, and although I wish infantry maps would take up permanent residence in /dev/null, it looks like yours could be fun.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

'Nother quick update:

[​IMG]

The basin looks much brighter with the rest of the streetlamps in position. Still looks nightlike though with the artificial light sources highlighted by glows all over the place, also looks better with a bit of foliage, which I'm going to see if I can increase a bit by enabling detail props.

[​IMG]

Tanks look nice with backlighting, stuck a spotlight on the turret and crashed it through one of the bridge gates, bridges are going to be inaccessible but this casts a nice light into the area in front of it, and also adds a nice landmark for players to remember, they can say things like 'at the gates with the tank' or 'next to the petrol truck' or 'at the place with the big fire' and suchlike. These are useful for orienting yourself in a map, and the view from the roof of the admin building (which you can see the first couple of walls of in the next shot) should allow players to get an overview of the map.

[​IMG]

Speaking of overviews you can see one here, you also get the beginning of the structure of this area, the transformer section is an example of what most of the middle ground is going to be like, more open areas with chunks of crap to hide behind, divided by fences with openings every now and then to allow passage between areas. I'll see if I can find some way of highlighting the openings so you can see them, also all the important buildings should have a very visible beacon over it, the admin building will be visible from most places because it will have a useable roof space and second floor, the bombed out building has a huge smoke plume going above it, the BE station should have a big radio tower on top of it when I get round to making one, and the generator building should be huge with a couple of chimneys on it. Basically you should be able to just set your sights on a landmark in the sky and run towards it, this should help solve some of the 'fucking hell where am I?' comments I got about the king city.

Also I'll probably make some signs when I get round to it, probably not for first release though,textures take time to make and you really should be able to get around without them, if I can't do that then the design is obviously broken.

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

maybe you should place some flares/torches at the holes in the fences
    the red light they create would be a nice contrast i think

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.