emp_atomic, also chris0132's fabulous blog.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FN198

FN198 Member

damn chris this is looking pretty hot.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

[​IMG]

Interior of the western section of the admin building, supposed to be a garage/loading bay for road vehicles. The central area is going to be roof access, and the northern section is probably going to be some sort of pumping station/runoff monitoring room with pipes running through it.

[​IMG]

Essentially the western room is a series of trenches, because you can move on the floor level or just below it, a lot of the cover in the room is also walkspace. Grenades should be particularly useful against people sitting the trenches covering the doors. Pillars and boxes also help to break up the room and provide full cover here and there.

The fenced off section is accessible from the final trench and leads to the central room.

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Err..shouldn't the plants in the basin be all dead?

Also, if you spawn in the middle building, does that mean you can't get out?

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

If the plants are anything like chris, they thrive off the radioactive decay.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Why CSS APCs?

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

[​IMG]

Nope.

Yes I deliberately made a spawn point which has absolutely no access to the rest of the map, I think it would be an interesting gameplay mechanic.

I suppose I could swap them out for BE apcs, mostly I just wanted something neutral but the CSS apcs don't work in static mode for some reason, so the BE APC static version would probably be better.

I'm trying not to use too many freestanding faction vehicles incase people think they're real and start trying to get in or shoot them.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Why is it that I have a book on my desk containing almost exclusively short stories about people going murderously insane, the death of all humanity, written by an incredibly racist author, and it's still more pleasant to read than this thread.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

because you enjoy brutality?

did I miss something or you just high? I don't see much in this thread that is negative.

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I don't smoke anymore(2 months), you are just missing something.

10. Empty

Empty Member

You could use the wreck models, or just have them covered in rubble or something to make it more evident.

11. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Well that's a radioactive facility..they bury radioactive materials in airtight steel containers (or something..). We're talking about radioactive/toxic sludge/waste that has vegetation growing in it.

And was that sarcasm on the second part? I can't tell.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You don't have that book, it has words of up to seven syllables in it.

It's chernobyl, there's crap growing in the reactor that actually lives off the radiation.

Like I said, plants don't give a shit about radiation.

Why would I make a spawn point that you can't get out of?

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Dubee, if you start shitting up mapping threads, I will remove you from this forum.

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Sorry Chris, I didn't read the first part of this quote carefully.

15. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

are you going to place ammo boxes that aren't connected to flags? Those are quite good for reducing spaz attacks (by me) on infantry maps.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I was planning on having engineers drop them, but thinking back I can't actually remember if they can do that in wall restricted areas.

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Yer good.

Everything now works as you would think it does. I think at one point there were a couple issues with the menu simply being disabled or something, but it works fine now.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Wonderful.

I spent most of this morning trying to get a lift to work.

For some reason the sounds wouldn't play half the time, so eventually I said fuck it and just rigged the entire thing up to half a dozen ambient_generics and fired the sounds that way.

Hacky, but functional. The central room in admin is going to be a big clusterfuck, it's got two staircases to the roof (which is going to be accessible from the outside by catwalks going up the walls of the admin building), two doorways to either side of the building, and one elevator to the basin.

[​IMG]

Hopefully it should boil down to teams controlling the different areas, if a team controls the basin and the BE spawn, while the other controls the generator building and the NF spawn, then one team will attack from the southern door and the elevator, while the other team will have the northern door and the staircases.

I'm kinda expecting though that the middle flag will just be a complete and utter mess, there's so many converging routes that you'll mostly just have to take enhanced senses and hope for the best. Should be fun.

[​IMG]

The basin and the admin building now have this corridor connecting them, it's a bit too linear for my tastes but it's kind of unavoidable as the structure of the basin walls prevents me making a huge entrance. However I am planning to allow vehicles to drive into the corridor, so if you park the APC I'm planning to give both teams in there, you basically get to spawn under the admin building and take the elevator up in batches.

The elevator itself is more than just a moving platform, it's a box with a barrier round it, which stays up for five seconds after the elevator gets to either end, so you will have some cover, I'll also stick a couple of crates on it. It's big enough for a squad of five with room to move, so you should be able to use it to make attacks on the central room. Although as always elevators are something of a deathtrap so I wouldn't try it if the enemy is expecting you.

The elevator also closes a pair of doors over the shaft when it's down, so you can't fall in or drop down the shaft without using the elevator, you can however just make it on top of the elevator as it goes down, which would let you get a couple of stickies on any APC parked in the tunnel, so do try it.

Trickster wanted some overview shots, most of the map is still not filled with stuff or lit properly, but you can compare this to the designs in the first post and see the similarities, as well as the differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yes and I'll probably add breakable skylights into the north and west rooms in admin, so roof access also gains you alternate ways into those rooms.

I'm only slightly behind schedule, I was hoping to have the centre done by today, but I am a day or two behind. Still I did account for about a week of overrun so I'm not too worried, especially as I've gotten into a nice work pattern this last week.

Bit of a change from the last map I made.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

That looks fucking amazing. I can't wait until you fill the rest.

One question, how much of the hammer grid do you expect to fill?

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

One quarter of the grid, which means one quarter the size of king, or cyclopean (I assume). However the density means you might actually be hard pressed to fill it with 64 players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.