Skill stacking

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -=SIP=-, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

word

also

I knew taht post would de-lurk you

2. communism

communism poof

touche`

3. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

naw removing em will fix

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I forgot about KM. However, I think more people quit the mod because of regular skill stacking than because they can't always join the side they want. If, as a new player, your team gets rolled for five matches in a row, you're probably just going to quit.

Also, some of the best Empires matches I've played have been between well balanced teams. I think some type of skill-based balance plugin would make these types of matches more common. With regards to vets spec stacking, I find many long-time Empires players don't mind playing on opposite sides, they just don't want to be the only competent player on a team. This type of balance plugin would help ensure that.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Decent system that could work: Get the server to track howwell someone scored the last round; kills, deaths, build points, building destruction - somehow add those together to form a "how useful is this person" metric - take into account time spent in game (someone who scored 100 points in 10 minutes is FAR more useful or skilled that someone who scored 150 points in 30 minutes.)

Then, at the next round start, rebalance teams - as someone joins a team, the skill of that team rises. Try to keep the skill level of each team equal, while also keeping the number of people equal.

This doesn't allow people to PICK teams anymore, or if you do allow people to pick, it gets more complicated.

People joining who didn't play the last round count as zero skill (and THIS is the major pitfall of the system.)

Skill numbers must also persist even after someone leaves, to prevent asshats from leaving/rejoining to circumvent the system.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  6. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

just use PSR mang it works.

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Not really it just reduces the effectiveness which using a single game sample has already done.

8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Well, single sample is the simplest way; a true back end for stat tracking based on steamID is better, but requires more work...and requires someone to put up the back end servers (and then somehow prevent people from getting access to them - you can't just password the server, you have to autorize certain server IPs to add data (reading anyone can do - adding has to be limited so someone can't just insert fake data and make themselves seem more or less skilled than they really are.)

9. recon

recon SM Support Dev

While I agree with you in theory, I don't think that's the case with Empires. Largely, the same people are still here. Sure, a few left, and there are a few new guys, but it's basically the same group.

Likewise.

In theory, yes; however, translation into reality is where we encounter problems, of which I will elaborate below.

Exactly. The question becomes are there enough skilled players to sustain such a system? I think the answer is starting to tend more toward the affirmative than the negative, and the tutorials will push it even further in the former direction.

It's also invalid. Single samples are inaccurate and irrelevant unless combined with other samples.

We have the infrastructure, security, and competent individuals to make the technical aspects of such a system a reality.

10. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

In the new Empires League season, both teams will be skill stacked! On purpose!

11. recon

recon SM Support Dev

You're still here Evan? WTF?
    /OT

There are three questions that must be answered to everyone's satisfaction before such a system goes forward:
    • The theoretical - How will skill be accurately determined (hours, points, etc)?
    • The technical - How will "balancing" be implemented (team join restrictions, auto assign, scrambling, etc)?
    • The moral - Will the community accept such a system?
    In the past, the answers to the first two have all been wrong to some degree, and the third wasn't even considered. With rational pragmatic answers to the first two materializing in this thread, and vastly different reaction to the third, we may, perhaps, be able to seriously consider the idea; that being said, moving slowly, and ensuring everyone has an opportunity to express their point of view are key to the success of such a system.

12. jasgud

jasgud Member

What about doing something like picking teams on a pickup game of hockey or football.

Everyone votes for a Captian (commander), then the comm picks the teams from a list of players. Comms are usually experienced :rolleyes: enough to realise who are good players.

13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Thank you for pointing out the glaring flaw in that logic.

14. jasgud

jasgud Member

Just an idea, maybe something to throw around.

15. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

count on counter stacking. some people try to counter stack, which is awesome ^_^.

16. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Often times we counter it so much that it turns into a reverse stack.

17. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

It becomes a reverse stack because the initial stackers act bitchy thinking "meh we is counterstacked. lets gtf out of here no fun with equal skill in other team"

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Easiest system is time based only. No assessment on skill, just experience. It won't be perfect, it won't be 100% accurate, but it would work for at least 80%. Under 10 hours is worth 0.5 players, 10-100 is worth 1 player, 100+ is worth 1.5. Servers can turn off this balance system if they want, as long as it still tracks player hours for other servers. No points over time shit that can be whored, just simple hours. Only time actually inputting into the game counts, i.e. if you don't for 30 seconds, it stops counting. Stops idling, and we make it not count specs.

Sure, there are ways around this, but if 1 or 2 people want to clock up their hours for no apparent reason, just to make it harder for them to join the team they want, that's up to them.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i think removing all identifiable characteristics of players like names, how they talk, language etc is far more efficient in making people not stack

that or randomise teams...

20. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

So what if I write my name with bullet holes right in the beginning of each turn?