Longest time you've gone without sleep

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ScardyBob, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

video games stimulate endorphins
    most drugs stimulate dopamine or serotonin in some way

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

shrooms and acid are not addictive.

primus - lacquer head

Bill hicks is right. Drugs do good things for music.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i want to be able to tell what huxley wrote a whole book about in a single comprehensible forum post, why is such undertaking impossible ... :cry:

the problem is we lack a culture of using drugs. illegalizing does not only not solve the problems drugs might bring up, they even intensify the problems. ive heard in some states of the US you go to jail for just a bit of marijuana, how fucked up is that?

also, actually most drugs are illegal for no apparent reason.
    here one of the best examples:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#Drug_effects
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)#Long-term_effects
    please explain this to me.

heres something for your fear of addiction
    [​IMG]
    source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Drug_danger_and_dependence.png

and finally i ask me ...
    WHY IS ALCOHOL STILL LEGAL?
    WHY DO YOU JUST HAVE TO GO TO A DOCTOR AND SAY "UH IM IN A BAD MOOD" AND GET SOME FANCY PILLS?
    WHY DO THEY GIVE KIDS RITALIN, WHEN ALL THEY WOULD NEED IS MORE ATTENTION IN THE FIRST PLACE?
    WHY DO SO MANY STUDENTS TAKE LEGAL STIMULANTS TO BE ABLE TO MANAGE THE STRESS?
    WHY IS THIS NOT A PROBLEM, BUT DRUG USAGE IS?
    WHY DO I THINK THIS IS HYPOCRITCAL?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Ketamine is awesome. Best drug evar, But atm, I'm as high as a fucking kite. Shit's hot yaw. Seriously, tripping BALLS. I HAVE REVELATIONS FOR THE PICKLED THREAD.

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I know what drugs are addictive and bad when abused and I smoke weed to slow down my brain not to "make me smarter" as those idiots argued with pickled about. But my main gripe is about hallucinogens. I think they can do good for people.

Lucky for me shrooms can be found growing all around here. Funny thing is most of them grow in front of library's.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

End result=similar? I don't see too many people getting a good work out from games, although Soon! We'll have full body movement capture in games, then we can get this shiet on and you'll see mah danger roll all over the place :p

Dopamine and serotonin produce a dependence, don't they? Because your brain gets used to them...the thing is, video games produce a straight LIFESTYLE dependence, so in some ways it's easier, but in many ways it's harder. I'm sure most of us know what a NEET is, hell i'm one of them - and it's even easier in the current economic climate to fall into that trap, but when we start to go further into things like Hikikomori, then we've got a problem.

Clearly, we all love gaming, but we've got to face up to the fact that gaming and entertainment - films, dramas, anime etc, all contribute to people shutting themselves away from the real world. I think that's a real bad thing, because if you go back just about 20 years, the world seemed a lot more like people were going to do things to move to a future where we get all the shitty nice things we dream about in sci-fi - like flying cars and milla jovovich...er...

Anyway, basically most of that impetus just straight disappeared for quite a while. I believe a lot of that is due to people not believing in anything but their box - 9-5, marriage, having kids...blah blah etc. But also that the ones who should have been pushing through with it, i.e. us, kinda got lost in the oh-so fantastic world of gaming.

I mean, who wouldn't? It gives you exactly what you want at the time - the only thing you have to put up with is it's on a small screen instead of in real life. But these days, it's massive screens and it sure as hell looks like real life.

Who knows where I was going with this. I guess the conclusion is we settled for the easy option now, rather than pushing for the hard one for later.

Thing is, we can always change that. Pfft, i'm beginning to hate that word. Let's say instead, we can break the world, with vision. I'm forever harping on about if people could see what we could be in front of them, in their daily lives, lighting up the skies, it'd be a lot better. Because a lot of us have forgotten that we're not done yet, this isn't the pinnacle of civilisation, this isn't the end. I don't believe in working 5 days a week and getting all stressed and shit all the time. I'm sure none of you really like that idea either. We can do fucking better. We're humans, no one's got the drop on us, we own everybody.

Life is a skydive, not a slow train to work. Let's light up the skies and go out guns blazing, cos if there's anything that's common on these forums, it's that everybody here thinks they're better than everyone else. Maybe you fucking are, go out and show that shit!

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Most everything can become addictive. You don't even have to injest somethings for them to be addictive. It just has to have an affect on your brain chemistry.

That being said, some things are way more addictive than others. But just because shrooms and acid are not addictive to you doesn't mean it won't be for someone else.

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

[​IMG]

This is getting to be some pretty deep discussion.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

So add to it...

I mean flasche is right, they have arbitrary rules for a lot of stuff, but the reason alcohol isn't banned is since time immemorial it's been a pillar of society. You can't ban it now, even if you wanted to, even if you didn't need the revenue of the whole booze industry, because it's just that much part of our culture.

Can I hear an aye for sacramental wine?

10. Varbles

hallucinogenics are pretty much not addictive and hard to overdose on. My mentality is just stay away from amphetamines, hardcore opis, and coca and you're pretty much safe.
    also Ikalx is it just me or are you talking really weird

edit: and IIRC its only exorbitantly high amounts of serotonin, usually from coke or heroin, that produce serotonin syndrome, where your brain actually stops or slows serotonin production and you become virtually addicted.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

They did ban alcohol, and that is what started the mafia. They would smuggle in Canadian beer and sell it for a lot of cash. The mafia turned out to be a very bad abomination and it only happened because of a ban on alcohol.

As Ikalx said the world isn't about the TV, because the TV is just a screen that project 60 images in one second. There is real life, grow up and be part of the people who changed the world. You might think its too late and that everything life changing has been discovered but there are things missing.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ya Dig?

Hey, I do remember hearing about that. Yeah...not such a good idea in the long run. And hey, if we actually had a handle on ourselves we could be trusted with all these things.

Ain't that the truth.

Funny thing is, in this society, in the days and lives we live with in this era...we don't actually take the right approach. I mean, I live in the UK, in London actually, and it's pretty plain to see we have a nanny-state atm, and it's a bit shit. But the thing is, people don't take responsibility for themselves, so it's kinda needed...in a really random shitty way.

The main beef I have though, is we have a brilliant free society where people are now able to say "Hey, it's MY life and I can do what I want!" Right, right? Well no, WRONG.

The fucking thing about this attitude is it dissolves the bonds between society. Don't get me wrong, I want everyone to be free, just you have to understand one fundamental thing about this world - YOUR LIFE DOESN'T JUST BELONG TO YOU.

No, seriously. You see someone on the street getting mugged? - During the day? On a busy street even? Time was no one could get away with that shit, every citizen, every man and woman on the street - regardless if they had 50 kids and no spouse, would go to help that guy. What do we do now? One or two people out of the 20 there might be brave enough to help. That's bullshit.

And that's fucking because we all value our lives so highly that we don't want to risk anything in our "free lives". You know what happens then? We ALL suffer for it. I saw something recently which said it perfectly - Sometimes, in fact most of the time, You have to protect others to protect yourself.

And that's what's been taken away by this me-first attitude. Like it or not, we're all in this together, that's what society and civilisation is about. Live your own life, but know that life comes with a responsibility all on it's own...it's what keeps us safe.

Maybe a few people might agree with that.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

as long as we keep talking about cities, and not towns this reality you speak of did not exist (cities because on town everyone is family of each other, so they tend to meddle more with each others lives)

14. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Apparently a teenage girl got shot in a grocery store in the USA a few years ago. While she was laying on the floor in a pool of her own blood, dying, people just stepped around her body, as if nothing were wrong. Some took pictures. No one tried to help. I think the paramedics freaked on the observers when they arrived, at the very least someone could have tried to stop the bleeding until the paramedics arrived... The human race disgusts me.

15. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Don't turn this debate into something is not. We were clearly discussing how hallucinogens improved or altered peoples' perceptions of reality before everyone started talking about legalization.

So shrooms made you realize that humanity is a cancer. When you consider that the entire sum of human achievement, existence, and emotion is less than a tiny little atom to the monolithic universe we inhabit, what significance is that statement? What importance is a tiny little violent, cancerous atom to the universe? Did your drugs let you see how absurdly gigantic the universe is and how nothing will care about anything anyone does when the end of time comes? Did any aspect of our understanding of reality (the size of the universe, for instance) come from drugs?

Of course not. Drugs do, however, serve an important role to humanity. Drugs are there to make us forget that we are shitty little toolbags that can't do anything about anything. Even the richest, most powerful, and most influential of us are less than a speck of a speck of dust to the cosmos.

Enjoy your reality.

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I personaly think its positive to know that no one in the whole
    universe cares what I do. It gives everyone the freedom to do
    whatever they want.

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Do you want a mind altering experience? The next time you have a nice clear evening, go outside and look to the sky.

Think about how far you can view when you look up. Think about how far you can see and how many stars you can see. Each and every one of those stars is gigantic, each one of them many times larger than the earth. Most of them are also larger than our own sun. The distance between each of those stars takes light many years to complete their journeys from one star to the other.

Then consider that beyond that there is a huge mass of visible stars that you can't see that are still visible with powerful telescopes. Beyond that, there are massive voids of space, in between which, galaxies many times the size of our own exist.

At some point, after extending your vision through countless fields of galaxies and galaxy clusters - celestial bodies many times larger than anything you can normally imagine - you will reach a black wall. This is the point at which light has not yet had the time to reach the earth. The galaxy is actually not totally perceptible from earth for this reason. We can presume that the actual universe is several times larger than the observable universe, but it's anyone's guess as to exactly how much larger.

Can you even fathom the concept that the universe is so large that light traveling from the far reaches of it for billions and billions of years has not yet had the time to reach the earth?

Like mayama said, enjoy doing whatever you do because ultimately none of it will ever matter.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  18. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

rollin at about 28 now, just finished exams baby one paper left

19. Varbles

Pickled is the mother of all philistines

20. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

A put on my slingshot and pebble.

Anyways.

Pickled, I have done that. It's nice, and it kept me occupied for about 2 hours. It gives you a chance to think.

As for society nowadays; my guess is that people are afraid of being different, or are afraid for their lives, wealth, and family. I really don't want to go start something unreliable such as a business because of the fear I'll fail. I want to go be an engineer for ATI/AMD after graduating from the USAirforce-Academy. One could say that my life will be boring but look at it like this; an engineer has one of the open-est minds. And he can actually design his plans. I'm not going to be the next bill gates, but I might discover something great.