Why is every thread that says anything remotely negative about 2.25 being closed?

Discussion in 'General' started by Trickster, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I'm actually stating that it's a BAD rule to have. Two of the things that enable this bizarre juxtaposition is Kant's universalization of truth-telling and his concept that every human being must be treated as a means to an end.

I'm telling you that Kantianism is actually harmful. If truth-telling is universal, and I find myself in a situation where lying is more utilitarian than telling the truth, then I must tell the truth regardless of the outcome, because I have accepted under kantianism that lying is always harmful.

Furthermore, treating each human as an ends to their own means forces me to assist and aid people even when they are doing something which is contradictory to my goals. In the aforementioned example, I could say that my end is to save the lives of a jewish family that I am harboring in my basement. I could treat the nazi soldier as a means to my end by telling him that I don't in fact have any jews in my basement and I have no idea where any jews are. However, under kantianism I would be forced to treat the nazi soldier as an end to his own means, and in conjunction with the categorical imperative, I would basically be forced to either tell the truth or say nothing (which would be awfully suspicious).

So what I'm saying is that sometimes it's okay to treat people as a means to your end. Basically I'm saying that Kant was wrong.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. Zeke

Zeke Banned

[​IMG]

offtopic offtopic offtopic offtopic... :pathetic:

3. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Duh.
    Think about this: just because the Romans were slavers, does not make principles like In dubio pro reo wrong.

If Kant said that how you act should be always be an example for everyone else, then It does not mean that one principle is wrong because other principles are wrong.

If you can save a thousand lives with a simple lie, then that is the way everyone should behave.

You know you can cherry pick the things that are sensible, that improve the life of humanity, or that are right in a most general cases, even if they are wrong on some edge cases. Did we throw away Newtonian mechanics, just because relativity? No, because in our daily life newtons solutions are a lot more accurate then we could even measure.

And I do not care what other theories people have build on top of other theories. Thousands of years of theology, with different schools of thoughts and many brilliant minds, does not mean that are not wrong.

To summarize again: I'm not saying that Kant is the definition of being right. I'm saying that if everyone act according to the categorical imperative we would probably have a better life, it might lead to worse results in some edge cases, but it is a net win.

Edit: Fuck you Zeke.

4. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

You are not getting it.

THE CATEGORICAL IMPERATIVE IS WHAT ENABLES NAZIS, NOT KANT HIMSELF. KANT WASN'T ALIVE WHEN THE NAZIS WERE AROUND.

Besides, philosophical paradigms are nothing like Newtonian physics. We can just design an entirely new system from the ground up if another one is evidently broken.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

when following kants rules, one could keep quiet and not tell on the Jews, anything that happens then is completely on the Nazi's blame-scale

it would probably get you shot as soon as the Jews where found, but i doubt it would matter to me, i dont like kants rules anyway, i live by my own version of "do as you want others to do to you", and telling a lie from time to time is part of it, we do not live in a perfect world, so imperfect solutions are needed, even if they have the chance to backfire in your face

6. Brutos

[​IMG]

Also I disagree. Nazis were enabled by a screwed up ideology, that only allowed them to respect their own people.

If you argument that the categorical imperative does the same, fine, the biblical golden rule did only apply to jews too, when the person that supposedly called himself jesus formulated it back then.

BUT BECAUSE ONE RETARD SAID SOMETHING THAT CAN BE ABUSED DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT DOES NOT HAVE A VALID CORE.

And I consider treating new member, no matter what retarded questions they ask on the forum, with at least some respect, and not falling back to plain stupid elitism when someone is too lazy to support his position with arguments or is just plain wrong as bad. That's what probably someone smart in every culture thought and formulated something that is similar to the golden rule.

I just quoted Kant, because I don't want to only mention the bible and acknowledge their position that they invented morality, but show that other people said the same without relying on a one true god.

If you don't like Kant, take Richard Dawkins. I don't care.

Still linking Kant to a bunch of retards that were obviously wrong, but had enough power to go batshit insane and kill a couple million innocent people, just because Kant might have said something that if understood with an incredibly screwed up perspective might justify their actions is plain wrong in my opinion.

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

If you're following the golden rule, you're essentially following the categorical imperative. It's the same thing with different flavor text.

However, I would posit that you're not following either one. You don't ever want people to lie to you, for instance, so when you lie to others you are actually breaking the universalization principle central to the categorical imperative. You're saying that in some cases, it's more important to look at actions and their consequences rather than rules. this is in DIRECT OPPOSITION of both the golden rule and the categorical imperative. I daresay it even sounds logical. But you need to acknowledge that you're not following a rule at all, you're looking at consequences, which is really the opposite.

You are being a CONSEQUENTIALIST, which was exactly the kind of person that kant was criticizing when he developed his philosophy.

Edit: dawkins is also a faggot retard, but for other reasons.

8. Brutos

Yes, I'm cherry picking the good parts of both worlds.

If I can create more happiness(/pleassure) with an action then I might destroy then I go with that. This is utilitarianism.

And my general approach is to do that thing that I think everyone else should be doing. This is the golden rule.

In most if not all cases these two principles do not contradict each other. If they do then I use my brain and decide what is best for whatever thing I happen to care most at that moment.

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

But that's the problem. There are already philosophies that try to incorporate the best of worlds. Try virtue ethics, for instance, which looks at both rules AND consequences. it also predates both deontological and teleological philosophical paradigms by hundreds of years and was developed by arguably the most philosophically inclined people the world has ever seen.

The categorical imperative is concerned only with rules and obedience. Whether or not your lie is a little white one, of if it saves the lives of thousands, matters not to the giant obelisk of Kant's legacy - you are VIOLATING the CATEGORICAL IMPERATIVE.

10. Brutos

Yes and we are violating the laws of Newtonian mechanics with experiments like the LHC in Cern. Poor Newton :(

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

All right. Well, you have failed to persuade me that the categorical imperative is worth more than dogshit, or that you even follow the categorical imperative at all.

Furthermore, I believe that I have conclusively proven that the categorical imperative forces otherwise good-intentioned people into committing terrible acts in some situations.

12. Brutos

I think we both need to congratulate our self for realized both (a) following rules without thinking yourself is bad and (b) we were on the same side all along.

13. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

You should try arguing about determinism.
    /me grabs popcorn and soda.

On this one i side with Brutos. He's the good guy
    One can't debate with pickled as he will continouosly re-state his point, without giving any solid arguments, ignoring anything that doen't fit his worldview.

14. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I understand, zealoth, that some of these concepts are hard to grasp for someone who is new to philosophy, but Kant himself basically shot himself in the foot on this topic before he died, admitting that the categorical imperative forces people to commit actions which most would consider to have terrible consequences. You can view the link I already posted for more information.

15. Brutos

Meh, I'm stopping now, I have to go continue learn about short stories about imperialism. It was an interesting, albeit irritating discussion.

16. Brutos

Oh yes, since you are an English major, can you go through the last few of my posts and look for bad grammar? I tried, even though I did hurry with my responses, to make as few errors as possible. I should repeat the rules where I still make mistakes so I do not make them during my exam on monday.

17. Empty

Empty Member

How pedantic do you want your grammar checking.

Do you want spelling and basic grammar, or things like whether to use a comma or a semicolon.

18. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

You cannot possibly have idea if i'm new to philosophy or not.

“Act only according to that maxim by which you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law” is a purely formal or logical statement and expresses the condition of the rationality of conduct rather than that of its morality, which is expressed in another Kantian formula: “So act as to treat humanity, whether in your own person or in another, always as an end, and never as only a means.”

Thats the Categorical Imperative.

Kant denied the right to lie or deceive for any reason, regardless of context or anticipated consequences.
    Because good excuses open doors for bad excuses. If Hitler didn't lie, he would never get the power.

You can deny god with simple statement "Create the unliftable stone and lift it" - you can construct anything you could possibly think of using imperfect, crude language that humans use. There cannot be 100% accurate rule describing world.

I might not have said what i wanted as english is not "my first fucking language"

19. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Take it to the off topic forum if you want to discuss philosophy.

20. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.