Emp_Alpinerush Beta 2

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [lodw]keef, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

[​IMG]

Alpine Rush
    Version: Beta 2
    By: [LoDw]Keef

I got alot of inspiration from slaughtered for this map, tight packed little canyon areas for fighting. The map is basically a circle of 4 bases with 2 paths connecting one to the next. I havn't spent alot of time on this map and really it is not complete but i've had it sitting on my computer untouched(I havn't had time) for a month or so. So I figure I'd release it anyway and see how it goes. Beta 1 of alpinerush had fog in the lower parts of the map making for some cool looking environments and fun combat, however the fog looked far different on computers with different graphics settings giving an advantage to players with better computers so had to remove it for fairness sake. Performance on this map is top notch, vision is significantly limited looking anywhere, canyons constantly twist and turn hiding previous areas to hopefully limit to short distance combat.

DOWNLOAD emp_alpinerush_b2
    -Mirror 1: Sendspace
    -Mirror 2: John Shandy's Blog

CHANGELOG
    Beta 1
    ------
    Fog implemented and removed, public play revealed it to be a problem.

Beta 2
    ------
    Initial Public Release

[​IMG]

BE starts in the South-West and NF starts in the North-East.

SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Looks quite a bit like slaughtered, but without the boring sameness that leads to suck!~ Sweeeet

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

ya just looks ugly though :P

4. Empty

Empty Member

Please don't make walls out of stretched displacements, it just looks terrible.

5. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Musical soil! :D

6. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

What walls? Have you even played the map?

7. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Map looks like shit, but looks like it'll playout well, hope you get it to looking better =P

@Shandy, the sides of the hills, i think that's what he's talking about

8. Empty

Empty Member

Walls as in hills that are too steep to climb. Like slaughtered and what is clearly visible in the screens of this map.

9. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Oh, I believe those are like that for the driving fun. Who cares about infantry being able to climb them (you probably don't want to be climbing on them with all of the people using turbo in their jeeps to half-pipe through the valleys along the sides of the hills). Even then, there are areas where infantry can climb to and take cover behind rocks and etc. Slaughtered is fun, I've always liked the way the terrain and mountains were on it, but just thought it could use a texturing makeover. Bush has always had the same type of terrain and hills in most places, and I've always liked it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Shandy he was talking about the stretched displacements not the fact that you can't climb up the walls, he said that to point out where he was talking about. This is a pre-beta so you'll stuff like this, he'll smooth them out by the time it is ready to release i'm sure

11. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Interesting map, but it is hard to drive.

12. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

It'd be cool if there were infantry paths running up and down the hills

13. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Fun map, from that one test a while ago. I hope this gets prettier, though.

14. spellman23

spellman23 Member

1) add infantry only paths

2) it looks like certain paths are more optimal for getting to the ref point, but I haven't run around too much with a timer to check that

3) love the overall feeling of close quarters and twisting paths (yay multiple paths to get everywhere), but the two major chokepoints make me concerned (NW and SE). I see they're the secondary base spots, but perhaps something like an infantry path that scales/cuts through the mountain right in the center would do wonders to help alleviate the chokepoints and prevent it from being a two-front on two corners of the map.

4) I spot 3 other major chokepoints besides the major corner spots. There's one outside each base and an extra one in the NW corner. A way to get around these would be nice, but every map needs some chokepoints, so feel free to ignore this comment. Just be sure you're aware of them and balance stuff accordingly. Thankfully you didn't make any chokepoints in the same spots as a ref. =]

Overall, great work. It's like slaughtered done right. Now we have to play it a few times to see how the flow of the map plays out.

15. communism

communism poof

screenshots ugly hoe

16. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

aww, I totally forgot to take screenshots when we were playing. commie....go take some screen shots for me!

17. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

slave labor FTW

18. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

i think it will take quite a while before any 'regular' choke points develop due to exposure to the map. this map will be fresh for quite a while imo.

this map is a blast add it to your servers ppls!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  19. spellman23

spellman23 Member

While that may be true, basic map theory and testing will allow you to recognize overwhelmingly popular chokepoints and take steps to alleviate them. IMO, great maps are replayable due to the different ways the battle lines could be drawn depending on how each team plays. And if you played sub-optimally by mistake with regards to your enemy's initial expansion, you still have a chance to come back in the mid game.

Very few Empires maps have this, making most fairly stale in terms of map control strategy. Partially it's the map size limitation, we can only squeeze so much complexity in and still leave room to drive tanks, but it's also due to clever map layout.

20. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

I like the heroes 3 music ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.