Map Spotlight: emp_money

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Trickster, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

emp_money Spotlight

So right, as detailed in another thread, these are my emp_money objectives so far:

Make it less cluster fucky.
    Keep it newb friendly for commanders.
    Seperate the infantry fighting areas and the tank fighting areas.
    Give the tank fighting areas space.

So, so far, I opened up the middle, got rid of the useless tower, although I might replace it with something else smaller and more useful. I'm extending the roofs and adding stairs/ladders to them, as well as cover blocks and stuff, and I'm covering them over so they don't get arty bombed. All of this will be tested in betas to make sure it works how I intend it:

For tanks to have their area, supported by infantry from above.
    For infantry to have their area, without fear of being arty raped.
    For arty to require tank support.
    For less building in the middle.
    For less ref clustering.
    For it to be a good map for new guys to learn about empires combat.

Minimap for reference:

[​IMG]

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

My suggestions:
    1. Less refs (two mid, one north and one south)
    2. Refs give more res (like x2 or x3)
    3. Mid ref that gives a lot of res (x4 or x5)

3. Trickster

Firstly, The middle ref is a problem, because it's supposed to be good for newbie commanders, if they think that not having the middle loses them the game, it puts added pressure on them which they don't need.

Secondly, that would mean (the less refs but worth more) losing a ref cost you a lot more. The refs will now be spread out along the base, but not so near to the wall they can get hit that easily.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2009
  4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Get rid of Artillery.

Period.

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

More make the refs invincible, or cover the top fot he base with an invisible wall.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

build able anti arty walls

refs are build at start

main base ref gives way more then side refs

more space at the build zones (lengthen it?)

more eyecandy

that are all the things i can think of at first

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

rebuild the new map from scratch,
    so theirs more space between the bases
    and more room to drive around.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you can just drag it out of each other

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

No room for tanks to use speed and maneuverability, no reason to capture and hold mid, cluster fuck of noobs placing walls and turrets. Tanks bumping into each other and blocking each other, no place for smooth infantry combat, laggy once all the walls and turrets and buildings are placed. You can just camp base with arty and shell the base(that's fun?!). And its ugly.

The water for easy CV suicide is the only good thing about it.

Using emp_blah would be taking a map that's fixes all those problems. And its been given up on by its maker. It's a win win imo.. Money is only liked by noob's because its simple.. But they don't see the flaws like us vets do.

10. Trickster

Ok.

Well Dubee, the intention for this is to make it better for noobs, but at least tolerable for vets.

So I've opened up the middle, aside from a small (smaller than the current tower) stronghold, it's virtually a tank zone now. Holding it will allow you to start hitting the enemy base, but unlike before, the enemy can hit you back, because there is roof access at both sides, so sure, you can hit them for a minute, but then your arty will have about 5 RPGs flying at it from both sides.

Walls won't be an issue anymore because you can simply take the infantry path and go above them. The infantry will have to support the tanks, and vice-versa.

Turrets...well the top of the roof will be commander restricted. As for the rest of the map, well I can't see it being as much as an issue because they simply won't hit as much, most of the tank fighting will be in the middle, and setting up turrets there wont be easy. That and they can be RPGed from the roof.

This map will have a big emphasis on Grenadiers and Tanks, as well as rifleman and engys supporting them. Even scouts might find a purpose, although I don't see that yet.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Trickster, Draw bridges with support rigging underneath with cap able spawns in the middle bottom. Have both bridges be separate completely, and have ladders up to the top supports and ammo boxes for the team that currently has the flag. A position like that would be a bitch to attack with tanks, and give infantry something to do, especially on a 60 man server.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

give it some time, if you are gonna allow lvl3's people are gonna find way to make your map crap with them

13. Trickster

I thought about that, pretty much exactly as you said, but I'm not sure how a long pathway would play out, I can imagine it being little more than a ninja path. That's why I'm adding roof access to all 4 roofs and trippling the size of each.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Trick would be to divide the underside into 4 main areas divided by 3 rooms. First room on either side would be a cap zone with ammo and health crate inside. Second room and middle room with cap zone and ladder up to the top like a maintanace access to the top area.

Other idea would be to turn the map into a cannal, and have each corner have a control room. Bonus points for making canal locks that open or water that raises or drains. Turn the center into a make shift Crane operation deck for removing cargo from ships as they pass through the canal.

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Add infantry only paths from one base to another. This could be done by small canopied bridges at left, right and middle.
    These small bridges should also have some cover, that a LVL3 can not defend it.

Remove ability to build walls. With armories tanks still can be blocked. But infantry will always be able to rush.

16. Empty

Empty Member

You can't fix money without changing it into something else.
    Take it off the default map rotation ( it already is, right? ) and make a new map, it's for testing stuff and that's all.

17. Trickster

Hmm, I'm partially against long infantry bridges, as it is difficult to provide cover on them, I can see it just being:

1 guy runs along, gets 3/4 of the way, gets shot, his attacker goes across, gets 3/4 of the way, gets shot.

That is why I think roof access (which is covered from arty) could be a better idea.

But, Metalsmith your idea could be good, but I don't 100% get it. Could you like sketch it out in MS paint or something?

18. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Dont think seperating infantry and tank fight would be good for money.

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Add jumps for intense movie explosion action

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

put something to block the arty from shelling bases from eachother and maybe middle too