Vess's BE Elite

Discussion in 'Art' started by Vessboy, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Someone said I only draw at High School level. In reply I say: "BULL ****"
    Witness the BE Elite. The guards to the Empress Her Self.
    [​IMG]

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Damn that's pretty clean. I like it. Kinda GI Joe-ish. Would be a dope skin for BE rifleman.

I dunno about that ugly ass gun tho.

3. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I like his pants.
    Why would he have a long ranged rifle if he guards the Queen? Wouldn't he have a submachinegun?

4. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Normally I wouldn't try to critique art, but I feel compelled to comment since you drew this to prove yourself. Not that I could draw any better, but it honestly looks like you cheaped out on this one.

Issues:
    1. Overuse of black. With a tolerance of 5, over 40% of the image is selected as black. With 15, that increases to over 70%.
    2. Face is covered to avoid drawing facial features
    3. Only adornments are grey metal rectangles and a shoulder strap
    4. Simplistic and inconsistent shading to the bare minimum required to convey a form
    5. The gun barrel creates a huge contrast with the rest of the weapon. Was it perhaps lifted from a different image entirely?
    6. The wires, despite looking nice, also look touched up in a contrasting way. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were taken from a 3D render.

The positives:
    1. Shading on the black does make for a nice textured wrinkle sort of look.
    2. Blue hexagons are cool.
    3. Concept in general is, as Dubee said, GI Joe-ish. I also like that style.

So in conclusion:
    1. It doesn't look bad.
    2. I believe that deliberate shortcuts were taken in the creation of this image.
    3. I highly suspect you could do better if you put in the effort.
    4. What exactly is high-school level? I've seen really good art come out of high school, and really bad art come out of people later in life. Could you please provide a marking rubric for your next image?

5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Is that your best?
    It's average and all the black on black would kill my eyes.

6. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

:)
    I could and will do better.
    You seem to forget, less then half a year ago I drew like this:
    [​IMG]

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

If it takes you a half a year to improve that much, you are in trouble.

8. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

It did, I'm glad to hear it.
    And to set things clear. The hidden face was part of the request, same with the experimental gauss rifle and ankle long defensive clothing.

Things I plan to do differently next time.
    -2 light sources!
    -drawing weapon separate to fully designed it rather then doing it on the spot.

What I draw next is still a mystery to me.(no requests here plz. use Private Message)

PS
    Its weird how often my positive attitude is mistaken for pride fullness. I'm mainly just confident in my abbility to get better.it makes challenges fun and failure endurable.

PPS.
    An earlyer version.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Make a person with color.
    That is your challenge. Make it look like it could fit in game.

10. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I like the first one a lot. It is very unique from head to feet and the rifle looks interesting too. I like it as whole.

You don't need to proove yourself to these suckers. This is internet and people will always say: "Oh there's sucky part, oh there's sucky part. I don't like it. I don't have to proove that I can draw better coz this tha inturwabs and coz I can find lame things in others works."

I like the first one. The second one isn't bad at all either but first one is my favorite because of those "trousers" he's wearing. :)

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

take an ingame screenshot, and draw a character in it as if it was part of the cene, take attention to use the correct lightning on it and make it blend in properly

:p

12. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

It looks like something you would encounter in the last stages of an Empires Single Player Campaign....

13. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

It dose dosent it.

Blizzard. Thats not really that helpfull. besides Right now my study focus is fabric matierials.

14. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it looks like his left foot (from the characters perspective, not mine) should be a tad bit further down.
    I'm no artist but that's the only thing that immidietly struck me as "wrong".

15. Dan (FangZandith)

Dan (FangZandith) Member

A concept artist can do exactly what he did. Yeah, he should probably change the way he uses his colors, but his shading is pretty decent. If you draw by hand instead of on computer, mix your colors with other colors instead of black and white if you want to change the way it looks.

Over all I liked everything but the rifle and the beret, I didn't like the steel lining across the top. If they're elite guards, give them a kick ass helmet and goggle get up that meshes really well with the face mask. Try giving them the BE carbine or rifle.

I really honestly liked the trench coat design, call me a fag haha.

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Dan said it.

You are excellent concept artist. You should start to look for a freetime or fulltime job from a mod team or some more serious team. I think people would be ready to pay to you a bit to get you draw them some concept art.

17. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Though I have to agree with Cyber-Kun about the black thing, yes it looks good... but... it's also easier to do, try something HARD!

18. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

HAHAHA!
    It's not art untill you have cheated.
    The old masters would draw outlines of there art and have there apprentices fill in the color. Cartoonists abstract the human form to make it simpler to draw repeatedly. Filmers will make minitures of buldings rather then destroy real ones. You show me a piece of art and I'll show you the corners they cut. My only fault was you guys noticed my shortcuts. And I'll do better at that next time. :)

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

be elite should (imo) look like the imperial sardukar from the dune series

also , if it is the strict elite palace guard (lol), then his suit should have gold ornaments or some high-tech look

what are those cables connected to the carbine anyways?