March Mode

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jimather, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Jimather

Jimather Member

I can't imagine how anyone can tell me they enjoy spending what feels like geological periods of time simply walking from A to B on empires.

Obviously there needs to be a bit of crapness to just walking for a number of reasons but the pain should be at least be slightly soothed.

I suggest a marching mode like prone etc where your walking speed becomes closer to running speed without the stamina bar decreasing, and if you do run the stamina bar decreases at half the normal rate.

Weapons would be hidden and it would take several seconds to move back to normal mode. You would make more sound than usual and crouching would take you back out of march mode. Perhaps it could be disabled by the mapper like wall building on infantry maps if people felt it could become an unfair advantage on certain maps. But both teams would permanently have it so like most things, as long as the skill levels of opposing teams were even, it would balance itself.

As for perhaps it being a researchable option it would remove a lot of the improvement its giving because it would definitely be a low priority option meaning it usually wouldn't get researched untill there were barracks and vehicles/vf at the front lines anyway, UNLESS it was wrapped up with some other infantry skills and the improvements which the commander could research as some sort of infantry training package moving its priority further up. I know you have the rpg upgrades etc but this would focus on different aspects of how an infantry solder could be made better if that makes sense.

But anyway thats a possible idea and just a plain march mode is what im really suggesting here so enough waffle.

Pros:

- Players spend less time being massively bored and people can get to the action quicker on huge maps.

Cons:

- Yet another thing for Mr. A Noob to learn
    - Could possibly increase the gap between lower and higher skilled teams.
    - coding.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Make sprint lower your weapon but make it work even when out of stamina. You still walk slower when out of stamina, but sprint works at normal speed, so if you sprint somewhere you can't move and fight as well until you rest a bit.

3. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Then why even care about stamina? Most of the time, you stop go prone and shoot, I doubt people have much luck walking around and shooting

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's because sprinting doesn't lower your weapon at the moment, if your only method of movement while being able to use your weapon is walking, walking will become important.

Stop, go prone and shoot is fine for some situations, but not for others, stamina would be important for fighting in close quarters.

5. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Maybe this is something, that can be linked to squads.
    The squadleader can activate the march mode and if at least one squad member is near, they will go into march mode.
    Turning from march mode into normal mode should take some seconds.
    This will give squads more importance and especially in the beginning the squads stick together and commander can more easy direct them to different locations.

PS: Maybe some military marches are playing while in march mode :-)

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Erm, i cant see a big diffrence here , shooting while sprinting is rather pointless in empires

As for the idea, i like it

7. zenarion

zenarion Member

This is not how marching works.
    Nobody ever marches when in a combat environment, and the enemy is close, as the situation is in ALL Empires maps.
    Marching is nowadays having a column of military vehicles travel from point A to B in set order, speed, and having a designated leader.
    The whole point of having APCs and Jeeps in Empires is so that Infantry can cross great distances in short time, without great firepower.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i like the ideas here, but it needs a little brain work her and there on some levels in my opinion :3

9. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

i agree with the problem but not the solution.

this will lead to many many an occasion when you'll be killed while running fast without being able to respond to the threat, but you'll still have to use the march mode in future so there's no way of stopping it from occouring again. killing enemy players using march mode as they stumble upon you isn't fun either.

teams need a bit of breathing space between clearing the enemy out of one area, with the enemy barracks, and the enemy attacking again. they need to be able to set up.

part of the problem is that most commanders don't ever ever pull players back from the front line before they are over-run in order to build a barracks a little bit further back, it just doesn't happen, and won't even if i explain that here and everyone here understands that it's the right thing to do.

I'm not saying that there isn't a problem, but I don't agree with the solution, yet.

10. Sirex

Sirex Member

Like Zenarion said, this is not how marching works. And it is a bad game mechanic. I rather support that you continue to sprint when out of stamina, but at a lower rate and with your gun unable to fire.

Sandbag: I have seen it sometimes, atleast i do it frekventually. Tell people to pull back if they are losing and build rax further back.

11. Jimather

Jimather Member

Of course marching is different in real life, a lot of things in the game are different to real life or it would be a rather shit game.

Vehicles will still have a rather large advantage because they will still be faster, bigger, with passenger slots and they tend to have a rather large gun attached.

You wouldnt get killed marching that often, where it would actually be useful is in big wide open spaces where you will have plenty of time to get back out of march mode when some tracers pop your way or you see a silhouette on the horizon.

If you get killed quicker than that then you would have been killed anyway march mode or not.

I dont see how killing someone in march mode is any different to killing a person in any other position or mode. If they blindly carry on marching whilst being shot at then thats their fault. If they are in some little corridor marching along and you kill them before they can get back out of march mode, then they shouldnt have been in that mode in that situation and people will soon learn this.

Maybe its not a perfect idea, but i personally cant see any other way to do it without unbalancing things or killing the benefit of the idea itself.

Moar suggestions.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make people move faster in group (6/5), ene more faster f they are the same squad (7/5)

could it work? debate ...

:3

13. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

This is the best idea in this thread.

14. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Should be easy to code, because there already squad powers when teammates are near.
    And I would restrict it only to squads. So squads will become more important.

15. spellman23

spellman23 Member

I think that's part of the point though. The core fix is to allow you to cross large, non-dangerous areas faster. If you're dumb enough to run into a firefight with your weapon down or the enemy is smart enough to have a behind the lines sniper, then you should die or you should be forced into cover until you can bring back up your weapon. Many other FPS games have you lower weapons while sprinting.

I also agree, though, that this isn't an optimal solution. Some mechanic of weapon lowering would be welcome, and this logically should be with a sprint. However, I'm unsure if this system is appropriate.

A stronger system might be to tie accuracy to stamina, or perhaps accuracy recovery to stamina. Running lowers it, bringing up your weapon restarts it very low, and if it was a short sprint your aim steadies quickly. If you're exhausted, it will take more time.

This still doesn't mitigate the run and drop to prone issue though, which some people seem to feel is a problem of its own.

16. Tuxu

Tuxu Member

true!
    [-filler-]

17. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Still, I don't see why you would need to walk at full speed even if there are enemies nearby. Plus your stamina recharges soon anyways

18. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

what about a passive speed boost for when no enemies are around?

19. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^no because that could be used to detect hidden enemies

20. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

it would be a gradual ramp up and down. detecting a change like that would be difficult, if not impossible, if you were looking for it, but in an empires game where people manage to miss text chat (e.g COMM UNDER ATTACK) i don't think it would be an issue.

alternatively, actually make jeeps good to play with. in empires.
    -take damage from small arms
    -players in jeep take only slightly reduced damage if bullets have to go through jeep first
    -takes damage from ramming tanks
    -low health; one well placed rocket, mortar or frag grenade should finish it off.
    -only 30 res base cost.