Rocketlauncher/mortar Roles defined

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Imagine a grenadier with his RPG dodgeing left and right firing his rockets at vehicles. When he noticed some entrenched enemies. He gets behind some cover himself and crouches. Then he clicks the alternate fire of the RPG launcher. This starts the grenadier taking his weapon off his shoulder and adjusting it correctly into a mortar. And by only using a small amount of the missles fuel for the initial launch he adds the rest to the explosive power of his weapon. Now he fires mortars while staying stationery where he was. To become mobile again he must simply hit the alternate fire once more.

This solution adds a cool factor while balencing the mortar and the rocket launcher. Making them both a single dynamic and enjoyable weapon. And by haveing them use the same amunition promoting players to decide how best to expell there resorces in each circumstance.
    Also add some blast radius to the RPG to give a little help against infantry.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. Satanchild666

Satanchild666 Banned

I had the smae idea lately. Increasing the ammo for the weapons and fusing both weapons in 1.

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Que flaming Trickster.

On-topic. It is a good idea, but this would need AGES to implement. This is more complicated than crouching to fire the mortar, and at one point there was a bug that removed that need to crouch.

4. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Funny, I thought the RPG and mortar used the same parts, arranged differently.

5. Demented

Demented Member

Forcing the player to stay still when firing the mortar has been suggested 50 different ways to Sunday.
    Meanwhile, making the mortar and rpg use the same ammo has only been suggested 5 different times.
    The only real difference from previous suggestions is that you'd now be unable to switch directly to the mortar from, say, the pistol, or likewise switch back as you'd now need to pack up the mortar before you can use it. Even this has probably been suggested before.

And yes Max, this basically is how the rpg/mortar already is: A single weapon used in two different ways.

And while you apparently haven't really explored the possibilities, there are numerous problems with using the mortar as a mortar, rather than as the grenade launcher it's used as right now, so you aren't really balancing the weapons so much as shoving them into unexplored territory.

6. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

@Demented: I KNEW IT! But shouldn't there be some sort of adjusting of the weapon for when you want to switch between the two? It could help combat the problem...

7. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

A missile looks a lot different than a mortar shell, I doubt its possible to redistribute fuel and turn a missile into a mortar

8. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

most rockets have 2 launches 1 small one to eject it from the tube, then a second larger one to take it's payload to the target. by adjusting the amout used for that initial burst you can use a RPG as a grenade launcher, or in this case a mortar.

9. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I have a reliable informant who says it would only take a few minutes. Granted the Idea needs support before it's considerd over any other

10. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

No, this sounds good. mortars should never be just flop out and fire away. We could have research and/or skills to decrese the setup/takedown time. Oh! Have the presence of squad memebrs lower the time. This is a very good idea.

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Do you think people will use it then?
    I dont.

12. Alud0s3

Alud0s3 Member

So this idea needs support?

As for me:
    Code:
    while(true)
         ++support;
    And i think players would use this if the splash damage is increased to compesate the reduced mobility. In fact would.

And i'm just annoyed by grenadiers hopping around insta-firing their mowta, although i'm one of them...

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I repeat myself,

a mortar with more splash radius and or damage would be enough
    to clear a whole chokepoint from infantry. Stationary or not.

14. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

yea exactly. Thats what is suposesd to do. Not hip fire while inching arround a corner. Use it where they holding not where they just showed up shooting at you. And my sudgested blast radius bonus was for the rpg not the mortar.

15. Alud0s3

Alud0s3 Member

When did u say that?

However i dont think so, as it is meant any roflman should be able to kill the
    mowta-slut before he has deployed his weapon of mass-destruction, and if he doesnt, he deserves to die.

And of course by splash damage i mean a radius of about 2-3 meters just to prevent the explosion from beeing blocked by small height diferences in displacemets, not make it an arty

16. Sirex

Sirex Member

I think turning it into a light artillery is much better. Anyway why have a direct firing mortar? That must be the retarded thing ever. Then you use recoilless rifle instead like the Swedish Carl Gustav and load it with high explosive rounds, like the US rangers do. Not bring a mortar to fire at ranges 20-200 meters, then you use recoilless rifle, or rifle grenades.

So either give the Grenadier alternative ammo high explosive rounds for the RPG or turn the Mortar to a proper light artillery that have set up time and a higher arc and can fire at longer ranges with a higher blast area and maybe barrage ability, like firing three fast rounds each click then a little longer reload?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  17. Sirex

Sirex Member

And what do you think artillery is meant for?

18. KILLX

KILLX Banned

At the cost of the mortar needing more time to deploy the next time, a player should be able to quickly switch to their sidearm without having to repack the mortar.

19. Riot

Riot Member

i dont like this idea at the moment simply becuase I feel the mortar is my best anti tank weapon i have as a gren. rockets just dont cut it, at any time in the game, until theyre upgraded to max which rarely happens anyway. Mortars in their current role are a nice versatile weapon which I think is still fairly balanced. Sure it's a one hit kill but that has to be fairly close to hit in one kill and if the gren misses then the long reload time means he's fairly well fucked.

Yeh the mortar in RL is supposed to be totally different from what we have in emp, but it works within the game. You can't keep tryin to make everything realistic in the game. You have to go with what balances it the best. If mortar gets nerfed now on top of everything else I'll fucking scream..........more.

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

a deployable mortar with more damage/radius is to powerfull
    a deployable mortar with same stats as it has now will not be used