The Bridge on Slaughtered.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Aquillion, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I searched, and I can't find a thread on it elsewhere. I was surprised.

So. It rarely seems to get used. Lots of people say "NEVER BUILD THE BRIDGE." But let's discuss it in more detail than that. Who do you think the bridge benefits more, if anyone? Under what circumstances should it be built / used to attack? Are there strategies that make it more useful?

One thing I will add: BE should always wall off the north exit from their original main spawn, as far forward as possible. When the bridge is up, that entrance becomes a glaring vulnerability, and it's not a path BE ever has any reason to use themselves (they can use the back paths if they want to get around, and should never have their main VF at their starting spawn.) I suspect that many of the reasons why people think the bridge is poison to BE are because they forget to wall that path -- if it isn't walled, it becomes very easy for NF tanks to rush the bridge, turn towards the original BE spawn, and avoid all defenses anywhere else. As long as that wall is up, though, BE tanks stationed in the main chokepoint corridor can rush to protect both exposed areas if they have to (though it's not necessarily a position you want to be in.)

All the other paths in the south have uses to BE. That particular path, though, is entirely a vulnerability and should be kept walled at all times. (Unless, I guess, NF has already taken BE's old base, in which case you can just recycle the walls.)

Looking at Slaughtered's layout, I get the sense that it was originally designed for the bridge to be the "main" attack route, with the corridor as the "back" way. But somewhere along the line they got reversed.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

In my oppinion the bridge should be no buildable object.
    That whole build/notbuild thing is just confusing and anoying.

But the whole map favors NF, BE needs approximately 50% more
    effort to be as defended as NF...

3. Empty

Empty Member

Not really, both sides in a pub match generally ignore the bridge. So BE only has to defend that really thin chokepoint.

Setting up ninemines on the bridge would be an epic strategy. But noone does it, even if it's up.

I would suggest building the bridge as NF, BEs walls can be deconned, and their turrets can be killed, don't let them get level threes there and you'll have an easy walk in the park to their old main and the southern tower.

4. bart

bart Member

right, that would be the best ... but the bridge is an epic tank trap too ... i dont want to miss the "doublerail-heavy offenses of epic failure" ...

waht? i see it nearly every game that some tanks fall into the water because the bridge "disappears"^^

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Build the bridge ONLY when you have tanks/apcs lined up ready to go across. Then destroy it immediately afterwards. Otherwise your just asking for the other team to overwhelm your bridge defenses.

6. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Well, I think destroying the bridge while 2-3 enemy medtanks are on it is a way better strategy.

7. Deiform

Deiform Member

Slaughtered is just a classic example of high ground > low ground. As soon as NF take the opening in the middle, which they will as long as their comm isn't a noob, then it's all over. NF can run across the bridge and have the high ground to take BE's middle bit and thier main, and they also have the high ground for the third BE base.

Tbh if the third BE base (the one on the far right of the map) was elevated, then it would be easier to defend and make the game last a bit longer. Otherwise BE have to be seriously on their toes to push forward without using the bridge.

8. o_O

o_O Member

exactly, when NF comes across the bridge they can go strait to that extra steep hill overlooking BE base and the tower overlooking the other BE base. NF can cause all kinds of trouble with a couple guys in the tower and they can throw up a barracks and walls on the other hill and own the place until BE can send some vehicles in at least.

When BE crosses the bridge they just get canyons and a tower that isn't really close to anything.

9. Empty

Empty Member

They also split the two NF mains.
    Meaning they can either coem up behind the NF beach base, or grab the usually unprotected refs.

10. Unit 1126 PLL

Unit 1126 PLL Member

Actually, I was recently in a match when an LT chased the BE com onto the bridge, and the whole team (read: anyone paying attention) 'sploded it.

Massive lulz to be had.

11. Empty

Empty Member

/facepalm

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

BE has it much harder to defend because of the 2 entrances to their base. 1 engineer and no one watching the ramp to their base can mean the end of the game if NF gets a barracks up and destroys BE barracks early game. you need all 3 res points to stay even with NF, and it's harder to take NF's res points than it is to take BE's res.

Due to BE's advantage in tanks late game, this makes it fairly even as far as maps go. It's hard to get more balanced than slaughtered, ironically enough.

13. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

I've learned nuke rushes for BE on slaughtered work.

No one ever goes NOT mid as BE on slaughtered, at the beginning rush. As for NF hill, its an advantage, but don't forget BE can easily defend that chokepoint, with turrets and grens. IMO never build the bridge unless its an advantage for you, having a few lvl 1's around, a wall defense, and a decent scout covering any targets at bridge is fine, maybe a defusal gren driving a tank drop a nine mine on your side of the bridge, in case some people decide to rush it. That forces NF to go thru the east chokepoint, and don't forget BE spawns and builds vehicles closer to it, as well as has the advantage of DU APC's.

Yeah but if BE doesn't cover bridge NF can take starting base easily, then attack mid from 2 sides, and so NF wins.

A very strategical map indeed

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Hmm. You know... I wonder if it would make sense for BE to just not build their tower? Sure, it can be powerful defense, but it's so rarely used... if you're not using it, it's more of a vulnerability than an asset.

15. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I don't like building the towers. Flag = class change = ninja bomber 9 mining all your buildings in middle, taking them out in one go.

it wouldn't be so bad if the building had larger flags showing who owned it.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I find slaughtered an incredibly confusing map in terms of strategy, nobody seems to have the same idea of how to play it and frankly I don't think it really matters, the decider seems always to be the skill of the players on each team, just as with any other map.

17. Empty

Empty Member

Can't cap the flag for free res if it's dead.

18. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

Res is indeed an issue on slaughtered, if you can scout hide ninja to their tower and cap it, the other team might not know that they lost a res point. Joy. One res node for you, one less for the other team. Who wants nuke heavies?

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

I am going to strangle whoever started the whole towers give res thing.

edit: for clarification they do not give any res

20. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I thought they didn't... I was going to ask about that.

Er, those two sentences don't go together. To me, if someone doesn't know how to play the specific map, they aren't really that great, even if they have teh 1337 tank-driv3r skillz.

And I like the comm's strategy to have a role, too... I do feel that (if you don't use the bridge) Slaughtered tends to involve a lot less options for comm strategy than other maps. At least other maps have some choices of where you want to send your troops. In Slaughtered, even with the bridge, you don't have many options. It's practically up there with Money in maps that are dull to comm on.