Help me with the trailer!

Discussion in 'General' started by Private Sandbag, Feb 2, 2008.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Dude, you proved my point exactly. Artistically significant, maybe. Exciting? Nope. Looks kind of boring. With trailers you can't overlook your target audience. We want to show balls-out Empires action. Any subtlety you try to put in is just gonna be yawned over by gamers.

2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Action is not empires, Scale is empires. If the players are drawn to action. Then almost every other mod has us beat. But in the scale of our fights we are unmatched. That is what you advetise. Not our nonexsistant 1337 fighting.

3. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

For some retarded reason when I play it, it plays as a sound file stupid thing :(

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

one thing i've been thinking of alot: cut emp_urbanchaos. it was featured at the beginning of the previous trailer and used to introduce the viewers to each class. to use it again, for more than a few seconds total, would add nothing new to empires trailers.

on that same note, to me, this trailer just feels like a rehash of the previous one. one thing that Broccoli did quite well with the old one was the transitions between maps at the beginning. it really gave an epic feel, that these are battlefields spanning a globe, and at the same time, it still showed alot of action without focusing on it. this trailer, it feels like a non-stop action fest, it doesnt do empires justice, it doesnt address the tactical aspects at all, save the commander, but thats so brief, that its more of a brief glimpse.

add little things to the trailer, like show both sides warring for the middle of duststorm, using the "requesting armor support" clip, and then backing out to show armor heading to the north, divert to middle. little touches like this do empires justice, by showing that its not just action, but tactics and strategy.

although this trailer is good, it just doesnt do the mod justice.

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

On problem with the canyon scene that might not be a big issue, is when the tanks are entering into battle. The spectator mode sees the tanks come in, then you switch to the commander mode, and then the tanks move in again. Just change around the timeline a bit there and it would really go together nicely.

6. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Thats pretty damn good.

7. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I didn't see the second trailer because the download speed was like 0,5KB/s...

Could you upload it for me again?

And I watched the third one. It is better than the first one. Now just add more lenght to it, more longer clips and make the order of the clips more reasonable or logical or something and also maybe the shorter clips could use a bit more length so the view can see that what is happening, understand where it is related to and why.

I think the Glygencity part in the start could be longer. Watch the NF running next to the snow bank from high above, then go in the first person view. Watch how NF reaches the stairs and goes up.

Then something a little bit more action packed and maybe a bit shorter but in good order.

It had improved nicely from the first version but I would like to see the 2nd version too because it may have something which I would like.

Oh yeah and the music was so far THE BEST music which I have heard in the Empires trailers even though it could use a bit more improvement. More something like hard rock genre or something. :p But if you can't find anything which would fit better, use that kind of.

Edit: And Vessboy, that really is good trailer, even it is low quality and it could use some sound effects from the game too. Also the music was bit... meh... but it was really a good trailer.

Private Sandbag, you should aim to something like that. =)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you sure you guys are all talking about the most recent version i've made? the 45 second one? the thing you're talking about KT is cut from the most recent footage

I can't do any slow motion footage because none of the footage is rendered at

I can pump the size of the trailer up to full screen, i've just been making smaller versions because it's a draft and nobody cares about the size in a draft

I found the empires logo, thanks.

It's the action that's going to draw people to empires. the action that is shown in the scale. I'm not sure what you guys are after beyond that, something thats "not exciting" instead?

I don't want to make the trailer any longer than it needs to be either. I think players would rather see 45 seconds on non stop epic mayhem.

edit
    @weedy: it seemed that people didn't want the clips in logical order, and after seeing the new version I kinda agree, it only made it less interesting]

perhaps vess should be making the trailer because he seems a lot better at it than me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  9. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Really I can sum up all my advice into one word: Timing.

No matter what you do action or statigy, rock or clasical, Timming will make it epic.

10. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I agree with Vess on timing, see my earlier examples. And Sandy I agree you don't need a logical order, you can skip about all over the place, but I think the clip needs a solid. beginning, middle and end, usually tied to the music. I don't mean you have to tell a story, but it needs to intro, build up and then finale. A monotone clip gets boring, even if it's none stop action.

11. Mr. Weedy

At least I talked about the 45 one because, as I told you, I missed the second one.

The latest which I have watched was EmpiresDraft3.avi.

12. petemyster

petemyster Member

am i the only one who prefered the 2nd draft? 0.o
    Also i reckon cut out some of the 1st person views, cause the bad FPS would go "<sigh> good old 1.0 memories" and not bother getting it. Only use the ones that are good.

13. Mr. Weedy

I'll repeat myself.

I didn't feel like downloading it at 0,5KB/s so I didn't get it and that's why I would like to have it now.

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

http://www.mediafire.com/?otx2emlj5rc

this one is final, unless there are any minor alterations you or I think I should make. An 'epic' I might make another day, with different/better footage so I can slowmo it and such, more comm views, research, base building, etc etc etc included. this one is action, which i'm sure is what the gamer market is after most of the time. You didn't buy eve online for the spreadsheets did you?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  15. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

OMG its TEN MILLION TIMES BETTER than I ever thought it would be
    possible. No joke empires looks 3 times better in this trailer than the
    grafic is ingame (fast cuts?).

Cangratulation it seems that you are talented doing stuff like that.

Btw, now i know why theres plasma. It looks nice in trailers ^^

16. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Fucking awesome Sandy! Get it on Youtube so I can embed it everywhere :D

17. petemyster

petemyster Member

very well done. I give it the offical petemyster stamp of approval :D
    But now the only clips of my are in the comm view (or maybe i should stop being so selfish......BUT I WANTZ TEH BE ON TEH INTERNETZ)

18. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Fixed.

The trailer is cool, but I think even for an action trailer it's too short.

19. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

fixed.

20. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

What? The gaming geek can't have too much data.