Tickets change

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Sure, but you know, it's not like we got every mapper on a phonebook.

Also I can't come up with any logical reason for any comm map to have > 400 tickets, except for giving it more possibilities to last for 2+ hours.

While I am trying to reduce the occurrence of those ridiculously long games through scripts, I'd like to receive help from mappers.(not specifically from original mapper)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

THIS IS ONLY MEANT FOR CLASSIC MODE EMPIRES

add a "killspawn" mechanic which has a "cast time" of X seconds and is interrupted if you move or fire any weapon (treat calc as weapon). ducking and going prone should be allowed. (id suggest X = 7s as a starting point). call it "teleport back to base" (and probably come up with a better, shorter name, im not good at names either).
    remove tickets but increase respawn time by Y seconds per Z respawns (actual respawns) individually per player to not be overly punishing. (id suggest Y = 3/ Z = 3 as starting point)

this would allow for "killspawning" which is kinda nessesary in empires while not punish players for it. it also creates a slippery slope and allows a team to eventually end the game.
    its completely independent on the map, its also individual and only punishes those who currently burn through tickets like there would be no tomorrow. it also gives an incentive to actually wait for revives and not just spawn in the apc right around the corner of the battle.

THIS IS ONLY MEANT FOR CLASSIC MODE EMPIRES

(sry i had to point that out twice because i can already read the "but district" comments)

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

this, but 'cast time' is respawn time and you dont need to wait to respawn.

4. flasche

then you can just deny kills with "scroll to town portal" without losing tickets (you would have lost anyway). maybe split the respawn time in half, but it definately has to have a mechanic with counters kill denial efficiently. it definately shouldnt take longer than "base respawn time".

also, because i forgot, taking damage should break "channeling" aswell.

edit:
    i just realize, did i read it wrong? did you mean that channeling time should be the whole respawn time? i aswell might have been imprecise.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i mean like casting it is the respawn times length, and there is no respawn time afterwards, if damaged it aborts or just plain becomes unavailable.

6. flasche

ok, were on the same page then. i was just thinking a shorter channeling time so you have time to pick the rax to be teleported to - but then, you could do that while channeling aswell, sure.

edit:
    would "rebase" be a good name? just came to mind.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

That cast time needs to be >= spawn time and it needs to have a long cooldown, so you don't just teleport everywhere.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

There are far more elegant solutions, like letting the commander set the killspawn barracks location, or simply not giving a fuck about the long cooldown since why do you insist on being a little dictator?

If it becomes a problem you can handle it when it does, this is never game breaking.

9. flasche

maybe. if all of that is exposed as cvar (or to scripts) its easily changeable. i think its hard to tell good values without prolonged testing. a cooldown might definately become neccessary, but it has to show how players exploit this mechanic (exploit in the neutral meaning)

i also wonder if teleporting a lot is a bad thing afterall. ultimatively players want to see action and not run around. it only turns into a problem when the response time doesnt allow to remove rax anymore. also from a strategic perspective free roaming players isnt the worst thing, you might notice someone trying to sneak somewhere, and we all know how an unexpected engi in a good spot can cause a lot of trouble, so there still is reason to not just jump from spawn to spawn.

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

"Handle it when it becomes a problem", wow, I should totally follow this lazy ass developer attitude, instead of trying to suppress issues beforehand.

You know, it makes the job ridiculously easy, in fact, everyone will be a nice scripter.
    I just type in a fun number for my new 3-slot HEMG and I'll handle it if it becomes a problem, right?

Up yours, why do you insist on controlling my attitude/response like a big dictator?

In Empires we don't have that much resources to make it look "nice"(say, fancy effect/equipment to make it look like a technological teleportation, not League of Legends : Empiresmod).

Also I can already foreseen how I'd be able to exploit that personally if it doesn't have a cooldown.

Like I don't even know why I am opposing this, I can just wait for it to happen and literally rekt everyone for months until it's patched.

11. flasche

thus why you expose it to cvars (or scripts) so it can be tweaked in seconds and we dont have to wait for a full release cycle ...

... but ofc there is no good argument against "i dont want to", just dont make up excuses, no one said "i expect it to be done yesterday".

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Implying this feature doesn't cost dozens of programmer's hours.

Nothing hurts more than accusation like this when I was actually goddamn serious.
    "Flasche used over-assumption against Security's interest, it's super effective!"

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Thats not lazy, that's efficient, if its not a problem and you can fix it later, leave it... you are more likely to cause 2 more problems by trying to prevent tomorrows problem. Thats what experience in programming will teach ya.

If its not a clear issue at first why not try it?

"its against free speech to call out people trying to censor others"
    that's the level you are arguing on atm... the fact that you flip your shit instead of come up with reasonable arguments as to why people teleporting around is a bad idea and not worth experimenting with then say it, otherwise im not convinced.

Exactly, we dont have hours and hours of programmers to spare to make intricate systems and try to catch every exploit before it happens, so let those exploits happen and worry about them when they do. If people really teleport around too much we can start experimenting with longer respawn timers for teleporters.

How? actually contribute to the discussion... you were so close stating you know a way but then you dont fucking post it. If you had brought up a good point i woudnt have to make this thread wreaking you a new asshole about your little hissyfit.

boo fucking hoo watch me sit in a puddle and splash all around throwing my hissy fit over literally nothing... like honestly... what is this about? me calling your attitude a "little dictator" ? did i hit a nerve? You know what little dictators do when they dont get what they want or are questioned?

They throw a fit, like you are doing now...

14. flasche

i did not imply this, where do you read this implication? i am well aware that it takes its time. and it wasnt what i replied to either. first you went on about how it needs a cooldown - well i think i kinda agreed with that, although i wonder if it would be as excessive as you think and wheter or not its a bad thing. your next counter argument was "we have no artist", now its "we have no programmer time". excuse me if to me it looks like you are making up excuses because you dont like it and rather have your 350 tickets installed (which if its a non-map based setting is work aswell and tbh i dont see how its soooo much less work, its not like youd need some elaborated database, you can just keep the data in ram since its on a per map basis and does not need to be persistent). you know what, i did not lose a single bad word about it and i think its a somewhat decent impromptu fix (assuming i wouldnt think tickets aint counterproductive in general), even tho it scales badly between the 8 active players during the day compaired to the maybe 40 active players on weekends.

also im deeply sorry if blizzerd mocks you since a couple of posts, but i have no say in what he writes, so ffs dont mix us up.

edit:
    also, if its up to you in any shape or form, you can simply say "no, i dont like it" and im fine and done with it (again as its not the first time i bring this up)

15. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Have you considered that those arguments are ALL true?

No thanks, I am probably better at coding than you IRL.

It is lazy, it takes literally 10 seconds for anyone who has "even just a tiny little bit" knowledge of the game to know that teleporting around with no cooldown and < 10 secs charge time is a big ass issue generator.

I can exploit that fairly easy because I am kinda pretty fucking good at the game, you probably can't imagine what "map awareness" and "easy teleportation" can do for me.

I'll just give you one issue, this one literally took me 3 seconds to come up with.
    This is basically telling anyone who's attempting to take down an undefended rax to fuck off because enemies can show up within 10 secs, kill you, teleport to another rax with no ticket used.

Want more examples? Sorry you aren't worthy of my time.
    I am just telling you there are obvious issues, Mr. I-don't-even-play-the-game-anymore.

16. flasche

i have not only considered it, i think i am well aware that you are limited on resources. i was just under the impressions we throw ideas around and this topic was fitting to bring this idea up again.
    also tbh the more you make me think about it, the less work it appears to me (its still some couple of hours of work, i dont mean to downplay it and say its no work at all)

17. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Also keep in mind, my 350 ticket hard-limit is not the one and only solution to this whole issue.

It's just the absolute simplest solution, and it doesn't even require any programmer's work.

18. flasche

it only takes going over each and every comm map and entspy edit it - its probably a hundred times faster to expose the variable the game pulls from info_params to a cvar.
    i have no clue about source, but i imagine this is something someone familiar with the engine can do in a few minutes (tho i also know that stuff which is supposed to only take a few minutes often ends up taking hours and hours ;) )

[​IMG]
    title="'What was the original problem you were trying to fix?' 'Well, I noticed one of the tools I was using had an inefficiency that was wasting my time.'"

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

But il do it quicker, with less bugs and easier to expand on later.

have i told you about the size of my e-peen though...

lets try that out, lets see if that actually happens. but still a fair point, sad it took you like a bazillion posts of throwing a hissy fit until you finally gave a reason as to why its important.

I still think its nonsense though, all you are doing is prematurely overcomplexifying something and limiting something that might be a good feature.

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I am sorry, I didn't know that I have to explain simple things as "people would killspawn to kill someone that's trying to take down the rax" and few other issues that would happen.

Go ahead, no one's stopping you from applying for the job.

You seem to misunderstood, I got nothing against "teleportation" itself, but it shouldn't be a faster, better killspawn that ALSO costs no ticket.

Its only advantage over killspawn should be "it costs no ticket".

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016