Playing singleplayer on a commander map

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by GregariousJB, Mar 21, 2016.

1. GregariousJB

GregariousJB Member Staff Member Web Developer

I thought I had this figured out by creating an info_player_start, which allowed me to spawn in as a player on emp_coast to run around on my own map (after using 'map emp_coast' in console), but apparently that wasn't it. Now after I wait the 60 seconds for the round to start, I click after seeing "Click to respawn...", and the map just reloads and starts over again.

How does one load and join a map after compiling it in hammer to test it?

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you need at least one of each of the following entities inside the map bounds

emp_info_params (contains settings such as start-resources and tickets)
    emp_info_mapoverview (where the initial camera position is, you can have multiple of those)

and either
    barracks (emp_nf_barracks/emp_imp_barracks)
    or
    spawnpoint (emp_player_nf/emp_player_imp - also make sure they are enabled)
    for each team

command vehicle(s) are no requirement, neither is having two of them.

also you will need a <mapname>.txt file in your <empiresdir>\resource\maps folder. it describes the minimap. you can just copy one and rename it (also edit the contents to fit the filename; duststorm is almost full grid size, so i suggest take duststorm).

edit:
    its out of my head, the entity names might not be a 100% accurate, but you should be able to find them just fine.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  3. GregariousJB

GregariousJB Member Staff Member Web Developer

Weird. After a bit more troubleshooting (with none of your suggestions working), I found that I simply had to restart Empires to get me to be able to spawn into the map. The map already has everything you listed but it still restarted when I tried to join. It was in some sort of strange mode that I haven't seen before - it asked me if I wanted to Save the map before quitting. I dunno.

Thank you for the help, though. I'm sure your post will help someone in the future.