Tickets - can it be a multiple of the number of players?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by JustGoFly, Apr 27, 2015.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

The proposal includes spec in the formula and makes the game longer (more tickets) counting those players in spec. I think to keep it simple total number of connected players should be counted and remove the dynamic original proposal. I don't like ticket bleeds since that can be exploited and becomes a defensive game, rather than what I think empires is - offensive team should have the advantage.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its not uncommon have equal numbers of specs and players especially when numbers are low in general.

in online multiplayer enviroments where death isnt real offense IS the best defense - you gain absolutely nothing by digging in and sitting out an offense.

actually all tickets do is enabling purely defensive teams to win - as hard and unrealistic it might be. without tickets offense is the ONLY way to victory.

i just realized that, ill first have to digest it before i can voice my opinion concerning this matter. even though im with you - offensive teams should in general win - this might actually change my perspective.

but this aside, i still think they aint needed - you win by killing the cv, thats nice and easy.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Why? Grinding through your enemy is maybe an archaic, but a legitimate strategy.

4. flasche

if you see grinding through your enemy as defensive play you have a strange understanding of the word defensive :D

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Grinding through the reserves, supplies, whatever else, not literally under the threads.

6. flasche

yeh i said ive never seen it from this perspective. but as i also said before - or in another thread, i start to lose track - tickets only turn into a strategy once they reach a certain, in comparison to their total, rather low threshold. thats just something that happens because of them and everything following a team realizing how low they are just sucks.

i mean if conserving tickets would be some form of strategy, like - i know its not directly compairable, but valid here - it is on district where everyone agrees on waiting for revives and everything actually revolves around this, yeah, totally, keep tickets, find some mode to make them balanced. but in classic mode its about killing the commander, tickets just are some arbitrary line that turn the game from intense combat to meh.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  7. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

On some maps tickets are watched, like district, and that doesn't remove the fun from the map. It's a known part of the gameplay and has only a slight advantage if used when enemy tickets hit 0 and you still have tickets. The only advantage is if you have, for example, 30 tickets more than the enemy it leaves you 21 seconds to rush and not care about the consequence of dying during the rush. The enemy kill won't enable a respawn. That is part of the tactics of that map.

But on other maps tickets are intended to keep the game from going hours long. Unfortunately on those maps when 40+ players are online you hardly reach heavies before you're out of tickets. 250 tickets can go very quickly with 40+ players. That scenario is what I think we need to fix. Those maps are intended to allow intense tank battles, and eventually over running the enemy base for the win. When you run out of tickets early, those maps are not fun.

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

JGF. Currently there is a player based multiplier for resource income. Let's say for over 15 players resource income is multiplied by 1.5 for example.

Would the same thing for tickets do the job? I.e. If variable x (say >25) players connected then multiply base map tickets by variable y (say 1.5).

Seems to me that this solves most cases with the simplest implementation.

9. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

WS - Seems like an improvement for sure. Anything that keeps the game from ending quickly is better.

Much thanks for the consideration!