$222 GTX 760 [Amazon][NoRebate][FreeShipping]

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Jul 5, 2013.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I've considered getting a new graphics card as of late, but then I realized that I don't play enough games other than Empires to warrant one.

3. ImSpartacus

Me too. I won Hitman Absolution, Dead Island GOTY and Civilization V on Steamgifts and I just haven't given enough shits to play them instead of Empires.

Honestly, I'll probably never buy another desktop ever. I've successfully decoupled myself from the expensive games that my HS friends play (and my HS friends entirely...). I see little reason to go back.

Unless I get one of these...

[​IMG]

Alienware? Lololololololol. Why aren't I surprised that it costs less?

[​IMG]

I currently use a 13.3" 2009 Macbook Pro. I've been considering moving further down to a 12.5" or 11.6" HiDPI machine like the Chromebook Pixel, but the 14" Blade is strangely tempting in a way that the 15" Retina Macbook Pro somehow isn't.

I think it's the 14" chassis. I want portability (because it's a fucking laptop), but it puts a 35W quad core and a 65W discrete GPU (the rMBP15 has a ~45W GPU and a 45W CPU) into a respectably slim black chassis. Heat is an issue, but I suspect future tech will fix that. The screen is also shit, but I suspect that will get replaced with a HiDPI screen soon. I hope it'll be 1440p and not 1800p. I want to drop down to 720p for gaming and still get perfect pixel doubling.

And it's got green USB ports! The snake thing is ugly, but I thought Apple's apple was also ugly when I got my current laptop. It grew on me, so I gsuspect I could live with the snake.

4. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

My high school friends, oddly enough, didn't actually play that many video games now that I think about it. And all my college friends play either console games or play indie games. Project Eternity and the new Planescape game are the only real expensive games that I'm looking forward to.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Fairly sure that's the Razer Blade. Not Alienware.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yep, i came to the same conclusion after desktop Haswell wasn't what i expected. I just don't feel much desire to upgrade my desktop machine, it is big and heavy and there are no high DPI monitors there anyways.

A good and light laptop on the other side...
    I'm tempted to get one of these Vaio Pros:
    [​IMG]

13,3 inch Full HD IPS display, Haswell and a weight of 940 FUCKING GRAMMS.

7. ImSpartacus

The chunky one under it is the Alienware.

They are often compared because they have basically identical specs in chassis with identical screen sizes.

The difference is the Alienware is cheaper, chunkier and has really horrible battery life.

That reminds me. The Blade has a 70Whr battery and its got Ultrabook-beating battery numbers.

[​IMG]

For me, weight isn't a biggie. My MBP13 is 5lbs. I can live with a little extra chub.

And that 1080p 13.3" display is kinda meh because it uses 960x540 for pixel doubling for gaming. That's why I want a 1440p display.

I admit that I'm pretty biased against Sony PCs, but I can't deny that the Vaio Pro's PCIe SSD is rather impressive. If it's m.2, then it may be worth pursuing.

But that CPU kills it for me. I gotta have dat GPU performance. Perhaps GT3 in a 15W CPU doesn't do much, but I'm not even thinking about pulling the trigger until I can be sure of that.

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

True, i too would rather have the HD 5000 in there, but i don't think we will see an ultrabook with that anytime soon, even Samsungs' Ativ Book 9 Plus will only have the HD 4400. But why do you want pixel doubling for gaming? That's completely overkill. I can understand that people want it for Coding, Office or Internet Browsing, put in games you won't notice non integer scaling.

9. ImSpartacus

You don't think you'd notice non-integer scaling on games?

Honestly, I admit that I've never really looked into the idea with too much scrutiny. It just seemed like a good idea.