Post your current battlestations.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Space_Oddity, Feb 21, 2012.

1. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

and i thought my desk was cramped.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Is dat sum intellimouse 1.1 I see? Or just the WMO without the side buttons.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Indeed it is an IntelliMouse! Its great

4. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

3 most excellent ales.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I had a sweet intelimouse... until it started doing some double-click shit when I only click once... THAT pissed me off soo much. Try to drag something... double click. Click a check box... its checked then unchecked. For the record I had it for 2 years so it probably just wore out.

6. Trickster

I had my Razer Salmosa for 4 before it kicked it. And I've heard of people using Intellimice for like 10 years and still going.

7. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I always happen to randomly hit those extra buttons when I move the old intellimouse 1.1 . Also they seem to become beige after some years and the top buttons wear out.

I like this one for its good response, but it does not work with all kinds of hardware (old thinclients) and is less suitable for dirty environments

[​IMG]

This is my mouse at home
    [​IMG]

8. ViroMan

wireless gives you cancer! (says the guy who keeps a large cellphone in is inner jacket pocket next to his heart.)

9. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

same cancer you get from leaving your computer open while it's running :headshot:

10. Space_Oddity

[​IMG]

I refuse to let my overworn Logitech G5 die.

11. Trickster

Buy some teflon mouseskates and just glue them on. Also, to replace my salmosa, I just went to the cm storm spawn:

[​IMG]

Took me 10 hours+ of research over a week to choose a mouse to my spec, but I've been rewarded with this wonderful mouse. I use a claw grip, so the mouse is small. It fits my hand perfectly, it's OPTICAL, which is vastly superior to laser, so I can use it on a softpad. It has side buttons, sensitivity changer.

It's just wonderful. And only cost me like £30, which is nothing when you consider some top end mice are like £80+.

12. ViroMan

13. Trickster

Optical mice will work on both soft and hard surfaces, laser only works on hard. Optical mice have no issues on black surfaces, given I've been using a black one across 3 different mice (including a cheap one) for like 5 years. Insane super high DPI is pointless, no-one ever takes advantage of it. And then there's issues with acceleration and prediction which they build into high-end laser mice, that no serious gamer would ever want.

Also, from that wiki:

"Laser mice typically operate at 2000 DPI while Optical mice generally operate at 400-800 DPI.
    Normal mouse function can be achieved even with the low-end of the DPI spectrum (400 DPI). Only pro gamers or computer artists will be able to benefit from the extreme sensitivities provided by laser mouse tracking."

So much BS there it's unreal. My optical mosue right here is 3500 DPI, which is more than I need. And "pro gamers" pretty much exclusively use super LOW sensitivity, with many top-end Quake players using the old MS Intellimouse 1.1, which had 400 DPI.

In short, article is fucking terrible, and wrong on so many levels. Laser mice are a terrible gimmick.

14. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

I've had my Razer Diamondback since they first came out in like...2004? The left click is pretty worn out but it's still working fine.

15. Space_Oddity

Nah, the duct tape works just as well on the mousemat I have here and the laminated desk at home in London.

16. Space_Oddity

Just took the keys off my keyboard an-BLAGARGHARGHARGHARGH

[​IMG]

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

thats nothing

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You can have 3k+ DPI and change sensitivity in the game (it usually is a 32 bit floating-point multiplier, there's enough precision) to achieve low sensitivity.

19. Trickster

Yeah but you ideally want 1/1 scaling, which is why using DPI is best, although every game will have a different 1/1 point. In windows, it's setting 6 out of 11.

20. ViroMan

Stop fucking eating at the computer... or do you have a serious skin condition?

[​IMG]