world peace achievable by reducing want

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OuNin, Feb 4, 2012.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

what good if made infinite and universally accessible could bring about world peace

i think it's pizza
    have a piece
    have some peace

deep shit

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if youd satiate the world it would change a lot actually. but if all humans have free access to food, previously so much more went right for once already that it wont be limited to pizza ;)

i wonder how much of our demands in nutrients pizza satisfies. if you consider all the variants, it might be possible to live on a pizza diet. so maybe pizza really is the key to world peace? :o

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. OuNin

OuNin Member

sweet ambrosia

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

sweetly clogged arteries.

5. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

You are clogging your arteries if you are eating Brooklyn-style pizza. Nicely-cooked Chicago Deep Dish or Mediterranean-style pizza can be quite healthy.

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

1. Get tubing
    2. Spray inside of tubing with NeverWet
    3. Replace arteries with tubing
    4. ?????
    5. PIZZA FOREVER

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If you had an infinite source of anything the world would change to work around it, if you had an infinite pizza hole then you would end up with pizza power stations, pizza fuelled cars, pizza based construction materials, pizza based everything, because pizza would be the most common material on the planet.

8. flasche

im getting hungry ...

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Heh, I don't like pizza, or rather, I can't eat it without feeling very very sick.

10. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

/thread :D

11. ViroMan

<THE TRUTH>
    This is false. You assume that who ever is in ownership of this infinite source of <insert resource>will share with everyone. That just simply isn't in human nature. Who ever owns it, will not own it after word of its discovery is passed around enough. It will belong to what ever semblance of government is in effect in that area. Once the government owns it, its use will be restricted to government only.
    </THE TRUTH>
    <My Opinion>
    This may cause strife with local citizens of the current government. Not to mention strife with other governments who want a piece of this infinite source. For surly if it is infinite then sharing it will not hurt. Government being what government is... will of course say "F U, its ours, take a hike". Strife ensues...</My Opinion>

12. flasche

thats against the premise that it would be "universally accessible".

13. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

time cube dot gov

14. ViroMan

It can't be universally accessible if there is only one of them as was stated by using the word 'an' which is singular. It must be in a location therefore it can and will be controlled. That is of course if the location doesn't imply something that surrounds the world like the atmosphere or some place in space.

15. flasche

then criss already made wrong assumptions when he was making me hungry ...

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

during the superbowl i saw madonna achieve world peace without pizza

or maybe it was just a shoutout to ron artest

17. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

what if it's a floating pizza hole that cant be harnessed?

I saw madonna lip synch near-thirty year old songs and lookin like she was gonna pass out... saddest half time show ever.... seriously madonna's greatest hits? it's seems like the ppl who choose the act had absolutely no options.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Erm, why?

If you have an infinite source of power, why would you not use it? Saying it's for 'governmental use only' is kinda dumb because no sane government would not use that kind of power.

I mean, yes, it wouldn't be able to supply the entire world, because there is a limit to how quickly you could transport the power, a limit to how centralised you can be, but you would certainly end up with a centralised mega-city/state based on the infinite power source, which would only get bigger the better the transport technology got.

Once people started building transatlantic pizza pipelines then it becomes a lot less centralised.

19. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

See Chris, you're making the most basic assumption made by social scientists: That people are rational and that they will act in whatever way will benefit themselves most by analyzing all the information they have and using it to the best of their abilities. Now this is pretty sensible, it makes perfect sense. People will do whatever they think will benefit themselves most.

The problem that arises in all social sciences is that people don't actually know what will benefit themselves most of the time, or they do know but little human things like feelings and emotions get in the way. People are far more likely to act on emotion rather than logic, as history will tell time and time again.

20. flasche

i assume you mean sociology - not social sciences. you wouldnt say natural sciences if you actually mean chemistry either.
    this brings me to the point that you probably dont have much of a clue about them and shouldnt accuse them of such things bc they DO consider what you claim that they dont ...

... its actually quite a while since sociology has realized that the scientific method of physics doesnt apply on intersubjective phenomenons.