Valve's E3 presentation predictions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheLiberalElitist, May 7, 2011.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

For a change, I actually agree with aaaaaa50. Empires has enormous potential, even on source. We've got a small (larger than we had), sustainable playerbase, without any PR at all. ModDB hasn't even been updated. I guess we're all just hoping for an opportunity for development to step up a notch, and really get some progress done. The orangebox move took years to "get over" in terms of fixing issues, but apart from a small few, we really have whittled them down. For any people who played 2.2, or even worse, the beta testing before that, they can vouch for how far the game has come, from where it was.

The issue is, and always will be, that we have here a game that has been coded for a long time, and as such, a lot of stuff has been done by a lot of different people. I know a lot of people think starting over on a new engine would be the better option, but to get as far as we are now, or as far as we even were 3 years ago, from the original Empires on BF1942, was a massive undertaking, and it would require incredible commitment to do that again. On the other hand, code like the GUI is incredibly difficult to work with, so it HAS to be redone at some point, but it's such a monumental undertaking that it's difficult for anyone to commit the amount of time needed for it.

But honestly, how many other games are played by the same people for this long? The list is limited to games such as CS:S, CS 1.6, BF2, which are all commercial games. I don't know how long Empires will keep going, but I think

2. communism

communism poof

u think wat?

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

empires died at the end of that post

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Valve found out how empires still has players, so they went and abducted trickster and before they cool pull him out of his computer chair trickster pressed "submit reply" before they could lock him in storage room, to program fps/rts hybrids for eternity.

May tricksters soul rest in peace.

5. Trickster

I wrote some more after it, but decided it sucked a bit, so I went back to change it and then got distracted. So I just posted it, forgetting I hadn't finished. Tbh, I can't remember where I was going with it now.

6. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

And now we may never now:(

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

a least you think :D

8. [KM] The Corpse

[KM] The Corpse Member

Sourcemods for Mac.

9. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Probably inclusion of portal 2 map tools and an update to the SDK so modders can use new entities like the gels.

10. Trickster

Repulsion gel in Empires.

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Gel armour, everything bounces off it, only destroyable with infantry meeling the gel off and then shooting it with sniper bullets.

12. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

saw a valve dev at a convention here and he let my friend playtest some portal 2 DLC, needless to say it was disappointing

13. Zeke

Zeke Banned

portal 2 levels were too easy.
    the maps were made with too much care regarding casuals.
    i wish they were more along the lines of portal prelude...

nerf now made a good little comment regarding portal 2...

[​IMG]

"In the original: you were thrown into a room, with the goal to leave one way or another, using your portal gun to shazzam your way to victory.

The sequel does more of the same, and adds new pieces to the puzzle, such as the very fun accelerating gel.

However, the white panels where you are able to put your portals are few and far between.

The result is that now most of the puzzles are solved by choosing which one of the 4 or 5 panels available will get which end of the portal gun. Probably only one of them even, as the other is usually occupied on a light bridge / gel faucet / gravity beam.

The biggest challenge for me in the end was typically finding the panel in question. Some are cleverly hidden but it's more often than not, it's a matter of perception rather than logical thinking. Plenty of times I didn't know what to do, so I just ended up just scanning around for lonely panels and based on their location, I found what I needed to do."

it was more fun when ya had to experiment and stuff :(
    although the comedy and graphics in portal 2 along with the gel makes up for its lesser good levels.
    but.... i doubt i'll buy any dlc.. i was kinda dissapointed by the co-op after finishing the game.

Last edited: May 10, 2011