Altered BE Assault Rifle

Discussion in 'Art' started by f1r3w4rr10r, Jan 20, 2011.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

So i started to work on the second suggestion, the BE Assault Rifle irons:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tell me what you think

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

[​IMG]

Fore-sight is a circle with the line in the middle.
    Rear-sight is a semi circle which the front one has to sit in.

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

that'd actually fit the NFAR better which could use new IS aswell imo ...

5. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

so in other words you want a completly new one instead of just lowering the sides?
    same for heavy rifle too?

and it just came to my mind: how a bout removing that underbarrel grenade launcher
    it isnt beeing used anyway
    atleast on the sniper rifle

i cant open that maya files with 3ds max
    i got no importer

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

i searched for one
    but there is none
    atleast none that can directly import maya files inot 3ds max
    i need a .obj or .fbx exported from maya

and besides im not doing it in a "half-assed" way
    i did exactly what was suggested (it was the only suggestion at that point)
    it was a simple, fast and working solution
    and i never said you have to take it right away

and you really should stop treating people who atleast do something like shit or there will be nobody left soon...

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Uhm get Maya, whatever edition and export. I'll try opening this file.

I can open it in Maya but export to FBX failed. You have to open it yourself and figure out the details not to lose any data during the export.

All the people that asked for BE RPG to be changed wanted it to get better. Same with NF jeep. Same with BE rifle and ironsights. Probably the same with 1 million other suggestions. But they don't have to maintain it over long period of time. They don't even think how mod will end up after all these suggestions are implemented.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Woah wait, this is a really old version from dizzy's previous HDD, it might a lot more work to try and salvage it

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

i think so too
    i already got problems having 3ds max 2011 and 2010 on my PC (i cant crack 2010 because 2011 was installed first)
    same problem goes with maya as the crack is from the same crew
    and i found this problem posted several times (with maya) while searching for a solution for mine

so i am willing to model for this mod but i am not willing to completly reinstall my OS just for one damn model i should use to salvage

and i dont get you point bragging about the people wanting it better
    its not your part of the work and what im offering is only optional

first you say you dont want to give it to them at all and afterwards you say
    "hurry hurry they want a better version! give it to them fast!!!"
    seriously mootant
    its just a mod
    we got no contract here or something like that
    calm a bit down and leave the modeling to the modelers

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I don't understand what you're trying to say so I'll ignore it.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

hes trying to say, you should be more thankful hes doing stuff for you as hes not your employee but, like you, does this without payment in his sparetime ;)
    also firewarrior, when working with mootant - or actually only when argueing with him - you should start to grow a bit thicker skin or youll suffer from everything between headaches to heart attacks :p

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Basically 'stop being an asshole'.

I realise this is only marginally easier than stopping breathing but it would be nice if you could.

Firewarrior, holographic sights are very nice for games because they can combine the visual clarity of hud sights with the 'realism' of ironsights.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, really it doesn't even have to fit the gun, most holographic sights are bolted on after the gun is made anyway, so just make some sort of device which sticks on top of the gun and has a little glass screen on it. Make sure it doesn't block much of the view, because that's annoying, and try to make it fit with the BE theme, which means high technology.

For holographic sights the best source material is probably spectacles. They follow similar construction principles being glass suspended in a portable and durable frame.

Consider the reason glasses look the way they do, you have the old style glasses which have huge bulky frames due to manufacturing limitations, but they are also the most durable ones because of the bulk.

[​IMG]

This would translate to things like the huge ass american one they use in COD a lot:

[​IMG]

This one actually kinda sucks to use, as the huge frame blocks a lot of view.

Then you've got more modern ones with thin wire frames, these would be better for visibility and might be best for most of the guns:

[​IMG]

Probably corresponds to something like a reflex sight, not a true holographic sight but it's less bulky, so it has advantages:

[​IMG]

Then of course you have the very modern looking frameless glasses, or semi-framed glasses, which have no support on one part of the plate:

[​IMG]

They don't make sights like these because they are a bit flimsy, but considering that empires is in THE FUTURE it is reasonable that material physics have advanced by then and therefore BE at least should be producing sights with no obstruction on the top. I would suggest giving BE a plate with no top frame, and the NF one of the narrow framed reflex sights.

In either case however, the thing the plate is mounted on, the thing that clips onto the gun, that has some fancy electronics in it, so that needs to be a bit bulky, just make sure it doesn't take up a lot of the screen, people can look at that on the gun itself, not when they're ironsighting.

As to the actual dot, that could have problems. Personally I would suggest you tell mootant to do it because he can make it draw a nice HUD crosshair with pixel perfect accuracy when the sight is in place, much as the scout rifle does. If he won't do that however you should make the actual reticule out of polygons, because it will scale better than a texture. If you model in a little 2d crosshair then give it a semitransparent glowing red texture, it will have perfectly sharp edges and look much better than a textured one on any texture setting.

Aside from all that just have fun with it, you're making a futurisitic/steampunky laser sight, three things which are grand fun to design, so try a few out and post them in the art section, see which designs are popular and if mootant is a miserable bastard about it just ignore him.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

does there actually has to be a "dot" in the sight? can we make the crosshair reappear in the iron sight for certain guns and have a "so called" dynamic ironsight?

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

If mootant does it yes, I would suggest that he should because it would look better.

16. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

can you turn the NFHR into the resistance and liberation garand?

17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

too clumzy, less thick border? +1, Chris

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011