mapper restriction of wall build height

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Mar 30, 2010.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

a lot of maps have disallowed the use of walls because of the propensity for development of wall stalemates at chokepoints. allowing mappers to restrict the max buildability of walls would make walls viable as cover on infantry-heavy close-knit urban maps, like homeland. it would also prevent exploits in maps like this.

2. Empty

Empty Member

/signed

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

WANT It!

4. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

"Max Buildibility"?

Describe this and/or give an example, wall height, number of walls, etc....

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

I was thinking about like letting people build default level walls to full health and stuff, but it would be simpler just to link the health and height.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

So do you mean a max number of walls or max height of engy placed walls?

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

Oh, yeah, I was talking about max height specifically, but wallcount would also be nice to configure.

8. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

so the suggestion would be to make it a map based setting to allow unbuilt walls (the height portion) but not allow them to be fully built up.

I'd have to go against this, as we've seen in glycen city, unbuilt walls are easily used to block the doors and windows of BE's second point, also on district walls were used the same way to get up on roofs. Even locking down the max wallcount i've gotta go against.

I can't see any pro's to doing either.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i agree ... (with drummer)

i see where this is comming from (or i think at least), i think if we would have better tools to take down walls it would solve itself (actually a fix of damage taken by unbuilt walls might help already) and allow walls to be enabled on more maps.

as for the exploiting onto roofs, playerclips and engineer restrict brushes work wonders, or so i heard ... :p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

personally, i would say a beter counter for walls is more desired, i suggested a sticky range seismic that takes down a fully built wall segment and any directly next to it (so multiple thickness layers over each other, but not multiple segments of the same wall)

this way, if you can get close to the walls, they are easily destroyed, and if you want to keep your walls up, you better defend your walls

this way, no arbitrary limits need to be applied to walls, and decent wall defences can be made as long as you defend it

11. flasche

one hit sounds a bit over the top :D

12. OuNin

OuNin Member

it's faster to repair upgrade enemy walls

13. flasche

not if they get repaired from the other side :D

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

hence one hit

walls are nice, but if they arent defended besides by a gang of engies on the other side holding mousebutton they should go down

its just lame otherwise, and ether breaks a lot of maps, or has to be removed from those maps (i believe if something like i discribed before is implemented, there will be no need for wall restriction, other then some local "engineer build forbid brushes" to prevent exploiting)

15. flasche

so if it does 51% damage to a fully built wall and you can use another one in less time then a single engineer can repair it ... :o

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem is not with a single engineer

the problem is with a wall where engineers keep spamming wall after wall in layers and repair the living hell out of them

think that pug game with streets of fire with walls enabled that ended in a crashed server and walls slowly moved inch per inch backward without any casualties or gain as apc's kept spamming grenades to make the walls go down

17. flasche

you cant do anything against engies spamming wall after wall unless you force a small delay in between and that would suck bad (in all other cases where its essential that you can drop walls quickly)
    even if you use your wallbuster sticky what hinders the engi to just drop another one?

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

nothing, but its not built, so people can jump and shoot over

the instance i talk about is the instance where walls are disabled on infantry maps

a tight chokepoint can be kept walled up by a squad of engies, when a layer goes down, they just make a new one in seconds, and since there are always at least 4 or 5 layers up at one time

i have seen this happen over and over again, and its sad that a minor flaw in gameplay mechanic makes maps have to disable a large part of a classes benefits

19. flasche

i still think 2 of those stickies - if thats actually the right solution - would be better, in the end you can throw two or three of them aswell. i mean two whatever class should get them ...

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you want to maintain redundancy in your walls you will start to space out the layers

IF thats the problem

well, i will say that if a wall needs 2 of them to break and the problem is fixed (for example because you just need 2 of them and 2 people can break trough it with a coordinated attack or by attrition on the engineers

if it does the job, that is, possibly if anyone wants to try something like this, we could start with rougly a bit more then 50 % damage on all walls in its radius, then later we could up that if needed

IF its deemed a good solution, that is
    i personally stand in for this that it will do its job and increase the quality of infantry and normal maps while not needing the removal of walls from the map