Directional Compass

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Apr 10, 2009.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

Locating north on your time is easy. Locating north when you're under heavy fire and shit is hitting the fan and getting real, it's better if you had an immediate, exact reference.

2. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

North is always up

3. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

All I would like to have are directions (N, E, S, W) around the minimap. I still have to rethink about a second to get E and W. And I think that I'm to old to learn this :p
    Also mappers please put the coordinates on the minimap. Although I'm being commander for many times, I still searching them. :(
    [​IMG]

4. Empty

Empty Member

Shut your traps, there's no valid reason not to have a compass.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Would you like the game to do the shooting and the walking around for you as well? Remembering compass directions is not frigging difficult... If you can't do that I'm amazed you can remember how to breathe.

So don't use compass directions then... Say 'go over to that <highly visible landmark object> or 'go towards/away from the enemy' or 'follow that tank'.

That's just basic common sense, give instructions based on obvious elements of your surroundings. You wouldn't tell people to head for a tiny pixel big rock when there's a giant neon sign you can use as a reference point would you? Mappers should include obvious landmarks in their maps for this very reason as well.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. Empty

Empty Member

It's easier to glance down and see an N S W or E than it is to find your arrow on the minimap and work out your directions, I have to think about W and E for about 2 seconds before I remember which is which, all of it compounts to about 4-5 seconds of time spent figuring out what direction you have to go in, rather than 1 second checking the radar, and then adjusting accordingly, there is no valid reason to have no hud radar, we've got plenty of space down the bottom of the screen. I know there's the huge E-peen issue you guys have, but I mean if you're seperating players based on who can figure out NESW fastest then you're playing a seriously fucked up game.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It's NESW clockwise... It's like being confused about right and left. Right is east, left is west, up is north, down is south. Looking on the radar is hardly more difficult than looking at a compass band, zoom it in if you're incapable of seeing the giant arrow which is in the area on the map that you've been in for the last five minutes.

If you can't do it based on an arrow in a map then adding more things to look at isn't going to make it easier for the members of the empires special ed division to avoid walking into rocks.

8. Empty

Empty Member

I don't see that as a valid reason, it's just pathetic elitism, I thought your elitism was based on logic, not rubbish.

Chris. I am disappoint :s

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm not being elitist I'm being struck dumb by how difficult you seem to be finding it to perform the most basic of actions. I learned compass directions before I learned to use an analogue clock, and I'm still a shitload faster with compass directions than I am with analogue clocks because they have a shitload more positions and twice as many directions to check.

Every map in the world uses the same directions, and there's four of them. Not being able to do that is just mental disability, and no amount of things stuck on the hud will fix it. It's unfortunate but there's nothing I can do about it. Not to mention that it should be solved by better mapping anyway.

10. Empty

Empty Member

I know the directions, I just can't pull them out of my ass in 0.2 sec. Since we're playing a fast game that time matters. 90% of the players probably can't do it either.

11. Demented

Demented Member

What if the direction isn't shown on the compass because it only covers 180 degrees and you're looking in the wrong direction?

WHAT THEN!?!

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why are you going for map directions when you need to react in less than a second? The only instance where that is going to occur is if you're shooting someone, I don't stop to check the directional orientation of someone before I shoot them.

Exactly my point.

A compass bar is not going to make it easier for the hard of thinking, they're just going to stand there spinning round until the right letter appears in the middle, which is going to take just as long if not longer than pointing the minimap arrow at the thing on the minimap you want to go towards.

Hell if you want to waste time on a compass bar I don't care, I don't have to use the thing, but if you want to fix the problem you're not going to do it by adding one in.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  13. OuNin

OuNin Member

Since Empires maps have varied terrain and have visibly distinct landmarks.

14. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

If you guys can't immediately identify North South East Or West, then there's something very wrong with you.

7x8

If you took more than 1 second you can give up on life.

15. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

It's an improvement, but a pointless one.

16. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Basically Chris has it right.

Seriously, you SHOULD be able to pull it out of your ass within seconds.

I find it absolutely hilarious how some people still confuse north with south and east with west.

GET A BRAIN MORANS.

17. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I fail to see why you all spend so much damn time arguing about a change that harms you little and benefits other a bit.

Also: Chris, you are acting like a massive elitist prick. You are bitching about some tiny change and calling everyone stupid, while not presenting ANY reasonable argument against it except: (and I approximate)

"You are mentally disabled if you confuse your cardinal directions and handedness, because this never happens to anyone who is genetically superior like me!"

As someone who occasional confuses left and right, this makes you come off as an irredeemable prick. And yes, I do acknowledge that I exaggerated your statements a bit, but please in the future try to understand that not everyone is like you and that some people get confused by things that are absolutely basic.

P.S. I also have great difficulty reading analog clocks

18. Empty

Empty Member

*empty kills himself*
    I never learned my times tables by heart, doesn't mean I'm not in the top maths class.

19. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Its 56. 7x7 = 49 + 7 = 56.... yay meeeeee.... Also: Screw you, not everyone thinks the same way

20. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Wasn't Chris0132 color blind?
    So we can add NESW in green letters above red ground. Then his elitism isn't disturbed by our retarded compass. ;)