emp_ovaries (working name)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

So this is my next serious map. The setting will be the higher mountain regions where pinetrees and dry grass and moss are most common, with no vegetation whatsoever if you go much higher than that.

The layout: number 3 is the highest height level (right side = left side mirrored)
    This was my first layout, the last pic is more like how it'll be in the end

[​IMG]

How i'm placing the textures:

[​IMG]

Which areas are buildable: red = vegetation, brown = too detailed hilly to build, white is buildable (level 3 = white but NOT buildable)

[​IMG]

There's not much to be said.
    - The grey in north will be a huge military base. It will NOT just be flat concrete.
    - I think gameplay will be mostly north vs south (the south river forming somewhat the conflict area), as there's only 3 paths from north to south for vehicles.
    - River can be crossed with vehicles but only from the north up untill the top of the X where the refinery island is. Below that the river is too deep/steep
    - Tests of my textures:
    moss2 and rock6b
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/234836/emp_a2009/emp_a20090005.jpg
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/234836/emp_a2009/emp_a20090007.jpg
    ground4 and ground6
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/234836/emp_a2009/emp_a20090008.jpg

2. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Looks like Mayama's vagina map

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ah goddamnit is every layout taken these days?
    Nonetheless i'm gonna finish it.

4. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

How did you make those BEAUTYFULL textures?

5. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I layed out a similar style map once, but never really did anything with it. Basically, if you take where the middle 3 is, and make it a narrow path or something through a tall hill, then have both bases at the base of that waterfall, I think that will turn the map into the best possible gameplay. Just stick an invisible wall to prevent arty spam, or don't prevent weapons spam over the lake to force a team to move away from the first spawn.

I like the general flow of this layout, especially with the 3 ways across to the other side, each defendable, but too spread out to defend all 3 at once.

You could even make a cool nickname for that river. Like the cockblock canal.

6. Icefrenzy_TKER

Icefrenzy_TKER Member

lol wtf......map name...

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

mvalley is really emp_epenis....

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Layout looks awesome. Just looks like it might get cramped for everything you want to get in there.

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Needs more sexual innuendo

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

I steal them.

Well seriously all but 1 texture come from just 1 site:
    http://www.cgtextures.com/

There i just use a real life picture and edit it with photoshop, and do color corrections (mainly saturation, brightness and hue).
    Then i test them ingame to see which stick out too much (a good looking picture does not equal a good looking ingame texture) and i do some more color correction so they fit better. This is what i've done for the moss and the rock texture in the screenshots.

The rock texture is the only one i made from scratch using this insanely easy tutorial: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Rock_Textures_Creation. It's the texture i made for the new Arid where it is (dark)brown/gold colored. For this map i altered it to have a lot more contrast and changed it to white/lightblue. Bumpmaps do the rest.

Unfortunately those rock screenshots are the best i could take, the other textures don't go that well together at the moment.

Still the first 3 images easily cover 50% of the work. Planning is the most important step for me. With a plan i can make the same progress in an hour that i would need several days for otherwise.

I suck at coming up with names, so all the way untill it's finished i just use some stupid working name. On my pc the files are called emp_a2009 to know which year i started it and so that the files come first in every alphabetical list. "It looks like ovaries" was the first remark i had after showing the layout and it fits the mentality of the empires community, so for the moment ovaries it is

Edit:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/234836/emp_a2009/buildableVF.jpg

The picture shows somewhat the size of the BE VF.
    Keep in mind that for vehicles the brown areas are just as accessible as the white areas

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The map NEEDS intersting places. You are a awesome displacement mapper
    but for example emp_bush has one problem. All those 9 places around the
    center look quite similar, resulting in me always looking at the minimap to
    see where I am. You could place props and architecture that makes every
    part of the map different.

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

I agree
    I often tried it but i always fail and in the end i remove my changes.

The main problem with area specific displacements is that source fucks up intersecting displacements (shadows at the edge)
    The main problem with area specific buildings is that i suck at brushwork
    The main problem with area specific props is that i can't model and every existing prop is overused like hell
    The main problem with area specific effects like a waterfall is that i can't make particle effects and rarely manage to get some cool effect working like it should. (nicely flowing water for example)

It's gonna be a pain already to find someone willing to make pinetrees. And no trees with lods for every 30 meter cause i can't stand having hundreds of props constantly zip bigger or smaller very obviously.

I can make caves as they align with the surrounding surfaces, or some bad looking bunkers, but that's pretty much it. :(

13. Empty

Empty Member

If you suck at brushwork why are you a mapper ._.

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

Because there aren't enough maps and even my maps are better than a lot of other customs, especially those customs from the time when i started to map.

My interest in mapping is about the same as my interest in real life: nature
    I hate cities in real life too. I never look at buildings, always at the yards. It's no wonder i have no idea how to create good looking constructions. I just don't think like that.

Everyone can always ask if they can work on a map with me. I'm always willing to accept help for brushwork or effects. Credits would be evenly divided.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  15. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

How about the pines from HL2, i have those around here somewhere.

16. Silk

Silk Mapper

Thanks they look awesome, with smooth lod levels !

I've just placed 200 of those props to see how expensive they are. With some luck they're optimized well.

17. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Silk is just humble he actually pwns at mapping.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

You misspelled fapping

19. Silk

Silk Mapper

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

The black waterfall looks awesome