Adding a chassis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mashav, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

In order to add a new chassis, there needs to be some kind of change to the client.dll Right?

I was trying to see how easy it was to do and made a mk3 AFV, but I can't seem to get it to work. I changed the "vehicle_chassis" to include the Mk3, but it still doesn't work. It just crashes like I'm missing a { or } but I checked, and they're all there.

Am I missing something in the scripts or am I correct in thinking you need to have a hardcoded change in order to add a chassis?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

mk3 LTs with nukes?

3. Drag

Drag Member

I was able to put in additional chassis whenever I wanted, you must have done something wrong. I can't tell you what though without information

4. Mashav

Mashav Member

What I did was rather simple.

I just copied the mk2 chassis, Renamed Mk3. Did some changes to health, weight, and mg slot.

Then copied the Mk2 preset. Renamed Mk3.

Went into vehicle_chassis. Added the script and preset.

Then I tried to run it, and it wouldn't.

So the only things I changed/added were vehicle_nf_light_tank_mkiii, vehicle_nf_light_tank_mkiii_preset and vehicle_chassis.

I even tested the changes I made by renameing it back to mk2 and putting it in and it worked fine.

Did I miss something?

Also, while you're here drag... Do you mind if I use your Unbalanced Weapon scripts as a starting point for a little project?

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

mashav, maybe we should talk ;) add me on steam

6. Mashav

Mashav Member

Just did... You're not online

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i am, let me add you

8. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Hmm...

In scripts folder, if you copied vehicles_imp_afv_mkii.txt and renamed it to vehicles_imp_afv_mkiii.txt, did you also change the "Name" "Imperial AFV MKII" line to have MKIII?

The other values there shouldn't matter...

9. Mashav

Mashav Member

yes
    [​IMG]

10. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Well... Can't remember what else could be wrong right now.

So I'm guessing you gave an invalid value somewhere or you are missing a bracket somewhere or you misspelt some line.

11. Drag

Drag Member

Have you tried giving it it's own physics script with correct folders and whatnot?

It's unlikely you tried that, but giving a vehicle bomb bays didn't work for me :P

Yea yea use what you want but I heard there are atleast 3 others using them and/or working on something like that.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Remember that each vehicle has it's own engine script now, I would also add anthing that you are adding to the bottom of the lists just in case the order in the scripts is important.

so you'll need to edit these scripts:

vehicle_chassis
    vehicle_engines
    vehicle_(team)_(chassis name)
    vehicle_(team)_(chassis)_preset (this is not used in the game and you may be able to go without it if you don't put this file in the vehicle_chassis script)

(team)/vehicles/ground/(chassis)/(vehicel)

Those are all the scripts I believe that you need to edit.

Also watch out for redundancy, the engine effects for each chassis seem to be repeated 2 times, once in the vehicle_engines and once in the sub folders.
    I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of the engine scripts, so I dunno.

13. Drag

Drag Member

For the armor script the last armor always has to be the comm armor. It could be the same for engines so I left the order intact. (first (Index 0) and last)

To be more precise the preset is used ingame but in theory it shouldn't be too bad if you don't have any. On the other hand the game might not be able to write to a non existing preset file (which it does when you build a vehicle)

vehicle_engines.txt engine setting override their counterparts in the vehicle physics script (the ones in the subfolders) But since half of the important stuff is still in the physics script you usually want to tinker with both.

Be sure that the research item you specify in the chassis script exists :P no research item: remove/comment the whole line out.

Also if you changed the MG slot on it that might cause problems, to what did you change it?

14. Mashav

Mashav Member

The Mk3s are up and running fine now.

I just did what I thought I did before, (simple copy-paste, change name, change other values for difference) and it worked fine.

I guess I must have done something wrong last time, but I don't know what.

Thanks for the help anyways.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it happens, i had to remake a task from scratch once with programming because the 5 parts seperate worked well bt if i combined the parts they didnt

i recoded it exactly the same and suddenly they did work : / i never fond the bug